Tender shredded pulled pork smothered in tangy BBQ sauce and served on a toasted hamburger bun. This BBQ pork sandwich recipe is an easy, no-fail dinner idea that takes just 5 minutes to prep!
Table of Contents
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
Whenever we make my easy BBQ pulled pork, we almost always serve it on hamburger buns with our favorite toppings. It makes the absolute perfect sandwich and has the best sweet, tangy, and smoky flavor from the homemade BBQ sauce.
This BBQ pulled pork sandwich is the jack of all trades! It makes a great dinner or lunch dish to take to a BBQ or to make when entertaining. It makes enough meat to easily serve to a crowd, or to have leftovers for your family again the next day.
The easiest part about this recipe is that the slow cooker (or instant pot) does all the work for you. Just add the meat in with the BBQ sauce and spices and let it work its magic. Then all you need to do at dinner time is shred and serve on buns with your favorite toppings. An easy 5-ingredient crockpot meal for the win!
We love serving our sandwiches with potato chips or a side of creamy baked macaroni and cheese. If we have any leftover meat, we’ll use it to make a pulled pork quesadilla or BBQ nachos the next day. There are so many ways to customize this meal to make it your own!
Pulled Pork Ingredients
Get ready to enjoy the best pulled pork sandwich with these simple ingredients! Tender and juicy pork shredded into pieces after being slow cooked in the crockpot. It is an easy dinner that kids to adults all love!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Pork loin: This is a fattier part of the meat, making this even better in the slow cooker. This will help keep the meat tender and juicy.
- Salt: Kosher salt is thicker salt that helps tenderize and balance out the flavors.
- Black pepper: Add in a bit of a kick that will add flavor and texture.
- BBQ sauce: Make a homemade barbecue sauce or pick your favorite kind and brand in
- Liquid smoke: A delicious smoky and woody flavoring. Liquid smoke gives it that woodsy flavor with a liquid content that can be poured over the top of the pork.
- Hamburger buns: Grab your favorite type of hamburger bun that will hold the pork loin inside.
How to Make Crockpot Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Take your pork recipe to the next level using this simple slow cooker recipe! Add all your ingredients to one pot and cook together. Let the slow cooker do all the work!
- Prepare. Wash pork and then pat dry.
- Combine. Place in the slow cooker. Pierce pork several times. Add 1/2 cup water. Pour BBQ sauce and liquid smoke over the top. Then sprinkle salt and pepper on top. Cook on low for 10 hours, or until it easily shreds.
- Shred. Remove pork and shred with forks. Remove any excess fat.
- Rest. Place back in the pot and let sit in the juices for 15 minutes, or until ready to serve.
- Serve. Serve pork warm on a bun. Add desired toppings such as slaw.
Tips for Making the Best BBQ Pork Sandwich
Use these helpful tips to make the best pulled pork sandwich recipe! Here are some ways to make it even better and easier to make. Follow these tips to learn about your slow cooker, using different types of pork, and what liquid smoke does. It is the perfect combination!
- Type of pork. The best type to use is a boneless pork loin or shoulder. Both are a bit fattier, which makes them perfect for slow cooking or pressure cooking. The meat gets super tender and will basically fall apart when shredding.
- Liquid smoke. You don’t have to add this, although I highly recommend it. It adds the same smoky flavor that you would get from wood-smoking the meat on the oven or grill but without the work!
- Keep the lid on. As tempting as it is, don’t remove the lid to peek inside. The lid should stay covered for the full 10 hours so that the steam doesn’t escape and keeps it super tender.
- Let sit. After shredding the meat, add the pork back into the pot with the sauce. Mix it together and let it sit in the sauce for about 15 minutes. The meat will be more flavorful this way.
- Toast your bun. I always like to toast my hamburger bun before assembling my sandwich. Toasting the bread keeps it from getting soggy from the sauce. You can even spread a little garlic butter on your bun before toasting for extra flavor.
Favorite Sandwich Toppings
Add another layer of dimension to your BBQ pork sandwich by piling on any of the delicious toppings below. Add some crunch with fresh cabbage or coleslaw, a bite of acidity with pickles, or a sweet flavor with some grilled pineapple.
- Creamy coleslaw (or plain fresh cabbage)
- Blue cheese crumbles
- Pickled onions
- Sliced cheese
There are so many options and variations to add to your pork sandwich. Coleslaw is always a favorite topping that is fresh and cool. Onion rings are a fun addition and everyone always loves bacon. Sliced pickles, pickled jalapenos, or pickled veggies taste delicious. Make it spicy with jalapenos or pepperoncini.
Condiments are more of a substance with these pork sandwiches. Pineapple slices and avocado slices are great ways to switch up the pulled pork sandwich recipe. BBQ sauce is a classic condiment but add in ketchup, dijon mustard, or mustard are all great choices.
You can usually make four to five sandwiches from one pound of pulled pork. This will vary depending on the size of the bun, how much pork is used on each bun, and what toppings are added in.
Sides for Pulled Pork Sandwiches
The good news is that just about anything can be served alongside these pork sandwiches. Keep it simple with potato chips, or make one of your favorite easy potluck dishes.
- Potato chips
- Loaded potato salad
- Corn on the cob
- Crockpot baked beans
- Macaroni and cheese
- French fries
- Pasta salad
- Fresh watermelon
5 star review
“My family loves this one, and even asks for it! Bbq pork sandwiches are a staple with us.”-Katie
Any leftover pork will make a great freezer meal on a busy weeknight. Let it cool completely, then transfer to a freezer bag. Make sure to seal all the air out so that the meat stays fresh and doesn’t get freezer burn. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Thaw in the fridge overnight when ready to enjoy. Then heat in the microwave or skillet until warm. You may need to mix in a splash of water or broth if the sauce seems a little dry. Or feel free to mix in more sauce if you’d like. Then serve with hamburger buns or use it to make a whole new dish like tacos, a salad, or even serve over a baked potato.
Other Easy Dinner Ideas
BBQ Pork Sandwich
- 3-4 pounds boneless pork loin or shoulder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 – 1 ½ cups BBQ sauce
- 1 Tablespoon liquid smoke , optional but recommended
- 8 hamburger buns
Optional toppings: slaw, pickles, lettuce, sliced cheese
- Wash pork and then pat dry.
- Place in the slow cooker. Pierce pork several times. Add 1/2 cup water. Pour BBQ sauce and liquid smoke over the top. Then sprinkle salt and pepper on top. Cook on low for 10 hours, or until it easily shreds.
- Remove pork and shred with 2 forks. Remove any excess fat.
- Place back in the pot and let sit in the juices for 15 minutes, or until ready to serve.
- Serve pork warm on a bun. Add desired toppings such as slaw.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!