This easy chicken and rice casserole is a quick and delicious dinner idea that the whole family will love. It’s made with just 4 simple ingredients…most of which you probably already have in your pantry!
Table of Contents
Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole
If you need a trusty casserole recipe, you’ve found your match. This dish honestly couldn’t get any easier and tastes super delicious. It reminds me of my one pot chicken and rice, but in casserole form. Your whole family will love it!
This is one of those recipes that is nice to have on hand for when you need to pull dinner together quickly and don’t have a lot of time to prep. It only takes 4 ingredients and one dish to make. And I bet you already have everything you need in your pantry!
This dinner may not be the prettiest dish, but it’s sure to please the whole family. Even my kids all love it! The chicken is tender and the rice has such a great flavor. Plus it’s easy to customize with your favorite spices and veggies. You can’t mess it up!
4 Simple Ingredients
- Chicken breasts
- Long grain rice
- Ranch seasoning
- Cream of chicken soup
How to Make Chicken Rice Casserole
Cut and season chicken. Trim any excess fat off the chicken, then pound or cut it down so it’s 1/2″ thick. Place it on the bottom of a greased pan and sprinkle the ranch seasoning, salt and pepper on top. Then pour the rice on top.
Add liquids. Whisk together the cream of chicken soup and water, then pour the mixture over the meat and rice.
Bake. Cover the pan with foil and bake at 350°F for 60 to 70 minutes. It’s ready when the rice is tender and meat is cooked through. Remove from oven and let sit for about 5 to 10 minutes prior to serving.
- Add in mixed vegetables such as carrots or mushrooms with the rice before baking.
- Use Italian dressing mix or onion soup mix in place of ranch seasoning.
- Use cream of mushroom or celery in place of cream of chicken.
- Top the rice with cheese during the last 10 minutes of baking.
Favorite Sides for Serving
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup long grain rice , uncooked
- 2 Tablespoons Ranch seasoning , can also use Italian seasoning or onion soup mix
- 1 ½ cups water
- 10 ounces cream of chicken soup , can sub for cream of mushroom or celery
S&P , to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray or butter the bottom of a pan.
- Trim any fat from the chicken and pound or cut down to 1/2" thickness. Place the chicken onto the bottom of the pan and season with ranch seasoning, salt and pepper. Then pour the uncooked rice on top.
- Whisk together the cream of chicken soup and water. Then pour over the top of the chicken and rice. Cover with foil and bake for 60-70 minutes, or until chicken is cooked and rice is tender. Pull out of the oven and let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
was in a hurry one night and found this recipe, hubby has to eat before 5 pm at night. So I improvised as it was already after 4 pm. Used a 12.5 oz can of chicken breast with broth, 5-minute rice, and 1/2 teaspoon butter and followed the recipe, cooked for 30 minutes. It was so delicious. I want to follow the recipe as written next time, but for real quick, throw-together, this worked great! We loved it!
Yay, so happy to hear the recipe was a hit! Always love a quick dinner :)
Excellent one dish meal. We make this approx 2 per .month.
I’m so glad to hear it is in your family rotation! :)
I made this last night for my family and we are LOVED it. It’s the best version of chicken and rice casserole I’ve ever had and my 4 year old at ALL of her dinner. I used some of the suggested substitutions: onion soup mix instead of ranch seasoning and cream of mushroom soup instead of cream of chicken soup. I also added frozen mushrooms and used 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup instead of 1 and excluded the cheese. The only thing I will do differently next time is double the amount of rice so that it’s 2 cups instead of 1.
I’m so glad it was a hit with your 4 year old! Such a win!!
Love easy and delicious recipes! This one is an absolute hit with my family! Love it!
Super easy to make and my whole family loved it !
Where do you add the rice? Do you put it on top and then pour the soup mixture over everything?