This easy coleslaw recipe is made with only 5 ingredients in just 10 minutes. The perfect summer time side dish that’s always loved by all!
Homemade coleslaw is one of my favorite things to bring to a BBQ. It’s simple, quick and tastes absolutely delicious. Some of my other top BBQ sides are broccoli salad with bacon, macaroni salad, orzo salad and potato salad.
Coleslaw is one of those traditional salad recipes that’s great to bring to a cookout or picnic. It’s easy, quick and requires only 5 ingredients. Talk about the perfect side dish to whip up when you’re in a hurry!
This coleslaw recipe consists primarily of shredded cabbage, carrots and radicchio with a creamy dressing. It is NOT drowned with mayo because there’s nothing worse than a soggy coleslaw! It has just enough dressing to bring everything together.
It’s also really easy to customize this coleslaw recipe to make it your own. Just stir in your favorite add-in’s and enjoy. I love to mix in lime juice and cilantro with my coleslaw (photo above), then use it to top a Hawaiian roll with kalua pork. Seriously one of my go to dinners in the summer time!
5 simple ingredients!
- Coleslaw: I love to use a bag of coleslaw mix for convenience, but you could chop up a head of cabbage, carrots and raddiacho too.
- Mayonnaise: I add in about 1/3 cup mayo. If you prefer a creamier coleslaw, feel free to add more.
- Vinegar: Cider vinegar or white vinegar both work great.
- Lemon or lime juice: Can use either lemon or lime juice depending on preference and what you have on hand.
- Honey: I like to add in honey for a healthier sweetener, although sugar will work just as well.
To make the coleslaw dressing, you’ll simply whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, lemon/lime juice and honey. What I love about the dressing is that it’s not overpowered with mayo, so the coleslaw won’t get all soft and soggy.
I added about 1/3 cup mayo, which was perfect for my taste. If you prefer a more creamy coleslaw, feel free to double the dressing.
How to make coleslaw
- Make the dressing. Whisk together mayo, vinegar, lime juice and honey. Then salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine ingredients and toss. Add coleslaw, dressing and any desired mix-in’s to a large bowl. Toss until well coated and store in fridge until ready to serve.
It’s really easy to customize this coleslaw recipe to make it your own. Here are some of my favorite additions:
- Chopped cilantro or parsley
- Sliced green onions
- Chopped bell pepper
- Dried cranberries
- Diced apples
- Sliced almonds
- Diced pineapple
What goes with coleslaw?
Below are a few of our favorite dishes that pair perfectly with homemade coleslaw.
- Pulled pork
- Kalua pork
- Sweet pork tacos
- BBQ brisket sandwiches
- Grilled chicken
- Fish tacos
- Chicken tenders
- Chicken salad (regular or shredded)
How far in advance can you make coleslaw? This homemade coleslaw tastes best if made within a few hours, however it can be made the night before if needed. I wouldn’t recommend making it any further in advance for the best results. I like to make the dressing ahead of time and then mix everything together right before serving.
How long does fresh coleslaw last? It’s best to eat within 2 days. Make sure to store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Other potluck favorites:
- Easy Pasta Salad
- Macaroni Salad
- Ramen Noodle Cabbage Salad with Chicken
- Southwest Cornbread Salad
- Honey Lime Fruit Salad
- Southwestern Pasta Salad
- 8 ounce bag coleslaw mix
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 1 Tablespoon cider or white vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon or lime juice , more to taste
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons honey , or sugar
Optional add in's: S&P, chopped cilantro or parsley, sliced green onions, chopped bell pepper, dried cranberries, diced apples, sliced almonds
- Whisk together the mayo, vinegar, lime juice and honey. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine the coleslaw and dressing in a large bowl. Add desired mix in's. Toss until evenly coated and then store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Note: I love to use lime juice with chopped cilantro to add to tacos or bbq pork sliders.
- If you prefer a more creamy coleslaw, feel free to double the dressing.
- This coleslaw is best made within a few hours but can be made the night before. It's best to eat within 2 days.