Southwest Cornbread Salad
Potlucks can be hit or miss. But there is nothing I like better than a potluck that is a hit! I am lucky enough to have a group of neighbors that are great cooks so whenever we have a neighborhood potluck party I know there will be plenty of good food to try and lots of new recipes to get!
Today’s recipe for Southwest Cornbread Salad is one I got a few years ago from a neighbor at our yearly Fourth of July cul de sac party. This salad is a little unique. It is a layered salad made with cornbread and I loved the flavor and texture that the cornbread gave the salad.
The salad starts with a layer of crumbled cornbread. I just used the Jiffy Mix! Then you add a layer of lettuce, tomatoes, black beans, corn, a ranch/salsa dressing, bacon, green onions and cheese. And then you repeat all that for a second layer. All kinds of yummy flavors and textures!
Next time you want to be a hit at a potluck dinner take this salad. Southwest Cornbread Salad is delicious and something just a little bit different.
Southwest Cornbread Salad
- 1 6 oz. package of Cornbread mix
- 1 (1 oz.) envelope of Buttermilk Ranch Salad Dressing Mix
- 1 C sour cream
- 1 C mayo
- 2 C salsa
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, shredded
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 C shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 green onions, chopped
1. Mix dressing mix with sour cream and mayo.
2. Add salad dressing to salsa
3. Bake cornbread according to directions, cool and crumble
4. In a large bowl layer using half of all ingredients: cornbread, tomato, beans. corn, bacon, green onions and end with dressing, lettuce and cheese.
5. Repeat the layering process
6. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving
For other yummy recipes try these:
I’m Leigh Anne and food, family and friends are three of my favorite things. I am the mother of four young adults, a new mother in law and am still trying to adjust to life as an empty nester along with my husband of over 30 years. I love throwing parties, burying my head in a book and digging in the dirt in my garden. My husband would tell you I love making messes in the kitchen and craft room and finding junk (treasures) at Goodwill. I believe that life is beautiful and it is up to us to find and create that beauty. I love sharing my journey to finding the pretty and delicious in life over at Your Homebased Mom. You can also visit me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram.