These baked hamburgers only take 3 simple ingredients with easy clean up. They’re so easy to make, hearty, and flavorful. Perfect for those days that you don’t feel like firing up the grill.
Table of Contents
Hamburgers in the Oven
There’s nothing I love more than a summer BBQ with friends and grilling hamburgers. However sometimes on a quick weeknight, it’s nice to bake hamburgers in the oven. While you won’t get those perfect charred grilled marks, you’re still going to get a nice juicy burger.
We also love to use my hamburger seasoning and add my favorite burger sauce. You could even go gourmet and make homemade hamburger buns. I only do that on special occasions, but they are so yummy!
We make these hamburgers in the oven pretty often. And since the oven is already on, you can make delicious sides at the same time like homemade french fries or baked sweet potato fries.
Best Baked Hamburger Ingredients
Only three ingredients to make the best-baked hamburgers. Follow these steps to prepare, add sauce, and seasoning then simply bake in the oven. These are the best burgers around and your family will love them!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Ground beef: Lean ground beef is best! I like to use 80% lean and 20% fat. This is tender and juicy meat that will bake perfectly together.
- BBQ sauce: Make a homemade barbeque sauce or purchase your favorite flavor at the grocery store.
- Hamburger seasoning: I love to use this homemade hamburger seasoning or make your own seasoning with your favorite seasons. If you prefer a simple seasoning black pepper and salt are always great options too.
How to Bake Hamburgers
Cooking burgers in the oven is a great way to stay out of the cold or if you don’t have a grilling area. These baked hamburgers are tender, juicy, and so delicious! These are simple to make and come together easily.
- Prepare the baking pan. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, then place a cooling rack on top of the pan.
- Season and shape the patties. Add ground beef, BBQ sauce, and hamburger seasoning in a medium bowl. Use your hands to gently mix them together, just until combined. Then shape into 4 patties about 1/2-inch thick. Use your thumb to make a well in the center of each patty, to prevent the burgers from bulging when they cook.
- Bake in the oven. Place the patties on the cooling rack and bake in an oven at 425°F for about 15 minutes. Add cheese slices immediately if desired, so the cheese melts on top of the hot burger.
5 star review
“This is one mouthwatering hamburger! It’s easy for us to grill hamburgers where we are (plus my husband does the grilling :-) ) but, as you said, when the propane unexpectedly runs out, which it did, this recipe came in handy. And they got gobbled up super fast, so I’d say that was an unqualified YUM for these burgers.”-Linda
Cooking hamburgers is just as easy in the oven and still has an easy cleanup similar to grilling. With these helpful tips, your burger patties will come together perfectly.
- Cleanup: Line your pan with aluminum foil for easy cleanup.
- Cookie sheet: Place a cooling rack on your baking sheet. This will help the excess fat or grease drain from the hamburger and give some mini grill marks.
- Meat thermometer: Check the hamburgers with a meat thermometer, to make sure you don’t overcook them. They are ready when the temperature reaches 155°F.
- Add cheese! If you want to add cheese to your burgers, add the cheese slices during the last 2-3 minutes of cooking.
- Healthy: Keep it low carb and make a lettuce wrap burger or burger in a bowl by serving over mixed greens with your favorite toppings.
Add all the toppings you love to create the best hamburger experience! Take your burger to the next level with extra toppings like this caramelized onions. Give it a savory good home taste!
- Classic toppings: Lettuce, tomato, sliced onions, red onions, or pickles for a classic hamburger.
- Cheese: Make cheeseburgers with these cheeses. Cheddar cheese, Monterey cheese, or a little spice with jalapeno jack cheese. Melt your cheese while the baked burgers are cooking.
- Sauces: ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard, or burger sauce to boost flavor in every bite.
- Bacon: Everyone loves a few pieces of bacon separate and on your burger.
Baking hamburgers in the oven requires a higher temperature of 425 degrees F. It takes 15 minutes to bake without flipping. Add cheese to your burger during the last few minutes of the baking process.
No! That is another great tip for baking burgers. There is no need to flip the baked burgers. Cooking them on the wire rack with the cookie sheet allows the juices to help the air circulate all around the burgers.
Hamburgers should reach 160 degrees Fahrenheit internally. This will help destroy any harmful bacteria that may be present. Use a meat thermometer to help find this internal temperature.
Yes! Parchment paper or aluminum foil works great and make them less messy to clean up. Cooking spray will only add more grease and that is not necessary.
Every burger needs fries! These fries are some of the best and taste amazing. Try these baked sweet potato fries, homemade french fries, or these healthy zucchini fries.
More Hamburger Recipes
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Baked Hamburger Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (80% lean and 20% fat)
- 1 Tablespoon BBQ sauce (or steak sauce)
- 2 teaspoons hamburger seasoning
Optional: Hamburger buns, lettuce leaves, sliced cheese, ketchup, mayo, mustard, thousand island, bacon, tomato slices, sliced onion, pickles
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Then place a cooling rack on top of the foil wrapped pan.
- Combine the ground beef, BBQ sauce and hamburger seasoning in a medium-sized bowl. Mix just until combined with your hands and shape into 4 patties about 1/2-inch thick. Make a well in your patties with your thumb to prevent from bulging.
- Place burgers on the rack and cook for 15 minutes, or until juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 155°F. Top with cheese slices, if desired.
- Serve hamburgers on buns with your favorite toppings.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
These burgers are amazing!! They were so simple to make and everyone loved them!
New go to recipe for busy days! I love how flavorful this burgers were. Kids love them. Highly recommended!
These burgers were so perfectly cooked that it felt like we had just gone and got them from a restaurant.
very good 8* add 2 or 3 teaspoons bread crumbs. :-)
So glad you enjoyed the recipe!
Burgers were great but cleaning up the cooling rack was not fun. :( I added cheese and it got goobered up in all those little squares on the rack.
LOVED this! No fuss / no mess and juicy (no pink) the way I like them! Thank you!
I’m so glad you enjoyed them! :)
I have been baking my own hamburgers for years now but my recipe truly needed tweeking! Your hamburger spice combination is delicious. I also decided to put a little pat of butter on each burger before putting in the oven…..very good! And today I roasted a chicken and used your hamburger spice combination on it with an addition of thyme….really nice flavour:) Thank you very much for the recipe and all your tips.
I’m so happy you enjoyed them! Thanks for your comment Michelle!
I also added a pack of onion soup mix, then served it over a bed of white rice with brown gravy over top. Very easy dinner!
Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing.
This is one mouthwatering hamburger! It’s easy for us to grill hamburgers where we are (plus my husband does the grilling :-) ) but, as you said, when the propane unexpectedly runs out, which it did, this recipe came in handy. And they got gobbled up super fast, so I’d say that was an unqualified YUM for these burgers.
Yummy! My son loves burgers. He’ll be so excited to try this recipe! So excited to make these!