This easy coleslaw recipe is made with only 5 ingredients in just 10 minutes. The perfect summer time side dish that’s always loved by all!
Table of Contents
The Best Coleslaw
This is one of my favorite things to bring to a BBQ. The dressing gives it great flavor and the cabbage stays nice and crisp. It’s one of those dishes that I can always throw together in a pinch, along with my caprese salad, easy pasta salad and watermelon salad.
Coleslaw is one of those traditional salad recipes that’s great to bring to a cookout or picnic. It’s easy, quick and requires only 5 ingredients. Talk about the perfect side dish to whip up when you’re in a hurry!
This coleslaw recipe consists primarily of shredded cabbage, carrots and radicchio with a creamy dressing. It is NOT drowned with mayo because there’s nothing worse than a soggy coleslaw! It has just enough dressing to bring everything together. It’s also really easy to customize to make it your own. I love to mix in lime juice and cilantro with my coleslaw, then use it to top a kalua pork slider or BBQ pork sandwich. Seriously one of my go to dinners in the summer time!
5 Simple Ingredients
- Coleslaw: I love to use a bag of coleslaw mix for convenience, but you could chop up a head of cabbage, carrots and raddiacho too.
- Mayonnaise: I add in about 1/3 cup mayo. If you prefer a creamier coleslaw, feel free to add more.
- Vinegar: Cider vinegar or white vinegar both work great.
- Lemon or lime juice: Can use either depending on preference and what you have on hand.
- Honey: I like to add in honey for a healthier sweetener, although sugar will work just as well.
To make the dressing, you’ll simply whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, lemon/lime juice and honey. What I love about the dressing is that it’s not overpowered with mayo, so the coleslaw won’t get all soft and soggy.
I added about 1/3 cup mayo, which was perfect for my taste. If you prefer a more creamy coleslaw, feel free to double the dressing.
How to Make Coleslaw
- Make the dressing. Whisk together mayo, vinegar, lime juice, and honey. Then salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine ingredients and toss. Add coleslaw, dressing, and any desired mix-in’s to a large bowl. Toss until well coated and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
It’s really easy to customize this coleslaw recipe to make it your own. Here are some of my favorite additions:
- Chopped cilantro or parsley
- Sliced green onions
- Chopped bell pepper
- Dried cranberries
- Diced apples
- Sliced almonds
- Diced pineapple
Favorites to Serve With
Anything BBQ flavored tastes amazing with homemade coleslaw. I also love serve it with easy summer sides like corn and watermelon. Below are some of my favorites to pair it with:
- BBQ pulled pork sandwich
- Shredded BBQ chicken sandwich
- Kalua pork
- BBQ brisket sandwiches
- On a hot dog
- Slow cooker ribs
- Grilled corn
Make Ahead + Storage Tips
How far in advance can you make it? This recipe tastes best if made within a few hours, however it can be made the night before if needed. I wouldn’t recommend making it any further in advance for the best results. I like to make the dressing ahead of time and then mix everything together right before serving.
How long does fresh coleslaw last? It’s best to eat within 2 days. Make sure to store in an airtight container in the fridge and give it a big stir before enjoying.
More Potluck Favorites You’ll Love
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Easy Coleslaw Recipe
- 8 ounce bag coleslaw mix
- ⅓ cup mayo
- 1 Tablespoon cider or white vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon or lime juice , more to taste
- 1 ½ Tablespoons honey , or sugar
Optional add in's: S&P, chopped cilantro or parsley, sliced green onions, chopped bell pepper, dried cranberries, diced apples, sliced almonds
- Whisk together the mayo, vinegar, lime juice and honey. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine the coleslaw and dressing in a large bowl. Add desired mix in's. Toss until evenly coated and then store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- I love to use lime juice with chopped cilantro to add to tacos or bbq pork sliders.
- If you prefer a more creamy coleslaw, feel free to double the dressing.
- This dish is best made within a few hours but can be made the night before. It’s best to eat within 2 days.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
Ha! Me and my husband can never agree on the perfect homemade coleslaw, but I think I’ve just hit jackpoint – the addition of vinegar should marry both our cravings for a (1) creamy dressing but with (2) a little sharp bite about it. Problem solved.
You are right, coleslaw is the perfect Summer side, but I also enjoy putting it in my burger or on my hotdog – delish!
Looks spectacular! I’ll have to try this side dish, just perfect addition on any meal!
I love Coleslaw, I cannot wait to try this!
What a great dish for a summer picnic or party! Perfect with barbecue or grilled chicken! Yum!
This coleslaw is perfect for my summer BBQ! Very crispy and goes great on burgers
This is seriously making me hungry! This couldn’t look any more perfect!
I love a simple and quick side dish for busy weeknights. Heck, this coleslaw would be perfect to serve at a BBQ for Fourth of July too. Thanks for sharing!
I like how simple this recipe is with using a few ingredients. It would be great to take to picnics during the summer. Will go on my must try list!
Homemade coleslaw is a favorite around here! I hope you enjoy it! :)
This goes with everything so well! It can’t be summer without this being served.