These green chile chicken enchiladas are creamy, cheesy and full of flavor! This recipe is absolutely to die for…better than a Mexican restaurant!
I love the classic red enchiladas, but this green chile version is even better in my opinion. They’re super creamy and the flavors taste incredible together. If you love enchiladas, you are going to love this delicious variation!
Creamy green chile chicken enchiladas…cheesy, full of flavor and super satisfying! Believe me when I say these are SO GOOD! This recipe is an absolute favorite on our list and is requested by anyone who tries it. They even taste better than the ones that I order at my favorite Mexican restaurant. We make these green enchiladas at least once a month at our house…sometimes even 2 or 3 times because we love them so much!
I updated an older recipe of mine to make them creamier and it worked perfectly! I love how it turned out…the enchiladas have the perfect combination of flavors! They do have a little kick to them, so make sure to omit the chili powder and cumin if you don’t like spicy foods. This green enchilada recipe is so simple and makes the perfect dish to serve at any occasion!
How to make green chicken enchiladas
MIX. Mix together the chicken, cream cheese, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, lime and green chiles in a bowl until combined.
ROLL. Add 2 to 3 Tablespoons of the chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla. Add a spoonful of cheese on top if desired and then roll it up.
ASSEMBLE. Pour about 1/4 cup green enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9×13″ baking dish. Then add the tortillas in, seam side down. Pour the remaining sauce on top and then sprinkle with shredded cheese. Cover with foil.
BAKE. Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling. Top and enjoy!
Toppings + sides for serving
- Toppings: A few of our favorites are fresh cilantro, sour cream, sliced avocado, jalapenos and lime.
- Sides: These taste great served with a Mexican salad, Mexican rice and chips and salsa.
- Use leftover shredded pork or beef in place of chicken.
- Mix in black beans or corn with the chicken mixture if desired.
- Can also mix in your favorite veggies, such as peppers or zucchini.
- Omit the chili powder and cumin if you don’t like spice.
- I used flour tortillas, but corn tortillas work great too.
- Swap out the flour tortilla with whole wheat or gluten-free if preferred.
Assemble as directed into a freezer safe dish. Do not bake. Cover tightly with foil or a lid and store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
When ready to enjoy, remove from freezer and bake in oven as directed. You may need to bake a few minutes longer since you’re baking from frozen. When the cheese is nice and bubbly, that’s how you’ll know they’re ready.
More enchilada inspired meals:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Cheesy Enchilada Dip
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- One Pot Cheesy Enchilada Pasta
- Beef Enchiladas Recipe
Green Enchilada Recipe
- 8-10 flour or corn tortillas
- 2-3 cups shredded cooked chicken (about 4 chicken breasts)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened (you can also sub with sour cream)
- 4.5 ounce can diced green chiles (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (omit if you don't like things too spicy, add more if you do)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 14 ounce can green enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I prefer a mix of cheddar or pepperjack)
- chopped cilantro (optional)
- Combine shredded chicken, cream cheese, garlic, chili powder, cumin, kosher salt, black pepper, lime and diced green chiles in a medium sized bowl. Stir until combined.
- Spoon 2-3 Tablespoons into each tortilla and roll it up. You may also add Tablespoon of cheese inside the tortilla if desired. Place a little green enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9×13" dish and then put the tortillas in.
- Pour the rest of the green enchilada sauce over the tortillas and top with shredded cheese. Cover with foil.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 10-15 more minutes, until the cheese is nice and bubbly. Allow to cool and enjoy! Top with fresh cilantro if desired.
- Looking for an easy shredded chicken recipe? Click here.
- Add a squeeze of lime to the chicken mixture if desired.
- Omit the chili powder and cumin if you don't like spice.