Easy instant pot chicken taco bowls that take just 5 minutes of prep. A family favorite meal idea that’s perfect for busy weeknights. Just simply dump and go!
Easy 30-Minute Meal
If there’s one meal that I know my whole family will always eat, it’s a taco or burrito bowl. They’re loaded with all of our favorites and are super easy to customize. My kids and husband love them!
Dump and go Instant pot meals are my all time favorite for busy weeknights. Once you learn how to use the Instant pot, you’ll never go back to slaving over the stove when you need dinner in a pinch.
These chicken taco bowls AKA burrito bowls will literally take you five minutes to toss in the pot and then it will be done in no time.
These are a family favorite for Taco Tuesday and it’s a meal I know my whole family will eat which is always a win in my book. They are very similar to my slow cooker chicken taco bowls, just a little easier. Everything is cooked (even the rice) in the instant pot. So easy and delicious!
Can I Use Frozen Chicken Breasts?
Yes definitely! I do this all the time. All you need to do is cook the frozen chicken in the Instant Pot for 10-12 minutes instead of 8. If the breasts are pretty thick, set it for 12. I also like to rinse the chicken off and pat dry so that the seasonings will stick better.
How to Make Taco Bowls in the Instant Pot
- ASSEMBLE. Layer ingredients in the instant pot in the following order: half of the chicken broth, chicken (with salt and chili powder rubbed on), salsa, black beans and corn, rice and remaining chicken broth. Then press down so the rice is covered.
- COOK. Set to high pressure and cook for 8 minutes (or 10-12 for frozen/thicker breasts). Let natural release for 12 minutes, then do a quick release.
- SHRED & FLUFF. Remove the lid and let sit for a few minutes. Fluff the rice lightly with a fork and shred the chicken.
- SERVE. Add mixture to bowls and serve with favorite toppings of choice. Enjoy!
The best part about taco bowls is you can load them up with your favorite toppings. Here are some of my favorites, but we usually just pull out whatever we have on hand.
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream or cilantro lime crema
- Guacamole or sliced avocado
- Diced tomatoes or pico de gallo
- Tortilla strips or tortilla chips
Perfect for Meal Prep
Another great thing about these instant pot taco bowls is that they make a wonderful meal prep option. I especially love to make them when meal prepping because there are hardly any dishes since everything is made in one pot.
To meal prep:
- Place 4-6 meal prep containers in a line on the counter.
- Pour rice mixture in the bottom of each container.
- Then add chicken mixture on top.
- Cover with lid and store in fridge until ready to enjoy.
TIP: I like to prep my toppings ahead of time, too. I’ll add toppings like guac, shredded cheese, pico, salsa and sour cream into small plastic condiment cups so that they’re ready to go. Then I’ll store chopped lettuce or spinach in a small zip top bag. So easy!
If you have leftovers, there are so many ways to repurpose them! Below are a few delicious ideas:
- Make a burrito
- Add to a salad
- Load onto nachos
- Add to tacos
- Make chicken stuffed peppers
More Easy Instant Pot Meals:
- Instant Pot Orange Chicken
- Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Taco Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
Instant Pot Chicken Taco Bowl Recipe
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast , I used 3 medium chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon chili powder , more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt , more to taste
- 1 cup fresh salsa
- 15 ounce can black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 cup roasted corn , I love the Trader Joes frozen roasted corn
- 1/2 cup rice
- lime juice , juice from 1/2 a lime
Optional toppings: sliced avocado, salsa, sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, tortilla chips
- Layer ingredients (in this order) in your instant pot. First, place half of the chicken broth in the bottom of the pan. Then add the chicken and rub the salt and chili powder on top. Next pour the salsa evenly on top. Then add the black beans and corn. Last add the rice. Then evenly drizzle the remaining chicken broth over the top. Lightly press down so the rice is immersed.
- Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes (10-12 minutes if the breasts are frozen depending on how thick they are). It will take about 10-15 minutes for the instant pot to reach pressure. Once it's done cooking, allow to natural release for 12 minutes. Then do a quick release.
- Allow to sit a couple minutes with the lid off. Remove chicken to shred. Lightly fluff the rice with a fork. Then add chicken and lime juice.
- Serve in bowls. Add favorite toppings like cheese, sliced avocado and sour cream and serve with tortilla chips.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!