This saltine cracker toffee recipe is my grandma’s recipe and made with just 3 simple ingredients in 15 minutes! A seriously addicting treat that’s super easy to make.
Table of Contents
Grandma’s Saltine Cracker Toffee
Toffee is one of my favorite types of candy. Although my homemade toffee recipe is pretty simple to make – this saltine toffee is even more simple!
My grandma is one of my biggest influences in the kitchen, so I thought I would share one of her favorite treats. There are three things you could always find at her house: Tang, homemade caramels and saltine cracker toffee.
Cracker Toffee Ingredients
You can’t go wrong with these three ingredient saltine cracker toffee treats! This is a single layer dessert that is made easily and eaten in minutes.
- Saltine crackers: The base of the toffee is made with a layer of saltine crackers. The salty flavor from the crackers tastes amazing with the sweet caramel.
- Butter: This adds a rich flavor to the caramel toffee mixture and helps balance out the sweetness from the brown sugar.
- Brown sugar: Make sure to use light brown sugar and pack it tightly into your measuring cup.
- Optional toppings: Chocolate chips, chopped nuts, sprinkles or other festive toppings.
Substitutions and Variations
There are plenty of ways to make this cracker toffee your own!
- Type of crackers: Swap the saltines with graham crackers, use pretzel thins or Ritz crackers.
- Chocolate: If using chocolate for a topping try milk chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, white chocolate or even butterscotch chips.
- Topping options: Sliced almonds or chopped pecans are my favorite! Others include M&M’s, sprinkles, crushed pretzels, crushed candy canes or peppermints or toffee bites.
How to Make Saltine Cracker Toffee
When you need a quick and easy holiday dessert, make this your go-to saltine cracker toffee candy recipe; it’s super simple!
- Line pan with crackers. Cover a 9×13″ jelly roll pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. Then fully line the baking sheet with saltine crackers ensuring there are no spaces between crackers.
- Cook caramel mixture. Cook butter in a saucepan over low heat until slightly melted. Then add in brown sugar and stir until butter is completely melted. Turn heat to medium and bring mixture to a boil for about 3 minutes, or until it thickens and has turned an amber caramel color. Stir constantly.
- Pour caramel over crackers. Remove pan from heat after 3 minutes and pour the caramel over the saltines. Then spread it out evenly with a knife.
- Bake the toffee. Bake at 350°F in oven until lightly golden, about 7 to 8 minutes. Don’t over bake! Remove from oven and if using add chocolate chips, allow to melt then spread melted chocolate using a butter knife.
This supremely addicting treat is pretty magical! Saltine crackers (you can substitute Ritz crackers) are covered with a buttery brown sugar mixture then baked until it turns into caramel with a toffee texture. It’s the best combination of sweet and salty especially when topped with optional chocolate and nuts. It’s often referred to as Christmas crack as it is so indulgent!
Set your stove top to medium heat and stir together the three ingredients. Slowly watch it blend and melt together. Once it starts to boil, your mixture is ready to pour.
You can either spray the cookie sheet, place parchment paper, or aluminum foil down to help keep the saltine crackers from sticking to the pan.
One of my favorite things about this saltine crack is that it will keep for up to 2 weeks! Just make sure to store it in an airtight container so that it stays fresh. It makes the perfect treat to gift during the holidays!
Yes, you can! Simply place in a covered container and freeze up to 3 months. Let it sit at room temperature about 20 minutes before serving or enjoy cold. It may change texture slightly but will be delicious.
5 star review
I’ve been making this for a few years now. I love the simplicity of the recipe, I can throw it together quickly! Every time I make this people rave about it!– Melissa
More Easy Candy RecipesBrowse all
Saltine Cracker Toffee Recipe
- Cookie Sheet
- 50 saltine crackers
- 2 sticks butter (cubed)
- 1 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- chocolate chips , I use about 2 cups
- sliced almonds , about 1/2 cup
- chopped pecans , about 1/2 cup
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 9×13" jelly roll pan with aluminum foil. Spray foil with cooking spray and then line pan with saltine crackers.
- Place butter in a medium-sized pot over low medium/low heat. Stir until butter is slightly melted, then add sugar. Once butter is melted, bring to a boil over medium-heat for 3 minutes, or until it thickens and sugar has dissolved. Stir constantly. You want the butter and sugar to be combined and turn an amber caramel color.
- After 3 minutes, remove pan from heat and pour evenly over the saltine crackers. Spread mixture with a knife. Place pan in oven and bake for 7-8 minutes or until lightly golden brown. The mixture will spread evenly over the crackers as it bakes.
- Remove pan from oven. If you're adding chocolate sprinkle the chocolate chips over top and allow to sit for 5 minutes (or place back in the oven for 1 minute). Then spread with a spatula and sprinkle with nuts if desired. Allow to cool.
- Allow the toffee to cool and then break pieces off of foil or use a sharp knife to cut.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!