Baked Macaroni and Cheese – Creamy, comforting and absolutely delicious. Tastes amazing baked with a little extra cheese on top. Perfect side dish recipe for entertaining!
Homemade baked macaroni and cheese
This recipe is one of my favorite homemade macaroni and cheese recipes! It is super creamy, and tastes amazing baked with a little extra cheese on top. We made this baked macaroni last weekend and my family devoured it! Definitely add this to your menu next week. There is just something so good about homemade macaroni and cheese. Maybe it’s all the butter…. maybe it’s all the cheese… who knows, but it is WAY better than that boxed stuff! ;)
You could even sprinkle on some ritz cracker crumbs or breadcrumbs before baking to add an extra touch. This homemade macaroni dish makes the perfect meal or side dish. We usually serve this up at holiday parties and the kids and adults all love it.
What are the ingredients of baked macaroni?
This baked macaroni and cheese recipe uses simple ingredients that are super easy to find at the store! Below are the ingredients you’ll need to get started.
- Elbow noodles
- Whipping cream
- Shredded cheese (I prefer both sharp and mild cheddar)
- Seasonings (S&P and creole/seasoned salt)
How to make baked macaroni and cheese
Scroll down for the printable baked macaroni and cheese recipe.
- Cook noodles according to package then drain.
- Melt butter over medium-low heat in a large pot. Then whisk in flour and cook for 3-5 minutes (stirring consistently). Add in salt and pepper.
- Next whisk in milk, whipping cream and mustard. Add shredded cheese and stir until smooth.
- Pour cooked noodles into pot and stir to combine.
- Pour into 9×9 or 9×13 buttered baking dish and add additional cheese on top. Bake uncovered at 350 for 20 minutes.
Can you make baked mac and cheese ahead of time?
Sure. If making ahead, follow recipe instructions (steps 1-5 below), however stick in the refrigerator and do not bake. Make sure to tightly wrap the pan in plastic wrap or aluminum foil prior to sticking in the fridge. You should bake the homemade macaroni within a day or two after refrigerating. One thing to note when making ahead of time: I like to cook my noodles to al dente, so that they don’t get super mushy when baking the next day. Also, be sure to let the chilled baked macaroni sit out at room temp for at least 30 minutes prior to baking.
Optional toppings for baked macaroni
- Ritz cracker crumb topping
- More shredded cheese!
- Hot sauce
- Sprinkle of garlic powder or paprika
Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 1 pound elbow noodles (or mini penne)
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 3-4 Tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons yellow or dijon mustard
- 3 cups medium or sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese (shredded), more if desired
S&P, to taste
Optional: 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9x13" baking dish and set aside.
- Cook your noodles in a large pot according to package, then drain the water once cooked.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium-low heat and then whisk in flour. Cook for about 3-5 minutes, stirring consistently.
- Whisk in milk, whipping cream and mustard. Next add in shredded cheese and stir until smooth. Add in salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add in cooked noodles and stir to combine.
- Serve as is, or pour into a 9×9 or 9×13 buttered baking dish and add additional cheese on top. Add bread crumbs if desired. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Broil for 1 minute if desired.
Enjoy!! Do you love homemade macaroni and cheese?