Sweet and tender instant pot orange chicken covered in a juicy sauce. Made with less than 10 ingredients and done in 30 minutes!
Give me a one pot meal and I’m a happy girl. They’re quick, easy and require less clean up. Yes, yes and yes! We love this instant pot orange chicken, as well as one pot chicken and rice, burrito bowls, instant pot spaghetti and instant pot meatloaf.
This isn’t a deep fried coated orange chicken recipe like you would find at Panda Express. It is sweet glazed chicken and a little bit healthier than the fried version. It does still have a little sugar in the sauce, but you can easily substitute for honey if you’d prefer.
Plus it is SO much easier to make than coating and frying individual pieces like you do in my sweet and sour chicken recipe. Although that dish is one of my favorites, it does take a little more time. But with this easy orange chicken – everything is prepped in the Instant pot!
How to make orange chicken in the Instant pot
- Make the sauce: Whisk together orange juice, honey, garlic, ginger, vinegar and soy sauce. Set aside.
- Cook in Instant pot: Pour orange sauce over meat and stir together. Close lid and turn to manual pressure. Set to cook for 5 minutes. Once done, let naturally release for 10 minutes. Then do a quick release and remove lid.
- Thicken the sauce: Turn pot back to saute. Remove 1/4 cup sauce and whisk in corn starch. Stir mixture back in pot and let cook for 2 minutes, or until sauce reaches desired thickness.
- Serve over rice: Serve orange chicken over rice. If desired, add sliced green onions and fresh orange zest.
- Can sub honey for sugar or brown sugar if preferred.
- For more heat, whisk in 1 teaspoon sriracha to the sauce.
- For an even thicker sauce, add in a little more cornstarch.
- This is a great meal prep recipe. Make in instant pot, then portion into glass containers with rice and a veggie.
More Chinese dishes:
- Sweet and Sour Chicken
- General Tso’s Chicken
- Easy Cashew Chicken
- Slow Cooker Honey Chicken
- PF Chang’s Lettuce Wraps
Easy Orange Chicken Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts , cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 cup 100% orange juice
- 3 Tablespoons honey , could also use sugar
- 3 Tablespoons lite soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic , about 4 cloves
- 2 teaspoon grated ginger , or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar , or apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch
Optional: S&P, pinch of red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce for heat, orange zest, green onions
For serving: cooked rice
- Place the chicken in the Instant pot. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on top of the chicken.
- Dump in the orange juice, sugar, garlic, ginger, vinegar and soy sauce. Add in red pepper flakes or sriracha if you'd like to add a little heat. Stir until combined.
- Close the lid and turn on manual pressure and set to cook for 5 minutes. It will take about 5-10 minutes to build pressure.
- When the cook time ends, allow to do a natural release of pressure for about 10 minutes. Then do a quick release by turning the top knob and let it release any extra pressure. Then remove lid.
- Turn the instant pot back to saute. Remove about 1/4 cup liquid and whisk in the corn starch. If there's still a lot of liquid you could dump about 1/4 cup out. Then add the corn starch back to the chicken and let cook an additional 2-3 minutes, or until the sauce reaches desired thickness. It will thicken as it stands. Taste and salt and pepper if desired. If you'd like to cut the sweetness and add a little heat, add a dash of sriracha sauce.
- Serve over rice. Add green onions and fresh orange zest if desired.
- If you'd like to sear the chicken, saute in a pan with 1 Tablespoon for 2-3 minutes.