Salty pretzel rods dipped in layers of sweet caramel and chocolate. These easy Christmas chocolate covered pretzel rods are a must-have this holiday season!
If you think pretzels are only made for snacking, think again! They work wonderfully in desserts and are included in some of my favorite Christmas treat recipes, like Christmas pretzel hugs, rolo pretzel reindeer and rolo pretzel sandwiches.
These chocolate covered pretzel rods are one of my favorite Christmas treats. Growing up, I remember one of my neighbors bringing them over as soon as the holiday season began. It was something we looked forward to every year. Little did I know, they are super easy to make!
The caramel layer is optional, but I definitely recommend adding it. The sweet chocolate paired with the rich caramel and salty pretzel is absolute heaven. If you love all things sweet and salty like me, I have no doubt that these chocolate pretzel rods will be high on your list.
They’re so fun to decorate and make a great Christmas gift for a neighbor, teacher or friend. Everyone always loves them and may even request another batch next season. ;)
I’ve found that chocolate wafers work best when making this recipe. They’re easy to melt and give a super smooth finish. Plus the consistency on the pretzel is just right…not too thin or thick. I like to use both semi-sweet chocolate wafers and white chocolate wafers.
This layer is optional, although I love adding it! It adds the perfect sweet and salty flavor. To make it easy, I used melted down Peters caramel, but you could make your own caramel as well using my microwave caramel recipe or homemade caramels. Werther’s also work great.
How to make chocolate covered pretzel rods
- Dip in caramel (optional). Melt the caramels until smooth, then dip pretzels in the caramel about 2/3 the way.
- Dip in chocolate. Melt the chocolate wafers in a double broiler. Or melt in the microwave for 1 minute at 50% power (stir and cook additional 30 seconds if needed). Then dip the pretzel into the melted chocolate 2/3 the way. Lay dipped pretzel onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Add toppings. Immediately add the desired toppings, then let set completely.
Don’t forget the best part: decorating with all your favorite toppings! My must-haves are mini M&M’s, sprinkles and colored chocolates. I love using the red Wilton melts for Christmas pretzels.
- Mini M&M’s
- Colored chocolates
- Crushed Oreo’s
- Crushed peppermint
- Mini chocolate chips
The great thing about these chocolate covered pretzel rods is that they will last for up to 2 weeks if stored in an airtight container or bag. They’re perfect to make a few days in advance if you know your upcoming schedule is going to be super busy.
Just make sure your container is closed or the bag is sealed tightly…no one likes stale pretzels!
Perfect for gift giving!
This treat makes a great neighbor gift! I always love to give a gift from the kitchen because I feel it’s a little more personal and thoughtful. And because…who doesn’t love chocolate?
Simply wrap the chocolate pretzel rods in one of these tall cellophane treat bags and tie with a ribbon. You can even add a cute Christmas tag for an extra special touch. So easy and festive!
More Christmas treats:
- Sugar Cookie Truffles
- 3-Ingredient Oreo Balls
- Chocolate Turtle Candy
- Christmas Crack Toffee
- Peppermint Bark
Chocolate Pretzel Rods
- 16 pretzel rods
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate wafers
- 1 cup white chocolate wafers
- 1 cup caramels , optional
Optional toppings: chopped nuts, mini m&m's, sprinkles, crushed oreos, coconut, toffee, etc.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- If double dipping with caramel, melt the caramels down and then dip the pretzels in the caramel about 2/3 the way.
- Melt the melting wafers in a double broiler or in the microwave for 1 minute at 50%. Stir and cook an additional 30 seconds if needed. Stir until smooth. Then dip the pretzel into the chocolate 2/3 the way. Then lay onto the parchment paper. Add desired toppings immediately. Then allow to set.