Creamy Chicken Enchiladas – A family-favorite meal that’s warm, gooey and oh-so-delicious! Packed with flavor and ready in less than an hour!
When it comes to classic Mexican dishes, you can’t beat chicken enchiladas. They’re a Mexican food staple that are delicious and have tons of flavor. Some of my other favorites are chicken taquitos, ground beef tacos, burrito bowls, fajitas and carnitas.
We make enchiladas all the time at our house! Although we love beef enchiladas, chicken enchiladas are our favorite. We even make different types of chicken enchiladas, like this version with red sauce or green chile enchiladas. Both are delicious!
Chicken enchiladas make a wonderful weeknight meal. I love that everything bakes up in one dish and that it takes less than an hour. Plus they are warm, cheesy and have tons of flavor. We love to add on our favorite toppings like cilantro, pico de gallo, sour cream, guacamole and sliced olives. Always a family favorite!
What should I put in my enchiladas?
Below are my favorites, but you could always add in extras like beans or rice.
- Enchilada sauce: For a creamier enchilada sauce, beat together 1 can of sauce with 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream.
- Butter: You’ll need butter to saute the onions and diced green chiles.
- Onion and chiles: This recipe calls for 1/2 cup chopped onion and a 4 ounce can diced green chiles.
- Cream cheese: I use cream cheese, but sour cream will work too.
- Salsa: Fresh salsa is best, but store bought will work too.
- Shredded cheese: I use Mexican cheese, but you can use cheddar or monterey jack too.
- Chicken breast: I love to use rotisserie chicken for convenience.
- Tortillas: Flour tortillas are my preference, as I’ve found they fold easier. You can use corn tortillas if desired.
- Toppings: Extras like cilantro, diced tomatoes, pico de gallo, sour cream, guacamole and sliced olives.
How to make chicken enchiladas
Scroll down for the printable chicken enchilada recipe.
- Preheat oven. Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a casserole dish with non-stick spray. Set aside. Pour about 1/4 cup of the sauce onto the bottom of the pan.
- Cook ingredients in fry pan. Melt butter in a fry pan and saute onions and green chiles. Over medium-heat, stir in cream cheese, 1/2 cup cheese and salsa. Once cheese is melted, mix in shredded chicken.
- Assemble enchiladas. Place about 3 Tablespoons of chicken filling in the center of each tortilla. Then roll them up and place in your dish seams down.
- Bake. Pour sauce over enchiladas, then cover with remaining cheese and place foil over pan. Bake for 20 minutes covered, then 10 more minutes uncovered. Remove from oven when nice and bubbly.
How long can you keep chicken enchiladas in the fridge?
Chicken enchiladas will keep in the refrigerator for about 3-5 days. Just store any leftovers in an airtight container or bag. To reheat, simply cook in microwave or oven until warm.
Can I freeze enchiladas?
Yes, chicken enchiladas make a great freezer meal! Just assemble the enchiladas in your baking dish, then cover tightly with foil or a lid (do not bake). Place the dish in the freezer and freeze for up to 2 months. Remove from freezer and pop in the oven when you’re ready to enjoy!
Chicken Enchilada Recipe
- 1 cup enchilada sauce , more if needed
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 4 ounces cream cheese , or sour cream
- 1/4 cup salsa , fresh is best
- 1-2 cups Mexican style shredded cheese
- 2 1/2 cups shredded chicken breast , I used rotisserie
- 8 flour or corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray casserole dish with non-stick spray and set aside. Pour about 1/4 cup of the sauce onto the bottom of the pan.
- In a frying pan, melt butter and saute the onions and green chiles. Over medium-heat, mix in cream cheese, 1/2 cup Mexican style shredded cheese and salsa. Once the cheese is melted, mix in the shredded chicken.
- Place about 3 Tablespoons of the chicken filling in the center of each tortilla. Then roll them up and place in your pan seams down.
- Then pour the sauce over the enchiladas. Cover with remaining shredded cheese and place foil over pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Then bake 10 more minutes uncovered. Take it out when it’s nice and bubbly!