A creamy and comforting soup recipe loaded with shredded chicken, potatoes, bacon, corn and flavorful spices. This one-pot chicken and corn chowder is easy, hearty and super delicious!
Creamy One-Pot Chowder
I love a nice thick and chunky soup recipe and this creamy chicken and corn chowder does not disappoint! Made in just one pot with easy-to-find ingredients., this chowder is ready to eat from prep to finish in just one hour.
It tastes similar to my favorite corn chowder, but with the addition of shredded chicken which makes it even more hearty and delicious. I love serving it with a piece of crusty French bread or in a homemade bread bowl if I have the time.
There is just something soothing about a warm bowl of chowder on a cold day that warms the soul. It’s perfect for cool fall and winter nights, but is also refreshing enough to enjoy all year long. Other comfort food we love include this homemade chicken pot pie!
Tips + Variations
- Bacon grease. Don’t discard all of the bacon grease after cooking the bacon in the pot. Leave about 1/2 Tablespoon of grease in the pan to add extra flavor to the soup.
- Cheese. To make this a cheesy chicken and corn chowder, mix in about 2 cups of shredded cheese when adding in the milk.
- Spice. If you like heat, try adding in 1-2 chopped jalapenos. Remove the seeds if you don’t like overly spicy.
- Rotisserie chicken. To save time, I like to use a leftover rotisserie chicken. It’s easy to shred and no extra cook time is needed. However you could always make your own shredded chicken if preferred.
- Creamy. For an even creamier consistency, you may use heavy cream instead of milk or half and half.
Storing Chicken Corn Chowder
This soup will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container. Because of it’s creamy consistency from the milk (or half and half), I don’t recommend freezing the chowder. Dairy tends to separate when frozen, which can change the texture of the soup.
Don’t forget to load on all your favorite toppings when serving. Any of the below make great additions.
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Green onions
- Crumbled bacon
- Tortilla strips or crackers
- Chopped jalapenos
More Creamy Soup Recipes:
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Crockpot Potato Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Zuppa Toscana
- Broccoli and Cheese Soup
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Chicken and Corn Chowder
- 6-12 strips bacon , reserve some for top
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 red bell pepper , chopped
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 russet potatoes , peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 ½ teaspoons Kosher salt
- ¼ ground black pepper , more to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 to 1 ½ cups whole milk or half-and-half , warmed
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken , shredded
Optional toppings: Shredded cheese and sliced green onions
- Cut the bacon into 1/2" pieces. Cook the bacon in a large pot over medium-high heat. Once cooked, remove and place on a plate lined with paper towels. Leave about 1/2 Tablespoon of grease in the pan.
- Add the butter to the pan with the onions and bell pepper. Cook for 3 minutes then stir in the flour. Slowly stir in the chicken broth. Add in the potatoes, corn, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a light boil and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Add the milk into the soup with the chicken and simmer until it has begin to thicken. Add more if desired. Stir in bacon crumbles (reserving some for the top). Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Serve with cheese, bacon crumbles and green onions if desired.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
OMG I stumbled across this recipe looking for corn chowder. I made it with fresh corn on the cob that I nuked in the microwave. Then I added leftover shredded turkey breast that I roasted in my foodi grill. I also used heavy cream & milk. Easy & hearty. The hardest part was waiting for it to cool off so we could enjoy it. Thanks for sharing. Such a great recipe.
Sounds delicious! Love using fresh corn when I have it on hand :)
I’ve made this twice, and didn’t change a thing… it was perfect! Every recipe I’ve tried from the cookbook has been great too! I’m just waiting for the next one to come out! Please write another one soon!
Hi Shelly! I’m so glad to hear! Thanks for sharing your review. Hopefully another book will be in the works soon. Let me know if you have any suggestions for topics :)
We had a cold spell this week, so I decided to whip up some soup. This is the perfect comfort food! I was a little worried about adding the nutmeg, but it added a subtle warm flavor. I’ll be making it all winter!
This looks amazing and so delicious! I know this is going to be gone so fast. Excited to make this for dinner tonight! Sounds very comforting!
This is very easy to make and really tasty! Super loved how it turned out really flavorful, thanks a lot for sharing this amazing recipe! Will surely make this again!
We tried this last week and loved it! Thank you for this delicious recipe!
Jamielyn, this soup was a huge hit last night, and even my man approved it! :)
This is a really easy and surprisingly hearty dish. I made it with spicy hot taco seasoning and hot green chilis, along with the chipotle peppers as we like it hot, and it was fantastic! I topped each serving with tortilla chips, sour cream, green onions and fresh tomato.
I will make this again and again. Huge hit with everyone!
Thanks for your comment Trish, sounds delicious! Glad you enjoyed it!
This is my kind of soup! Love the flavor and spice. Yum!