This chicken tortilla soup recipe is made in ONE pot in 30 minutes. Always a crowd pleaser and tastes great loaded with cheese, avocado and tortilla chips.
There’s something about this colder weather that makes me want to eat soup EVERY day! I’ve tried out a few new soup recipes over the last few weeks and this recipe was definitely a keeper. It warms you right up on a cold day, and has just the perfect kick.
This tortilla soup recipe is filled with chicken, corn, beans, spices and salsa. It’s really easy to make when you’re looking for something quick. I tend to always have the ingredients on hand in my pantry which makes it so simple to throw together. I’m sure you have most of them already on hand as well!
- Chicken breasts
- Chicken broth
- Black beans
- Cumin and chili powder
- Olive oil and minced garlic
- Lemon juice
How to make chicken tortilla soup
Scroll down for the printable recipe.
- In a large pot, sauté chicken in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the onions and cook for about 2 minutes. Then add cumin and garlic and stir.
- Add broth, corn, chili powder, beans, lemon juice and salsa. Reduce heat to low, cover and then simmer for about 20-30 minutes.
- Add tortilla chips and add desired toppings over individual bowls.
- Tortilla strips or chips (store bought or homemade)
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Avocado or guacamole
- Splash of lime juice
- Green onion
Tip: I love to save the crushed tortillas at the bottom of the chips bag, so don’t throw them out! Place them in a zip top bag or small container and you’ll love the extra flavor it adds. I like using chips vs. a tortillas, because they tend to get a little soggy.
How do I thicken chicken tortilla soup?
If you’d like to thicken, feel free to add in some cream cheese or shredded cheese the last few minutes of cooking. The additional cheese helps to make a thick and creamy consistency. I personally think the consistency of the tortilla soup is perfect without any extra cheese. What I will do is top my soup with a couple of dollops of sour cream which makes it a tad creamier.
Is this freezer friendly?
Yes! Once the tortilla soup has cooled, store in a freezer bag or airtight plastic container. I like to write the date that I made the soup on the bag/container with a permanent marker. I’ll typically store in the freezer for a couple of months. To thaw, place in the refrigerator overnight. Then heat back up for a couple of minutes in stovetop pan or microwave.
For more soup recipes, check out:
- Taco soup -also made in one pot!
- Cheeseburger soup – done in 30 minutes.
- Chicken and rice soup -perfect for when a cold is coming on.
- Minestrone soup -loaded with fresh vegetables.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 29 ounces chicken broth (2 cans)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (can add another 1/2-1 tsp if you like spicy)
- 15 ounces black beans (1 can)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups chunky salsa
Optional toppings: tortilla strips, sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro, etc.
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté the chicken in the oil for 5 minutes. Add the onions and cook for about 2 minutes. Then add the garlic and cumin and mix well.
- Next add the broth, corn, chili powder, beans, lemon juice and salsa. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Break up some tortilla chips or tortilla strips and add to individual bowls. Pour tortilla soup over chips. Top with the Monterey Jack cheese and a little sour cream if desired.