A creamy and comforting soup recipe loaded with shredded chicken, potatoes, bacon, corn and flavorful spices. This one-pot chicken and corn chowder is easy, hearty and super delicious!
Creamy One-Pot Chowder
I love a nice thick and chunky soup recipe and this creamy chicken and corn chowder does not disappoint! Made in just one pot with easy-to-find ingredients., this chowder is ready to eat from prep to finish in just one hour.
It tastes similar to my favorite corn chowder, but with the addition of shredded chicken which makes it even more hearty and delicious. I love serving it with a piece of crusty French bread or in a homemade bread bowl if I have the time.
There is just something soothing about a warm bowl of chowder on a cold day that warms the soul. It’s perfect for cool fall and winter nights, but is also refreshing enough to enjoy all year long!
Tips + Variations
- Bacon grease. Don’t discard all of the bacon grease after cooking the bacon in the pot. Leave about 1/2 Tablespoon of grease in the pan to add extra flavor to the soup.
- Cheese. To make this a cheesy chicken and corn chowder, mix in about 2 cups of shredded cheese when adding in the milk.
- Spice. If you like heat, try adding in 1-2 chopped jalapenos. Remove the seeds if you don’t like overly spicy.
- Rotisserie chicken. To save time, I like to use a rotisserie chicken. It’s easy to shred and no extra cook time is needed. However you could always make your own shredded chicken if preferred.
- Creamy. For an even creamier consistency, you may use heavy cream instead of milk or half and half.
Storing Chicken Corn Chowder
This soup will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container. Because of it’s creamy consistency from the milk (or half and half), I don’t recommend freezing the chowder. Dairy tends to separate when frozen, which can change the texture of the soup.
Don’t forget to load on all your favorite toppings when serving. Any of the below make great additions.
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Green onions
- Crumbled bacon
- Tortilla strips or crackers
- Chopped jalapenos
More Creamy Soup Recipes:
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Crockpot Potato Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Zuppa Toscana
- Broccoli and Cheese Soup
Chicken and Corn Chowder
- 6-12 strips bacon , reserve some for top
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 red bell pepper , chopped
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 russet potatoes , peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 ground black pepper , more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups whole milk or half and half , warmed
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken , shredded
Optional toppings: Shredded cheese and sliced green onions
- Cut the bacon into 1/2" pieces. Cook the bacon in a large pot over medium-high heat. Once cooked, remove and place on a plate lined with paper towels. Leave about 1/2 Tablespoon of grease in the pan.
- Add the butter to the pan with the onions and bell pepper. Cook for 3 minutes then stir in the flour. Slowly stir in the chicken broth. Add in the potatoes, corn, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a light boil and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Add the milk into the soup with the chicken and simmer until it has begin to thicken. Add more if desired. Stir in bacon crumbles (reserving some for the top). Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Serve with cheese, bacon crumbles and green onions if desired.