This restaurant style fried rice you can make at home in 20 minutes! The perfect way to use up leftover rice sitting in the fridge.
This fried rice is one of my favorite side dishes…I could eat the entire bowl! It is SO good and full of flavor. I also love oven roasted vegetables, sweet potato fries, parmesan roasted broccoli and glazed carrots.
One of my favorite ways to use up leftover rice is to make Chinese fried rice. It’s super easy, flavorful and comes together in just 20 minutes. Plus my entire family loves it and can’t get enough!
This recipe is super versatile. Feel free to throw in more vegetables if you’d like. Mushrooms, chopped broccoli and/or bell peppers make a great addition. Or make it a main dish by adding in cooked protein like diced chicken, pork, steak or shrimp.
We love to serve along side of sweet and sour chicken. It seriously tastes like takeout, but is better for you, less expensive and can be made in the comfort of your own home. So easy and delicious!
Do you cook the rice before you fry it?
Yes, the rice should be cooked prior to frying. However, using cold rice is key. It helps the rice get crispier in the skillet and prevent any mushiness. I love to make a big batch of rice for a meal a couple of days before and save half for later.
How to make fried rice
Scroll down for the printable fried rice recipe.
- Chill the rice. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Cook the veggies. Add butter to a large skillet or wok. Add onion and carrots and cook for 2 minutes. Then stir in garlic and peas. Push veggies to one side and add the eggs to the skillet. Scramble and then stir together.
- Add in rice and stir. Gently stir and then add soy sauce and toss to coat. S&P to taste. If desired, add a dash or two of sesame oil.
- As mentioned above, be sure to use cold rice! It prevents it from getting mushy.
- Use 1 1/4 cups uncooked rice to make 4 cups of cooked rice.
- Feel free to add more veggies like mushrooms, chopped broccoli and/or bell peppers.
- Can add in cooked protein like diced chicken, pork, steak or shrimp to make it a meal.
- Want to learn how to cook rice on the stove? Check out this easy tutorial.
- Store in an airtight container and keep in fridge for up to 3 days or in freezer for up to 1 month.
What goes with fried rice?
We love to serve with popular some of these popular Chinese chicken dishes below.
- Orange chicken
- General Tso’s chicken
- Sweet and sour chicken
- Chicken and vegetable stir fry
- Cashew chicken
- Baked teriyaki chicken
- Honey garlic chicken
More delicious rice dishes:
Fried Rice Recipe
- 4 cups cooked rice , long or short grain rice
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 large eggs , whisked
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1-2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3-4 Tablespoons lite soy sauce
Optional: S&P and sesame oil, to taste
- Place the rice in the refrigerator to chill until ready to use.
- Place butter in a large skillet or wok. Add onion and carrots. Cook for 2 minutes. Then stir in garlic and peas. Push to one side and add the eggs to the skillet. Scramble and then stir together.
- Gently stir in cooked rice. Add soy sauce and toss rice to coat. Salt and pepper to taste. Add a dash or two of sesame oil if desired.
- 1 1/4 cups of uncooked rice makes 4 cups of cooked rice. Find instructions on how to cook rice here.
- Can add more veggies like mushrooms, chopped broccoli and/or bell peppers.
- To make a meal, add in cooked protein like diced chicken, pork, steak or shrimp.
- Store fried rice in an airtight container and keep in fridge for up to 3 days or in freezer for up to 1 month.