This crunchy ranch chicken is coated in a Parmesan cheese breadcrumb mixture then baked in the oven until tender. With only 5 ingredients and ready in just over 30 minutes, this easy weeknight dinner is perfectly crispy and flavorful every time!
Table of Contents
Baked Ranch Chicken
It’s always a good idea to have a few trusty chicken breast recipes in your arsenal. This ranch chicken is definitely one of our top favorites, as well as spinach and cream cheese stuffed chicken breast and baked chicken parmesan. My family goes crazy over all of these!
My kids often request this parmesan ranch chicken recipe and devour it every time it’s on the menu. The chicken is coated in crunchy Panko breadcrumbs, savory Parmesan cheese and zesty ranch dressing mix then baked to perfection with super tender never dry results every time.
It is moist and juicy with amazing flavor plus has a deliciously crispy coating without frying in a vat of oil. Crunchy results without all the guilt, sign me up!
The best part about this dish, though, is that it’s made with just 5 simple ingredients. It’s so easy to whip up and is perfect for busy weeknights. We love to serve it over this easy rice pilaf or mashed potatoes with a side of green beans, however there are so many sides that would taste delicious!
With only 5 ingredients and 10 minutes of prep, this flavor-filled ranch chicken dinner is then mostly hands-off oven time while it bakes to golden perfection.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Chicken: I used 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You could make baked chicken tenders as well, but you may need to decrease cooking time.
- Seasoning: Make sure to use a packet of the dry ranch dressing mix instead of the creamy dressing in a bottle.
- Breadcrumbs: For the crunchy coating on the ranch chicken, you can use Panko breadcrumbs or homemade breadcrumbs.
- Parmesan cheese: I like the texture that grated Parmesan cheese adds, however feel free to use shredded parm as well.
- Butter: I use unsalted butter vs. salted butter in this recipe because the ranch dressing mix already has salt in it.
- Additional seasonings: For a bit more spice in your breadcrumb mixture, get creative and add some chili powder, cayenne powder or some jerk seasoning.
- Mayonnaise: Instead of butter dredge your chicken breasts in mayonnaise for for a lighter version mayo mixed with Greek yogurt.
- Breadcrumbs: Try crushed Ritz crackers, tortilla chips or corn flakes for a twist.
- Garnish: A squeeze of lemon pairs well with this crispy baked ranch chicken just like in my baked lemon chicken recipe. Fresh parsley will add color and fresh herby taste!
How to Make Ranch Chicken
Baked ranch chicken is easily made in 4 simple steps, it’s a kid-friendly approved recipe that adults love, too!
- Tenderize chicken breasts: Cover the chicken breasts with a piece of plastic wrap and using a meat mallet or rolling pin pound them into an even thickness. This not only makes the chicken more tender but also ensures that the breasts bake at the same time.
- Prep coating mixture: In a shallow bowl, stir the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and ranch seasoning together. Melt butter and place in a shallow dish.
- Dredge chicken: Dip the chicken breasts first in the melted butter than coat with the breadcrumb mixture making sure to roll the chicken so all sides are coated. Place on prepared baking sheet or prepared baking dish.
- Bake: Bake at 375°F for 25-30 minutes or until meat thermometer indicates that the chicken is cooked through. Top with garnish and serve!
- Slice chicken in half. Chicken breasts can be a bit thick, so it helps to slice each breast in half to make two chicken cutlets. The meat will cook quicker and more evenly in the oven this way.
- Coat well. Dip the chicken in butter first, so that the coating will stick to the meat. You want all sides of the meat to be completely covered in the crumb mixture. It gives it that nice, crusty exterior.
- Broil. For an extra crispy crust, broil for a minute or so at the end of cooking. Make sure to keep a close eye on it, you don’t want the crust to burn!
- Let rest. Let the chicken rest for about 5 minutes before slicing. This keeps the meat nice and juicy, as well as makes it easier for the crust to remain intact while slicing.
What to Serve With Ranch Chicken
There are so many options when it comes to serving this Parmesan ranch chicken! Here are a few favorites.
- Rice: Brown rice or steamed white rice make a simple grain side.
- Vegetables: Try roasted broccoli, asparagus or even a mix of oven roasted veggies.
- Potatoes: A baked potato, potato wedges, sweet potato fries, or roasted red potatoes would be great.
- Salad: For something lighter try a chopped salad or wedge salad
- Bread: My family never turns down fresh rolls, French bread, garlic bread or breadsticks
This recipe is made with tender chicken breasts that are covered in a crispy Panko breadcrumb mixture that contains Parmesan cheese and zesty ranch seasoning mix. The results are a juicy chicken dinner that has a crispy coating!
Every oven bakes a little bit differently so the best way to ensure your chicken is cooked through is by using an instant-read thermometer. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the breast and if it reads 165°F degrees it’s ready.
Sure! Just use gluten-free breadcrumbs or gluten-free Panko.
This can be confusing as you might see both packets at the grocery store! They are essentially the same and either dry seasoning packet can be used for this recipe.
To store leftovers of ranch chicken, place chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheating in the oven at 400°F for 5 minutes or the air fryer is the best way for your chicken to retain crispness.
You can also freeze this recipe as a make ahead dinner! After coating, flash freeze in a single layer on a parchment lined baking pan. Place in a freezer safe bag and freeze up to 3 months.
More Easy Dinner RecipesBrowse all
Ranch Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs *see notes
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tablespoons dry ranch dressing
- ¼ cup unsalted butter , melted
- Fresh parsley , for serving (optional)
- Lemon slices , for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Using a rolling pin or meat tenderizer, pound the chicken to an even thickness.
- In a shallow bowl, stir the crumbs, parmesan, and ranch seasoning. Dip chicken in the melted butter, and then roll in crumb mixture to coat. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until cooked through the center. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with lemon slices, if desired.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!