Coconut cupcakes with lemon
For the Cupcakes:
- 3 cups self rising flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp lemon zest (heaping)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
For the Lemon Curd Filling:
- zest of 2 lemons
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter (at room temp)
- 2 eggs (extra-large)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- pinch of salt
For the Frosting:
- 1 cup butter (unsalted)
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup reduced coconut milk (at room temp)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or seeds scraped from 1 split vanilla bean)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Reducing the coconut milk: Open one can of milk, and pour it into a medium sized skillet. Heat to a boil, then reduce to low heat. Cook for about 25-30 minutes, or until your milk has reduced to about half. Place in the refrigerator to cool.
- The cupcakes: Line two muffin tins with paper liners. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together your flour and salt in a small bowl. Set aside. In another small bowl, smash together the sugar with your zest.
- Cream together your butter and zested sugar for 3 minutes. Scrape the sides of your bowl, and then add the eggs along with the vanilla. Stir in the lemon juice. Alternate between the flour and milk, pouring each into your egg mixture slowly. Scrape the side of the bowl, and give it one last good mix. Divide the batter between you liners, each should be 3/4 full, and bake for 15-20 minutes. Each oven is different, so make sure you keep a close eye on them. The cupcakes are done when they spring back when touched, or a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Place your cupcakes on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- For the curd: In a small bowl, smash together the sugar and zest.
- Cream your butter and zested sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add the eggs, one at a time, followed by the lemon juice and salt.
- Pour your mixture into a 2 quart saucepan, and heat over medium heat until thickened. (about 10 minutes). Cool in the refrigerator. Adapted from here.
- The frosting: Start by creaming together your butter and powdered sugar. Scrape the vanilla bean, or add the vanilla extract, along with the coconut milk, and salt. Whip until your desired consistency has formed. Adapted from here.
- Let’s wrap things up:Using a paring knife, or a large piping tip, remove the center from each cupcake. Fill with the lemon curd, and pipe on your frosting.
Hi. I’m Jesseca, the baker in charge of the site One Sweet Appetite. By day, I’m a stay at home mom that is juggling between taking care of a three year old son, and working right from home! By night? I’m a crazy chocoholic with a a serious love for food! I’m still learning a lot about the culinary & blogging side of life, so stop on by and we can learn together!
Visit me at www.onesweetappetite.com or on my facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/
These look great! Thanks for sharing Jesseca!