Southwest Cornbread Salad – Flavorful layers of crumbled cornbread, veggies, bacon, cheese and a delicious ranch salsa dressing. The perfect way to spice up a potluck!
Next time you want to be a hit at a potluck dinner, take this southwest cornbread salad. It’s so delicious and is something just a little bit different than your average potluck sides. Some of my other potluck favorites are cold pasta salad, ramen noodle cabbage salad, cucumber tomato salad and broccoli salad with bacon.
If you’re in need of an easy and delicious side dish to bring for a summer potluck, this cornbread salad recipe is perfect for you. It’s simple to throw together and super flavorful. I put a Mexican spin on mine by adding corn and black beans and the end result was fabulous!
The southwest cornbread salad starts with a layer of crumbled cornbread, then another layer of lettuce, tomatoes, black beans, corn, ranch salsa dressing, bacon, green onions and cheese. Then you repeat the layers until all ingredients are used. All kinds of yummy flavors and textures!
For convenience, you can use premade cornbread from the store, or use a box mix such as Jiffy Mix. You can even make your own cornbread from scratch. I love the added flavor and texture that the cornbread gives the salad.
What’s in cornbread salad?
The ingredients in this cornbread salad recipe are simple and easy to find. To make it a little easier, I used a package of cornbread mix, but feel free to make a homemade cornbread. I love this sweet cornbread recipe. It’s so moist and fluffy!
- Romaine lettuce
- Cherry tomatoes
- Black beans
- Cheddar cheese
- Green onions
Dressing for cornbread salad
- Packet of buttermilk ranch salad dressing mix
- Sour cream
How to make cornbread salad
Scroll down for the printable cornbread salad recipe.
- Bake cornbread. Bake cornbread according to directions. Let cool, then cut into 1/2-inch cubes. You can also buy premade cornbread from the store or make it from scratch if preferred.
- Combine ingredients for dressing and chill. Mix together ranch dressing mix, sour cream and mayo. Stir in salsa, then place in a covered jar or container in the fridge until ready to assemble.
- Assemble cornbread salad. In a large bowl, layer using half of all ingredients: cornbread, tomato, beans, corn, bacon, green onions, lettuce and cheese. Drizzle over some of the dressing. Repeat the layering process until you have used up all of the ingredients.
- Refrigerate. Chill cornbread salad in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Other summer potluck salads:
- Tortellini Italian pasta salad
- Honey lime fruit salad
- Orzo salad with vinaigrette
- Chicken caesar pasta salad
- BLT pasta salad
Cornbread Salad Recipe
- 6 ounce package of Cornbread mix (can also make from scratch or buy premade cornbread from the store)
- 1 head of romaine lettuce , shredded
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes , sliced
- 15 ounce can black beans , rinsed and drained
- 15 ounce can whole kernel corn , drained
- 1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 slices bacon , cooked and crumbled
- 4 green onions , chopped
- 1 ounce envelope of Buttermilk Ranch Salad Dressing Mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayo
- 1-2 cups salsa
- Bake cornbread according to directions. Allow to cool and then cut into 1/2-inch cubes. You can also buy this premade from the store or make it from scratch if preferred.
- Mix together ranch dressing mix, sour cream and mayonnaise. Then add in salsa and stir. Place in a covered jar or container until ready to assemble.
- In a large bowl, layer using half of all ingredients: cornbread, tomato, beans, corn, bacon, green onions, lettuce and cheese. Drizzle over some of the dressing. Repeat the layering process until you have used up all of the ingredients.
- Chill cornbread salad in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Originally written by Leigh Anne from Your Homebased Mom.
What’s your favorite side to bring to summer potluck?!