One of the most popular holiday side dishes just got easier! Made with just 5 simple ingredients, this creamy, comforting crockpot green bean casserole is always a hit!
Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole
Any Thanksgiving menu is not complete without a creamy, savory, green bean casserole with or without cheese. This casserole recipe is an alternative to crispy tender green beans which has become a traditional side for Christmas dinner as well as a Thanksgiving side dish.
It’s classic comfort food that is so simple to make with just a few ingredients and using the slow cooker takes the time and pressure off so you can focus on the main event. It doesn’t get any easier!
Serve alongside an oven roasted turkey or baked ham for a delicious holiday meal that your family will love!
Easy Dump-and-Set Side Dish
A dump-and-set dish means that once you grease the crockpot, you place all the ingredients in, starting with the beans, then combined broth and soup, add in the seasoning and butter, you close the lid, set it, and walk away. That’s it!
Tips for Success
- Make sure to grease the crockpot first to prevent sticking once it’s ready.
- Drain the canned beans. Too much extra liquid will make for a soggy dish.
- Save the French fried onions to top it off just before serving. They won’t stay crispy if you add it right into the crockpot.
- Easily double the recipe for a crowd. The cooking time remains the same.
- For a bit of added flavor and texture add in sliced mushrooms and onions.
- If you’re going to add cheese, add it in towards the end or along with the crispy fried onions. Cheddar and parmesan are both great choices.
- Keep it warm for up to 2 hours until you’re ready to serve.
Can I Use Fresh or Frozen Beans Instead?
You can! If using fresh, you’ll want to use more because a can holds more beans as they are softer sitting in liquid. Don’t forget to wash and trim the ends.
If using frozen, be sure to thaw them first. You don’t want all of that excess liquid.
If you’re planning ahead and want to prepare this dish the day before, you can. Assemble the casserole in the crockpot as instructed, cover with foil, and place in the fridge. The following afternoon, set the cooking time.
More Crockpot Side Dishes:
- Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Creamed Corn
- Crockpot Stuffing
- Slow Cooker Carrots
- Crockpot Mashed Potatoes
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Crockpot Green Bean Casserole
- 45 ounces green beans , 3 cans drained
- ½ cup chicken broth , more if needed
- 10 ounce can cream of mushroom
- 1 Tablespoons salted butter , sliced then
- 1-2 cups french fried onions
S&P, to taste
- Butter the bottom of a 3-4 quart crockpot if desired. Then pour in the drained green beans.
- Whisk together the cream of mushroom and chicken broth. Then pour on top of green beans. Sprinkle the top with salt and pepper. Place slabs of butter across the top.
- Cook on low for 2-3 hours or high for 1-2 hours. Stir half way through and add more salt and pepper to taste. Top with french fried onions just before serving.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!