Easy homemade hamburger buns that are soft in the center with a crispy golden top. After one bite, you won’t go back to the store-bought buns!
You can’t beat a big, juicy hamburger loaded with burger sauce and all your favorite toppings. Another way to take it up a notch? These homemade hamburger buns! Making them from scratch really does make your burger next level delicious.
These are the perfect hamburger buns for a backyard BBQ or weeknight dinner. They’re super soft, delicious and sturdy enough to hold your burger with all the toppings! Plus they’re so easy to make, you won’t want to go back to store-bought hamburger buns. We love to serve them with BBQ pork, hamburgers, BBQ chicken and kalua pork. You can even make a smaller version for meatball sliders or ham and cheese sliders.
How to make hamburger buns
Make the dough. Start by whisking together 2 cups flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Pour the milk and water in a small bowl and microwave until warm (about 30 to 45 seconds). Add the warm milk mixture to the flour mixture. Then mix in the egg, yeast and vegetable oil.
Add in 1/2 cup flour at a time, kneading with your bread hook until the dough no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl. Press on the dough with your finger to test if it’s ready. If your finger doesn’t stick to the dough (but it’s still soft), then you’re good to go.
Let rise. Rub shortening or oil around the dough ball and then cover the bowl with a warm towel. Place the bowl by a window (to help quicken the process) and let it rise for 30 minutes.
Shape into buns. Once the dough has risen, punch it down with your fist. Then divide into 8 balls and place on a baking sheet. Use your palm to gently press down on each dough ball. Then let rest for another 30 minutes.
Bake in oven. Bake at 375°F for about 15 to 20 minutes. The centers should be cooked through and the tops golden brown. Remove from oven and brush butter on the tops of the buns. Let cool, then slice in half before serving.
More helpful tips
- If you want extra large buns, divide into 6. If you’d like smaller buns, divide into 10-12.
- Although it’s optional, I like to add an egg wash and sesame seeds to get the perfect hamburger top. The egg wash helps create a shiny hard top on the bun.
- After the buns come out of the oven, coat the tops with butter for a richer taste.
- Use a serrated knife to slice the buns in half. You get the cleanest cut with this type of knife.
These buns are great for freezing. Once they cool, simply transfer to a freezer bag or container and store in the freezer. Let thaw at room temperature for a few hours when ready to enjoy. I like to toast my buns first before adding the toppings.
More ways to use hamburger buns:
- Sloppy joes
- Turkey burgers
- Slow cooker BBQ brisket
- Greek chicken burger
- Grilled chicken sandwich
- Italian burgers
- Baked hamburgers
- BBQ pork sandwich
More bread recipes:
Hamburger Bun Recipe
Optional: egg wash, sesame seeds for tops
Make the dough:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl, whisk together 2 cups flour, the sugar and salt. In a small microwave bowl, combine the milk and water and microwave for 30-45 seconds or until warm (about 105°F). Then add to the flour mixture.
- Add the egg, yeast and vegetable oil to the flour mixture and mix until combined.
- If you are using a stand mixer, put on your bread hook and then add in 1/2 cup of flour at a time and continue to knead, until the dough is no longer sticking to the sides. You’ll know it’s ready when your fingers no longer stick to the dough, but it's still soft.
- Then cover the ball of dough and sides of the bowl with shortening or oil and cover the bowl with a warm towel. Set by the window and allow it to rise for about 30 minutes.
Prepare to bake:
- Punch down the dough and cut into 8 pieces. Then place on a baking sheet. Lightly press down with your palm and let rest another 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°F. If you'd like sesame seeds on top, whisk together one egg white with 1 Tablespoon of water. Gently brush on the tops and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and the center is cooked through. Remove from the oven and coat the tops with butter. Allow to cool. Then slice just before serving.