Taco lettuce wraps -a healthy and delicious alternative to hardshell tacos!
One of my new favorite dinner recipes is these taco lettuce wraps. If you follow me on instagram, you probably saw I am doing the whole 30 (only 2 days left)! You can’t have gluten, so I decided to try a lettuce “shell” instead. To my surprise, I didn’t even miss the taco shell. These were so good! The lettuce wraps are perfect for summer, easy to make and great for busy nights on the go. I usually double my taco meat and freeze half of it, so I can pull it out of the freezer for a quick meal.
My whole family loved these (even my picky eaters)! For my kids, I took out some of the meat before adding the seasonings and then served some tomatoes on the side. My kids are weird about mixing too many foods.
I love topping mine with avocado! :)
Looking for more healthy recipes? You’ll love these too:
Taco lettuce wraps
- 1 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup onion
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder omit if you don’t like too spicy
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup salsa
- romain lettuce head
- *Optional toppings:*
- Pico de gallo
- Sour cream
- In a large frying brown, saute the onion and bell peppers in the oil over medium heat. Once onions are translucent, add hamburger and brown. Remove any grease and then mix in salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and salsa. Let simmer for a couple minutes and then serve the taco meat inside the lettuce.
- Top with your favorite toppings!