Taco Lettuce Wraps – A healthy, flavorful and delicious alternative to hard shell tacos. Plus they’re paleo, Whole30 and gluten-free!
I love to make lettuce wraps whenever I’m trying to eat cleaner. They’re such a great healthy alternative and still taste so delicious. Some of my favorite lettuce wrap recipes are my cashew chicken lettuce wraps, PF Chang’s lettuce wraps, chicken club lettuce wraps or lettuce wrap fajitas.
One of my new favorite healthy dinner recipes are these taco lettuce wraps. I made them when I was doing a round of the Whole30, since you can’t have any grains or gluten. I decided to try a lettuce wrap instead of a taco shell and to my surprise, I didn’t even miss the shell! They were so good!
These taco lettuce wraps are super easy to make and perfect for busy nights on the go. I usually double my taco meat and freeze half of it, so I can pull it out of the freezer for a quick meal.
My whole family loved these (even my picky eaters)! For my kids, I took out some of the meat before adding the seasonings and then served some tomatoes on the side. My kids are weird about mixing too many foods. You could even chop up the romaine and make them into a taco salad if you’d like. So easy and yummy!
- Olive oil
- Red bell pepper
- Lean ground beef or turkey
- Spices: Cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, S&P
- Romaine lettuce cups
- Toppings of choice
How to make taco lettuce wraps
- Brown the onions, peppers and ground beef. In a large pan over medium-heat, saute the onion and bell peppers in the olive oil. Once translucent, add ground beef and brown. Remove any excess grease.
- Add in seasonings and simmer. Mix in the spices and salsa and let simmer for a few more minutes, until combined and thick.
- Top and serve! Add taco meat to the inside of each lettuce leaf and top with your favorite toppings.
Toppings for tacos
I love to top my lettuce tacos with fresh pico de gallo and sliced avocado! Perfection! :)
- Pico de gallo
- Sliced avocado or guacamole
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Diced peppers
- Black beans
More healthy dinners:
- Stuffed Bell Peppers with Quinoa
- Fajita Salad
- Turkey Burgers
- Baked Teriyaki Chicken Bowl
- Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Taco Lettuce Wraps
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup onion
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder , omit if you don’t like spice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup salsa
For serving: Lettuce cups or taco shells
Optional toppings: pico de gallo, avocado, sour cream, cheese
- In a large frying pan, saute the onion and bell peppers in the oil over medium-heat. Once onions are translucent, add ground beef and brown. Remove any grease.
- Mix in salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and salsa. Let simmer for a couple minutes and then serve the taco meat inside a lettuce wrap or taco cup.
- Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- Can use lean ground beef or ground turkey.
- Omit the chili powder if you aren't a huge fan of spice.
- I love to double my taco meat and freeze half for a busy weeknight. Check out how I freeze mine in this post.
- Can use hard taco shells if preferred.