Chicken stuffed peppers made with 5 simple ingredients in just 30 minutes! A flavorful family-favorite that’s perfect for busy weeknights!
Bell peppers are a popular vegetable at our house. Surprisingly, my whole family eats them right up! This dinner is one of our favorite ways to enjoy them, as well as in chicken fajitas, chicken kabobs and my easy sheet pan sausage and vegetables.
These shredded chicken stuffed peppers are family-friendly, healthy, low carb and super easy to make. They’re a quick 30-minute meal and require only 5 simple ingredients. Doesn’t get better than that!
Another bonus is that my kids absolutely love them! They’re full of flavor and loaded with all their favorites. Eat them plain or dress them up with delicious toppings like shredded cheese, sour cream and fresh cilantro. Seriously so yummy and EASY!
5 simple ingredients
You only need 5 simple ingredients to make these chicken stuffed bell peppers (amounts included in printable recipe below).
- Bell peppers: I prefer a mix of orange, red and yellow bell peppers.
- Chicken: You can use rotisserie chicken for convenience or make my easy shredded chicken in the crockpot or instant pot.
- Salsa: This gets mixed with the filling to give it some extra flavor. Homemade salsa tastes best in my opinion!
- Taco seasoning: This seasoning is also mixed in for flavor. I grabbed my homemade taco seasoning from the pantry.
- Beans: We add black beans to bulk it up a bit. Make sure to rinse and drain your beans before mixing them in.
How to make chicken stuffed peppers
- Boil the peppers. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cut the bell pepper tops off and remove the seeds. Once water is boiling, place the peppers in the water for about 5-7 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Make the filling. While the peppers are cooking, begin to make the filling. Warm the chicken in a frying pan over medium-heat, then mix in the salsa, taco seasoning, black beans and rice (if desired). Cook until warm.
- Assemble and bake. Remove the bell peppers from the water and set on a paper towel to dry. Once dry, stuff the peppers with the chicken mixture. Place in a baking dish and add shredded cheese if desired. Bake at 350ºF for 10 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
Tips + modifications
- You may also cut the peppers in half lengthwise and stuff them that way.
- Can add cooked rice or corn into the filling mixture to bulk it up a bit.
- Feel free to use taco meat instead of shredded chicken if preferred.
- Top with shredded cheese before baking if desired.
- No need to cover the pan with foil. Because the peppers are pre boiled and the filling is cooked, they don’t cook for very long in the oven.
Repurpose your leftovers
Whenever I make any of the below recipes, I’ll use the leftovers as the filling for these stuffed peppers. It’s the perfect way to repurpose boring, old leftovers into a brand new dish!
- instant pot chicken taco bowls
- slow cooker chicken taco bowls
- one pot burrito bowls
- chicken fajita bowls
More easy Mexican dinners:
Chicken Stuffed Peppers
Optional toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Boil a large pot of water. Cut the tops of the bell peppers off and remove the seeds. Then place the bell peppers in the water for 5 to 7 minutes, or until tender.
- While the peppers are cooking, warm the shredded chicken in a frying pan over medium-heat. Then mix in the salsa, black beans, rice and taco seasoning. Cook until warm. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove peppers from the water and set on a paper towel. Once dry, stuff peppers with chicken mixture.
- Place in the baking dish and then add shredded cheese if desired. Bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
- Add desired toppings and enjoy while hot!