These lettuce wrap burgers are the healthy, low-carb, and gluten-free answer to all your indulgent burger cravings. Load it up or keep it simple, either way, they’re a fun fresh twist on an old-fashioned hamburger!
Table of Contents
Easy and Juicy Bunless Burger
If you’re on the hunt for a healthy alternative to a nice juicy burger, you’ve come to the right spot. This lettuce wrap burger recipe is a healthy, portable(ish) easy lunch or a light dinner that does not skimp on all the things we love about a loaded and fabulous classic burger.
It’s a grilled hamburger with a simple salt and pepper seasoning, wrapped in crispy tender lettuce leaves, and topped with sliced tomato, sliced avocado, red onions, and whatever else you like. A slice of cheese for a cheeseburger perhaps? Load it up with as much drippy burger sauce as you’d like, or keep it simple and dainty. I mean, if you really want to go there, you could even eat it with a knife and a fork!
It’s very similar to a burger in a bowl, but not just without the hamburger bun, this time it’s without the bowl! Swap the beef for a turkey burger to keep it light or go the opposite direction and double stack your burger for days you’re extra hungry.
You hold it like a burger so you’ll never miss the bun. It’s low carb, gluten-free and simple to pull together in a pinch. A burger in a lettuce wrap is a yummy way to curb burger cravings while increasing your veggie intake. It’s a win for taste and health!
Best Type of Lettuce to Use
For this recipe, you want lettuce with leaves with a surface area big enough to wrap around and cup most of the burger and its toppings. When you’re making a burger salad, that’s a different story, but a lettuce burger needs to hold its own. Some good choices are iceberg, Romain, or Boston bibb. All are crispy, tasty, and flexible.
Topping Ideas for a Lettuce Burger
Time to build the ultimate burger! Serve with the same sides you would as any burger. French fries are always a good idea!
- Veggies: Sliced pickles, pickled onions, caramelized onions, red onions, fajita veggies
- Cheese: Shredded cheddar, sliced cheddar, Monterey Jack, crumbled feta
- Sauces: Ketchup, mustard, burger sauce, mayo, relish
- Extras: Olives, sliced avocado, bacon, fried egg
Tips & Variations
- To bake in the oven: To enjoy a baked hamburger, place burgers on a cooling rack sitting on a baking sheet lined with foil. Cook at 425ºF for 15 minutes or until the juices run clear. The internal temperature should read 155ºF.
- Swap beef with ground lamb, chicken, or turkey.
- For additional seasoning for the burger, use this hamburger seasoning.
- Grab a bowl and have a burger in a bowl instead, especially if you’re at work!
- Remove the extra grease on a paper towel once it’s cooked. Too much extra grease will cause everything to get too soggy and fall apart on you.
More Low Carb Favorites
Lettuce Wrap Burger
- 1 pound ground beef , could sub for ground turkey
- ¾ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 lettuce cups
- 1 tomato , sliced
Optional toppings: shredded cheese, pickles, avocado, onions, bacon, burger sauce
- Combine the hamburger, salt, garlic powder and pepper in a small bowl. Then form 4 patties and press a thumbprint into the center. Cook in a skillet over medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 155ºF. Remove to a plate lined with paper towel to catch any extra grease.
- While the hamburgers are cooling, prepare your desired toppings.
- Divide the lettuce onto four plates. Once the hamburgers have slightly cooled, add to the top of lettuce. Then add desired toppings.
- Serve while warm. Store leftover meat separate from the toppings.
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Then place a cooling rack on top of the foil wrapped pan.
Place burgers on rack and cook for 15 minutes, or until juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 155°F.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!