This healthy acai berry bowl is a sweet and simple way to combine fresh juice and your favorite frozen fruits. A thick, creamy smoothie bowl ready to be customized with all the best toppings is a quick and easy breakfast, perfect for adults and kids alike!
Acai bowls are one of my favorites to get on vacation. I had my first one in Hawaii a couple of years ago and knew I needed to figure out how to make my own at home. I saw a bottle of acai juice at Costco last weekend and was excited to experiment. I made this delicious smoothie bowl, as well as a traditional acai smoothie. Both were so delicious!
Smoothie bowls are all the rage in juice and smoothie bars and places that cater to plant-based eating, among many other places. They’re usually vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free which makes them healthy but can be quite expensive! So, not only am I excited to bring a little vacation nostalgia to my home, but also to have a budget-friendly diy acai smoothie bowl that I can make at home anytime I want!
Fresh juice, a sweet and tart flavor, an abundance of nutrients, can you imagine a better, more refreshing way to start your day? Completely customizable, this acai berry smoothie base is great to add whatever toppings you’d like. Have fun with it!
What’s the difference between a smoothie and a smoothie bowl?
The truth is, not much! The major difference is really how you enjoy them and the toppings you add to a bowl. One is meant to be sipped through a straw and can be gulped down in a hurry. The other is meant to be enjoyed with a spoon (almost gazpacho-like), slowly all the while admiring the different colors, textures, and flavors in every bite.
How to make acai bowl
- Prep: All toppings are optional, so you’ll want to prep whichever you are using ahead of time. Have them cut and ready to go. This might include sliced bananas, berries, granola. Some might even add nuts, seeds, and chocolate chips!
- Combine & blend: Combine the acai juice, frozen strawberries, and frozen bananas into a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. If you’re finding it too thick feel free to add a bit more juice to thin it out. If you’d like it a little thicker, add some more strawberries. A smoothie bowl is typically on the thicker side, otherwise, it could get a little messy. You also want it sturdy enough for the toppings to sit on top before they sink to the bottom. At least until you get a picture for the ‘gram!
- Pour: Grab one large bowl or two larger bowls and pour out the smoothie. Top with desired toppings and serve immediately.
Acai bowl toppings
The sky is the limit to what toppings to add. It can all depend on what flavors you like, how many added nutrients you’re looking for, the texture balance you want, and of course, just how pretty you want it to look!
Optional toppings could include:
- Sliced banana
- Granola or muesli
- Nut butters
- Hemp seeds
- Flax seeds
- Chia seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Cacao nibs
- Chocolate chips
- Flaked coconut
- Goji berries
Storing and freezing
Store. You’re going to want to treat this like you would a smoothie because that’s exactly what it is. Smoothies are best enjoyed immediately, otherwise, you can go ahead and freeze the blended smoothie until ready to use.
Freeze. This acai smoothie bowl freezes well. Once you are ready to use it again, thaw just enough to make for easier blending, and then blend as you would your smoothie. You may need to add a little more juice to help you out. Blending frozen smoothie will result in a nice thick blend, ready to be added back into a bowl and enjoyed!
More healthy smoothie recipes:
- PB&J smoothie bowl
- Mango smoothie bowl
- Strawberry banana smoothie
- Berry protein smoothie
- Watermelon smoothie
Acai Berry Bowl
- 1 cup acai juice
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/4 banana (sliced)
- 1/4 cup berries (more if desired)
- 1-2 Tablespoons granola
Optional: Extra fruit, Coconut, Peanut butter, Honey, Chia Seeds
- Prepare toppings and have them cut ready to go.
- Combine the acai, strawberries and banana in a blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. Add more juice if you need to thin it out, or more strawberries if you'd like it thicker.
- Pour into a large bowl for 2 smaller bowls. Add toppings and serve immediately.