A crispy flour tortilla filled with tender pulled pork, BBQ sauce and melty cheese. This easy pulled pork quesadilla is made with 5 simple ingredients in just 10 quick minutes.
Whenever we have leftover BBQ pulled pork, this is one of our favorite recipes to make. It’s super easy, quick and is always a big hit with the family. A few of our other favorites are BBQ nachos or a BBQ pizza.
We love these pulled pork quesadillas. They make an easy lunch or dinner and can even be served as an appetizer. You only need 5 ingredients and they take 10 minutes to make from start to finish. It doesn’t get any easier than that!
These could also be made with shredded chicken or beef and taste just as delicious. It’s the perfect recipe for repurposing leftovers on a busy day or night. We love to serve them with extra BBQ sauce or sour cream for dipping. Yum!
You only need 5 simple ingredients to make these quesadillas (amounts included in printable recipe below). Feel free to add in any extras, like cilantro, pickled onions or dill pickles.
- Pulled pork: I love using leftover BBQ pulled pork or kalua pork. You could even use shredded BBQ chicken if preferred.
- BBQ sauce: Sweet Baby Ray’s is my favorite BBQ sauce to use because of it’s sweet flavor. Any brand will work, or you can even make homemade BBQ sauce if you have the time.
- Tortillas: I prefer using Tortilla Land flour tortillas (which are not cooked). Sometimes we use leftover homemade flour tortillas if we have extras to use up.
- Butter: This helps makes the tortillas extra crispy and flavorful.
- Cheese: Any type will work. I usually do a mix of mozzarella, pepper jack and cheddar.
How to make BBQ pork quesadilla
- MIX. Combine the shredded pork and BBQ sauce in a bowl until well coated.
- COOK. Warm a tortilla in a buttered pan over medium-low heat. Flip the tortilla and add 1/4 cup pork and 1/4 cup shredded cheese on one side. Top with any extra fillings if preferred. Then fold in the opposite side of the tortilla.
- CUT. Once the cheese is melty and the tortillas are crispy, transfer the quesadilla to a cutting board. Cut into 6 to 8 wedges using a knife or pizza roller. Serve immediately with extra BBQ sauce for dipping.
- Use uncooked tortillas. These taste so much more fresh than the precooked ones. It only takes about 30 seconds for them to cook completely in the pan, which is about the same amount of time that you’d need to warm up a precooked tortilla anyways. Trust me, these taste way more authentic and delicious.
- Butter your pan. Before cooking the tortilla, make sure to add 1-2 Tablespoons butter in the pan first. Not only does it give the tortilla extra flavor, but it helps it get perfectly crispy and golden.
- Keep an eye on the heat. Start with the heat at medium-low, but continue to keep an eye on it. The goal is to melt the cheese without burning the tortillas, so you may need to lower the heat if the tortillas are cooking too fast.
More recipes made with pork:
Pulled Pork Quesadilla
- 1 cup pulled pork (pre-cooked)
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce (more if desired)
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas (I prefer using Tortilla Land)
- 1-2 Tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup shredded cheese (more if desired)
Optional add in's: dill pickles, pickled onions, cilantro
- In a small bowl, combine the shredded pork and barbecue sauce and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet on the stove-top over medium-low heat. Butter the pan and then warm the tortilla. Flip the tortilla and then add 1/4 cup cheese and 1/4 cup pork to one side. Add in any additional add in's if desired. Then fold in the opposite side of the tortilla. The goal is to have melted cheese without burning the tortillas, so keep a close eye and lower the heat if the tortillas are cooking too fast.
- Remove the warm quesadilla from the pan and transfer to a cutting board. Using a knife or pizza roller, cut the quesadilla into 6 or 8 wedges. Serve right away with additional barbecue sauce for dipping.
- I prefer the Tortilla Land tortillas which are not cooked. You'll cook one side, flip it over and add the cheese to the cooked side.
- Any shredded meat (beef, pork, chicken…) could be used here, so feel free to use what you have on hand.
- I used Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce and I really like the sweetness of it, use your favorite brand.
- The type of cheese is up to you; mozzarella, pepper jack and cheddar are great choices. I like to do a mix.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!