This crustless spinach quiche is a delicious low carb breakfast idea that’s super flavorful and filling. So easy to customize with all your favorite seasonings, meats, cheeses and vegetables.
Now don’t get me wrong, I love a traditional ham and cheese quiche with homemade pie crust. But when I’m looking for something lighter, this crustless version is a great option. It’s similar to a frittata and is lower in carbs and packed with veggies.
Not only is this crustless quiche super simple to whip up, but you can easily make customizations with different meats, cheeses and vegetables. It makes a great “clean out the fridge” breakfast or dinner and tastes delicious no matter what combo you choose. We especially love to make it whenever we have leftover baked ham from our Easter or Christmas dinner.
It’s also the perfect dish to serve when hosting a brunch for a crowd. You can even double the recipe and make one crustless version and then another with the pie crust. That way your guests can choose between the two. We love to serve ours with a berry fruit salad, a side of mixed greens or some crispy hash browns.
How to make a crustless quiche
- MIX. Add the eggs, milk and seasonings in a large bowl. Whisk the eggs until combined, then stir in the cubed ham, shredded cheeses and spinach.
- POUR. Next pour the egg mixture into a greased 9 inch pie dish.
- BAKE. Place in the oven and bake at 400°F until the top is golden, about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for about 5 minutes. Then slice and enjoy!
Tips + variations
- Filling swaps. Feel free to use whichever meats and veggies you have in the fridge. Sometimes I’ll use sausage or crumbled bacon and mix in other veggies like mushrooms, broccoli, peppers, onions, etc.
- Half and half. For an extra creamy texture, you may use half and half in place of milk.
- Spices. Feel free to add in other seasonings like garlic powder or onion powder. If you like spice you can also sprinkle in a few red pepper flakes or add a dash of hot sauce.
- Add crust. You can easily turn this dish into a traditional quiche recipe by adding a pie crust. Feel free to buy premade pie dough from the grocery or make your own homemade pie crust if preferred.
- Toothpick test. Even if the top of the quiche looks golden, I still like to use the toothpick test to double check that it’s cooked all the way through. Simply stick a toothpick into the center of the quiche. The toothpick should come out completely clean. If it’s not, cook for a few more minutes then retest.
- Let rest. Don’t slice into the quiche right when you take it out of the oven! It needs to rest for about 5 minutes so that the eggs have time to set.
Storing, freezing + reheating
- STORING: Make sure the quiche has cooled completely, then wrap the pan tightly with foil or saran wrap. It will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- FREEZING: Wrap the cooled quiche as mentioned above, then store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- REHEATING: If frozen, let the quiche thaw overnight in the fridge. Then cover with foil (to prevent too much browning) and bake in the oven at 300°F until warm.
More breakfast recipes to try:
- Mini egg frittatas
- Ham and cheese crepes
- Egg white omelette
- Sausage and egg breakfast casserole
- Savory breakfast crepes
- 4 large eggs
- 4 egg whites (can use 1/2 cup liquid or 2 whole eggs instead)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 cup ham (cubed, use a ham steak or leftover ham)
- 1/2-1 cup sharp or mild cheddar cheese (finely shredded)
- 2-3 Tablespoons mozzarella or parmesan cheese (finely shredded)
- 1/2-1 cup spinach (chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a 9" pie dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and parsley flakes. Stir in the ham, cheese and spinach. Then pour into the pie dish.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes clean. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Enjoy while warm!