These red white and blue rice krispie treats are such a fun and festive recipe that makes the perfect showstopper for your Memorial Day or 4th of July BBQs! Both kids and adults will love this yummy dessert!
One of my family’s favorite desserts to make during the summer is rice krispies. This patriotic version is a fun take on the traditional recipe and will be a hit at your holiday get-togethers. I made them last year and all the kids (even adults) LOVED them!
Adding the star sprinkles and red, white and blue M&M’s really takes these 4th of July rice krispie treats over the top. You could definitely still make them without adding any food coloring/layers and just add the sprinkles and M&M’s. They do take a little more time (and dishes) than the traditional recipe, but they are so worth it! This is truly an amazing dessert dish that the crowd will remember and request year after year. I always enjoy making red, white and blue recipes around Memorial Day or 4th of July and these rice krispies might be my new favorite!
How to make 4th of July rice krispie treats
These red white and blue rice krispie treats are easy to make and are definitely worth it! Follow the simple steps below to get started.
- Divide your butter and marshmallows in 3 separate microwavable bowls.
- Cook the first bowl for 1 minute and then stir. Cook an additional 15 seconds if needed and then stir in the blue food coloring. Once the mixture is smooth, stir in 3 cups of krispies until combined. Then press into the bottom of the dish.
- Repeat with the 2nd layer and red food coloring. Repeat for the top layer with no food coloring.
- Top immediately with sprinkles and M&M’s if desired.
Below are a few different ways you can decorate the rice krispies to make them super festive:
- Add red, white and blue M&M’s
- Add sprinkles on top
- Melt red and blue candy melts in the microwave and then drizzle on top for more color
- Use a star shaped cookie cutter to cut out the treats
- Mix sprinkles into the top plain layer for a little more color
More helpful tips
- Use a spatula or piece of wax paper to push down each layer so they are compact in the dish.
- You could skip dying the layers and simply decorate with festive M&M’s and sprinkles on top.
- You can melt the butter and marshmallows on the stove if preferred, but I’d still recommend dividing it into 3 batches.
- Let them cool before cutting, this way they have time to set and will hold their shape.
- A buttered plastic knife is the best way to cut the rice krispies into squares.
For more patriotic recipes, check out:
Red White and Blue Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 16 cups mini marshmallows (about 2 bags)
- 9 cups rice krispies
- 1/4 cup festive sprinkles (optional)
- 1/2 cup M&M's (optional)
- red and blue food coloring
- Butter a 9×13″ dish and set aside.
- Place 2 Tablespoons butter and 4 cups of marshmallows in 3 separate microwavable bowls. Cook the first bowl for 1 minute and then stir. Cook an additional 15 seconds if needed and then stir in the blue food coloring. Once the mixture is smooth, stir in 3 cups of krispies until combined. Then press into the bottom of the dish. You can either butter your hands or use a piece of wax paper to push down the layers.
- Repeat with the 2nd layer and red food coloring. Repeat for the top layer with no food coloring. Top immediately with sprinkles and M&M’s if desired. Cover with plastic wrap until ready to serve. Butter your knife (I find a plastic knife works best) and then cut into squares. Enjoy!