This slow cooker green enchilada soup has everything you love about the classic green chile chicken enchiladas in the form of soup. It only takes about 10 minutes to prep and then the crockpot does all the rest!
Slow Cooker Green Enchilada Soup
This green enchilada soup is so easy to make and tastes absolutely delicious. Just throw everything in the slow cooker and then let it simmer all day long. It’s a fun variation of my popular slow cooker chicken enchilada soup, but uses green enchilada sauce instead of red.
I love the creaminess in this soup with the little bit of spice from the green chiles. The green enchilada sauce tastes similar to salsa verde and adds the perfect flavor. Absolutely delicious!
As with any of the best Mexican food recipes, the added toppings take this dish to the next level. Ladle the soup into bowls and then top with favorites like fresh cheese, sour cream, cilantro and tortilla strips. So yummy!
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Diced avocado
- Tortilla strips (or crushed tortilla chips)
- Sliced jalapenos
- Squeeze of lime juice
Stovetop Green Enchilada Soup
For a faster alternative, this soup can be made just as easily on the stove. Start with 3 cups cooked and shredded chicken (rotisserie is great in a pinch). Then combine all of the ingredients in a large pot and let the soup simmer on low heat for about 20 to 30 minutes. Right before serving, mix in the cream cheese until smooth.
This recipe can be easily customized to your liking or based on what you have on hand. Below are a few simple swaps and additions to make this soup your own.
- Spice. Add in a few more Tablespoons of chopped green chiles, or use the hot chiles instead of mild. You could also sprinkle in some red pepper flakes for an extra boost of heat.
- Beans. Bulk it up even more with another can of white, black or kidney beans.
- Vegetables. This soup is great for sneaking in more veggies. Chopped onions, bell peppers or zucchini all make great additions.
- Meat. You can swap chicken breasts for boneless, skinless chicken thighs if you prefer. Thighs are a bit fattier which will create an even bolder flavor.
More Easy Mexican Dinners:
- Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
- White Chicken Chili
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Green Chili Burritos
Green Enchilada Chicken Soup
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds chicken breasts , I used frozen
- 32 ounces chicken stock
- 10 ounces green enchilada sauce
- 4.5 ounces chopped green chiles
- 15 ounces white beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 ounces cream cheese , softened and cubed
- Salt and Pepper
Optional toppings: shredded cheese, avocado, sour cream, cilantro and tortilla strips
- Combine the chicken breasts, chicken stock, enchilada sauce, green chiles, white beans and corn in a large slow cooker. Add in the cumin, chili powder and garlic powder.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or until the chicken is tender enough to shred. Remove chicken and place on a cutting board and shred (removing any extra fat).
- Stir cream cheese (make sure it's at room temperature so it doesn't curdle). Then place chicken back in the slow cooker and cook for an additional 15 minutes, or until the cream cheese has melted. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls. Serve with desired toppings. Enjoy!
- Beans – feel free to add in another can of white beans, black or kidney beans.
- Vegetables – some great additions are chopped onions, bell peppers and zucchini.
- Use 3 cups cooked and shredded chicken. Then add all of the ingredients to a large pot and simmer 20 to 30 minutes. Add the cream cheese at the end.