Skillet breakfast potatoes -easy, delicious and family friendly. Potato lovers will go crazy over these!
This is one of those basic recipes that goes perfect with just about anything. We love to serve these skillet breakfast potatoes with eggs but they go great with pancakes as well. My family never seems to fill up on just pancakes so these add some sustenance to the meal. These potatoes are even great served with a big juicy steak. Just add a big dollop of sour cream and you’ve got yourself some delicious loaded baked potatoes. Mmm… seriously, there is nothing better than potatoes loaded with bacon, cheese and sour cream.
Yum! Get in my belly!
I like to top my potatoes with a fried egg and salsa. The green chiles from Old El Paso also adds the perfect flavor to these potatoes. My kids didn’t even notice they were in there.
These potatoes really are so versatile and easy to make. Enjoy!
Skillet breakfast potatoes
- 3 large baking potatoes or 6 small red potatoes
- 6 pieces bacon cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 4 ounces 4 oz can chopped green chiles or 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheese
- Wash your potatoes and then pierce several times with a fork. Cook in the microwave for 10-15 minutes or until fork tender. Remove and allow to cool.
- While the potatoes are cooking, cook the bacon in a frying pan or large skillet over medium heat. Cook until crisp and then remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Place onions and green chiles in the pan with bacon grease and saute until the onions are translucent. Next, dice the potatoes (I like to remove some of the skin first) and then place in the pan. Add salt and pepper and then stir around, breaking up any large pieces. Add cheese and bacon on top and turn heat to low and allow to cook until the cheese is melted.
- Enjoy with a fried egg, salsa and sour cream on top. We also like to roll these potatoes up in a tortilla with scrambled eggs to make breakfast burritos. They even taste great as a dinner side. So many yummy ways to enjoy them!