These crispy skillet breakfast potatoes are loaded with cheese, bacon and onions. Easy, delicious and family-friendly. Potato lovers will go crazy over them!
This breakfast potatoes recipe is one of those basic dishes that goes perfect with just about anything! We love to serve them with scrambled eggs or omelettes, but they go great with pancakes or waffles as well. My family never seems to fill up on just pancakes, so they help add some substance to the meal.
Another great thing about skillet potatoes is that they don’t just have to be served with breakfast! They taste great served with a big, juicy steak. Just add a big dollop of sour cream and you’ve got yourself some delicious loaded baked potatoes. Mmm… seriously, there is nothing better than potatoes loaded with bacon, cheese and sour cream.
What kind of potatoes to use?
I typically use russet potatoes (aka baking potatoes), but you could also use red potatoes as well. I’ve found that these types get the crispiest on the outside, while still remaining soft and tender on the inside.
Do you have to boil them before frying?
Yes, I recommend either boiling or microwaving the potatoes prior to frying them. I typically microwave mine, as I find that method easier and more convenient. To microwave, pierce with a fork a few times then cook in microwave for 10-15 minutes, until fork tender.
If boiling, simply add water to your pot and bring to a boil (be sure to add enough water to cover potatoes). Then reduce heat to medium low, add pierced potatoes and cover. Cook for 15-20 minutes until fork tender.
Do you have to peel the potatoes?
I like to remove some of the skin, but not all. Keeping some of the skin helps to make for crispy breakfast potatoes. I’d recommend peeling about half of the skin prior to frying.
How do you dice them evenly?
To start, slice the potato in half vertically. Then turn each half over so that it’s laying flat side down. Slice each half into vertical slices that are about half an inch wide. Once you’ve vertically sliced all your pieces, lay the slices flat side down on your cutting board.
This is when you’ll dice the pieces horizontally to make cubes. Each cube should be about half inch to an inch wide. I like to line my slices up in a row, then dice them horizontally all at once so that they’re all the same size. This is also way quicker too!
How to make breakfast potatoes
- Wash and piece potatoes. Cook for 10-15 minutes in microwave until tender. Remove and let cool.
- While potatoes are cooking, cook bacon in frying pan over medium heat. Cook until crisp, then place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Add onions and chiles in pan with bacon grease and saute until translucent. Then dice potatoes and place in pan. Add S&P and then stir. Then add cheese and bacon on top and turn heat to low until cheese is melted.
- Enjoy with a fried egg, salsa and sour cream on top. Yum!
- 3 large baking potatoes , or 6 small red potatoes
- 6 pieces bacon , cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup onion , chopped
- 4 ounce can chopped green chiles , or 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheese
- Wash your potatoes and then pierce several times with a fork. Cook in the microwave for 10-15 minutes or until fork tender. Remove and allow to cool.
- While the potatoes are cooking, cook the bacon in a frying pan or large skillet over medium heat. Cook until crisp and then remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Place onions and green chiles in the pan with bacon grease and saute until the onions are translucent. Next, dice the potatoes (I like to remove some of the skin first) and then place in the pan. Add salt and pepper and then stir around, breaking up any large pieces. Add cheese and bacon on top and turn heat to low and allow to cook until the cheese is melted.
- Enjoy with a fried egg, salsa and sour cream on top. We also like to roll these potatoes up in a tortilla with scrambled eggs to make breakfast burritos. They even taste great as a dinner side. So many yummy ways to enjoy them!