Moist and tender easy vanilla cupcakes made with just 5 simple ingredients in 30 minutes. This easy dessert will become one of your all-time favorites!
Table of Contents
Simple Recipe for Vanilla Cupcakes
These vanilla cupcakes are adapted from my favorite chocolate cupcakes. They are so easy to make and require only 5 simple ingredients. We start with a box of cake mix and doctor it up with a few secret ingredients to make them extra delicious.
This is my go-to vanilla cupcake recipe when I need something quick. They taste like they’re homemade vanilla cupcakes from scratch, however they’re made by doctoring up a box of cake mix. The secret to making them extra delicious is by mixing vanilla pudding and sour cream into the batter. These two added ingredients will make the cupcakes super moist and tender.
These cupcakes are perfect for birthday parties, making it easy to grab and go. This is also a great treat for the kids to help out with because it’s super easy and great for beginners. This is definitely one of those recipes to have in your back pocket!
Amounts included in printable recipe below.
- Cake mix: This recipe starts with a box of your favorite white or yellow cake mix. You can also make your own homemade vanilla cake mix recipe if preferred.
- Pudding mix: Next comes the instant vanilla pudding (the dry mix). No need to make the actual pudding…you’ll just stir the dry mix into the batter.
- Eggs: Add in 4 large eggs (the amount needed on the box may be different, however stick with this number instead).
- Oil: This recipe calls for canola oil to help keep it moist. Use the amount needed in this recipe vs. what’s included on the box.
- Sour cream: This is one of the secret ingredients (along with the pudding mix) that makes the cupcakes super soft and moist.
- White chocolate chips: These are optional, although I love the extra boost of flavor they add.
How to make Vanilla Cupcakes
- MIX. Stir together the cake mix and dry vanilla pudding in a large bowl. If adding in chocolate chips, stir them in now. Next mix in the eggs, canola oil and water. Then stir in the sour cream until smooth.
- FILL. Pour the batter into 2 muffin pans lined with cupcake liners. Make sure each liner is about 3/4 the way full with batter.
- BAKE. Bake at 325°F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
Frosting for Vanilla Cupcakes
These vanilla cupcakes are so easy to customize. You can color the frosting or decorate them with colored sprinkles if you’d like. Below are some of my favorite frostings to use.
- Chocolate buttercream: This is a classic and one of my favorites to use.
- Strawberry frosting: I love using a berry frosting in the Spring or summertime. This strawberry buttercream or strawberry cream cheese frosting are my favorites.
- Buttercream: A classic buttercream is always delicious. I love to use this base if I’m going to be adding food coloring to the frosting.
- Vanilla frosting: A classic frosting that compliments the vanilla flavor in the dessert. Top with M&M’s to make M&M cupcakes for an extra festive dessert!
- Cream cheese frosting: The cream cheese adds a delicious rich flavor. If using this recipe to frost cupcakes, I usually add about 1-2 more cups of powdered sugar so that it holds it’s shape.
- If adding white chocolate chips, mix them in with the dry cake mix and vanilla pudding. This helps prevent them from sinking to the bottom.
- Use a large cookie scoop to fill the muffin pan. If you don’t have one, make sure to only fill the liners 2/3 the way full.
- Use a toothpick to check if the center is done. Try not to open the oven too many times, as the heat will escape and could cause the cupcakes to deflate.
- Follow my tips on how to frost the perfect cupcakes.
5 star review
“These are fabulous! I love the addition of sour cream, it really ups the flavor. So dang delicious!”-Wilhemina
Looking for more cupcake recipes? Try these chocolate cupcakes from scratch, they are so delicious!
More Cupcake Recipes to try
EASY Vanilla Cupcakes
- 15 ounce box white or yellow cake mix
- 3.9 ounce box instant vanilla pudding (dry)
- ½ cup white chocolate chips (optional)
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup canola oil
- ¾ cup warm water
- 8 ounces sour cream
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line cupcake liners in 2 muffin pans.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix and vanilla pudding. Add the white chocolate chips in now (this will prevent them from sinking) and stir until combined.
- Next mix in the eggs, canola oil and water. Then stir in the sour cream.
- Pour the batter into the liners (about 3/4 the way full). Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes clean. Do not overcook.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack. Wait to frost until cooled completely.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!