Crumble topping is a combination of only 3 simple ingredients: butter, flour and sugar. It adds the perfect sweetness and crunch to any muffin, quick bread or pie!
I recently just made my pumpkin crumb muffins with this delicious topping and let me tell you, it was the star of the show! It’s the perfect combination of rich, buttery and sweet and makes a great crumb topping for muffins. I could eat it by the spoonful!
This easy crumble topping is the perfect way to add some extra pizazz to your baked goods. It can be whipped up in just 5 minutes and only requires 3 simple ingredients that I bet you already have in your fridge and pantry. You can sprinkle this delicious crumb topping over breads, pies, bars, muffins…you name it. One of my favorite recipes to use it in is this brown bag apple pie. It also tastes delicious on top of this razzleberry pie or sprinkled over these banana muffins as well.
3 simple ingredients
The base recipe starts with 3 simple ingredients (amounts included in printable recipe below). Feel free to mix in an additional spice or two for even more flavor, like cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. You can even mix in some chopped pecans for an extra crunch.
- Butter: Use salted butter and melt it down in the microwave.
- Flour: All-purpose flour works great.
- Sugar: I love to use granulated sugar or half sugar and half brown sugar.
How to make crumble topping
COMBINE the flour, sugar and melted butter in a bowl. Sprinkle in cinnamon if using. Then use a spoon to combine the mixture until crumbs start to form (do not mix until smooth). Refrigerate until ready to use.
SPRINKLE the crumb topping evenly on top of muffins, pies or breads. Then bake in the oven according to directions.
More ways to use crumb topping:
- Berry crumble pie
- Pumpkin streusel coffee cake
- Strawberry rhubarb crisp
- Caramel apple pie bars
- Raspberry crumble bars
- Apple cranberry pie
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar or brown sugar (I like to a do half and half)
- 6 Tablespoons salted butter (slightly melted)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- Combine the flour, sugar and melted butter in a bowl. Add cinnamon if desired. Combine the mixture with a spoon until it has formed crumbs.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Then evenly spread across the muffins or pie.