This crunchy, crispy, and melt-in-your-mouth buttery streusel topping is as addicting as you’d think! This sweet brown sugar, cinnamon, and oat mixture comes together in minutes and is the perfect way to top off all of your muffins, cakes, and pies!
An Easy Streusel Recipe
The streusel topping is that crunchy, buttery, sweet crisp oat topping that sits on top of muffins, banana bread, coffee cake, crisps & cobblers. You know, that delicious sweet crunchy stuff you pick off first because it’s too good to resist!
It’s a delicious finishing touch to all kinds of baked goods and is a simple combination of butter, flour, oats, and brown sugar. Streusel is such an easy way to enhance any dessert and comes together so quickly, you’ll want to find any excuse to use it.
Streusel Topping vs. Crumble Topping
The difference between a crumble topping and a streusel topping is that you make a streusel topping with oats. That’s it! The two recipes are so similar that they can often be used interchangeably. So much so, that people sometimes call them by the wrong name. For this oatmeal streusel topping, there are oats in it, but you’re welcome to opt to make it without and it will be just as delicious!
Boost the flavor: Cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice are delicious spices that can be added to both a streusel and a crumble topping to add a little more essence of delicious fall flavors. Though, it can be used for any reason and on any occasion!
- Gluten-free. To make this gluten-free, substitute with a 1:1 all-purpose gluten-free flour.
- Type of oats. You can use old-fashioned or instant oats for this recipe. I do prefer the taste and texture of the old-fashioned oats.
- Melt the butter. Melt the butter slightly so it combines easily and crumbles nicely without big chunks of butter.
- Flavor. Omit the cinnamon for a basic (equally awesome) streusel.
Favorite Ways to Use Streusel
You won’t find a shortage of uses for a tasty streusel! The best thing about it is you can switch up the toppings for crumbles and on cobblers and vice versa!
- Pumpkin Crisp or Apple Crisp
- Caramel Apple Pie Bars
- Berry Crumble Pie
- Pumpkin Streusel Coffee Cake
- Pumpkin Crumb Muffins
- Peach Cobbler or Apple Cobbler
Optional: 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and butter with a fork or pastry mixer. Then mix in the oatmeal and brown sugar. Add nuts if desired.
- Sprinkle the crumble over muffins, cakes or quick breads before baking.