Easy lemon cake mix cookies made with just 5 simple ingredients. These delicious Spring cookies are bursting with fresh lemon flavor!
Table of Contents
Easiest Lemon Cookie
Spring is here, which means I want all things light and lemony! First up on my baking list were these lemon cookies made with cake mix. Next, I will be adding some lemon zest to my favorite meringue cookie recipe!
I also can’t wait to make my lemon brownies, glazed lemon cookies and lemon muddy buddies. And for warm spring days when I want something chilled, this recipe for lemon meringue pie or lemon icebox pie recipe are the best!
These cookies are bursting with lemon flavor. The base is a lemon cake mix and then I added in lemon juice and zest in the batter. They are so pretty too. It’s like a chocolate crinkle cookie in lemon form.
Only 5 Ingredients
Honestly, these are my FAVORITE cake mix cookie to date! They are seriously so simple to make and only take 5 ingredients. They’re the perfect cookie for the beginner baker.
- Box of lemon cake mix
- Vegetable oil
- Powdered sugar
How to Make Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
MIX. Mix together the cake mix, oil and eggs. Then add 1 Tablespoon each fresh lemon juice and zest and mix until combined. At this point, I recommend refrigerating the dough for about 15 to 20 minutes so that it’s easier to work with.
ROLL. Scoop the dough into balls, then roll into powdered sugar. I like to use a medium cookie scoop or spoon to ensure my cookies are evenly sized. Then place on a lined baking sheet.
BAKE. Bake at 350°F for about 9 to 11 minutes, or until the cookies are set (but not brown). Let cool on the pan for a few minutes, then move to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Refrigerate the dough so that it’s easier to work with.
- Use a cookie scoop and drop the dough directly into the powdered sugar, so it doesn’t stick to your hands.
- Line the baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent brown bottoms.
- Add extra lemon zest if you prefer extra citrus flavor.
- When removing from the oven, the cookies should be set but not brown. They’ll continue baking as they cool.
Another great thing about these fcookies is that they freeze really well! Once out of oven, let them cool completely. Then freeze the cookies on a baking sheet for about 30 minutes, or until hard. Add to a freezer container or bag and store in freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, remove cookies from the freezer and let thaw on counter for about 2 hours prior to serving.
More Cake Mix Cookie Recipes
Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
- 15.25 ounce box lemon cake mix
- ½ cup vegetable oil , I like to measure just under the 1/2 cup line
- 2 large eggs
- 1 lemon
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Combine the cake mix, oil and eggs in a large bowl. Add in 1 Tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and 1 Tablespoon of lemon zest.
- Stir together just until combined. If you have the time, refrigerate the dough for 15-20 minutes (it will make it a little easier to work with, since it is sticky).
- Then use a medium scoop or spoon to scoop the dough onto the prepared baking mat. Then roll dough balls into the powdered sugar.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes, or until the cookies are set. You don’t want them to brown. Allow to cool on the pan for a couple minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!