Taco lettuce wraps -a healthy and delicious alternative to hardshell tacos!
One of my new favorite dinner recipes is these taco lettuce wraps. If you follow me on instagram, you probably saw I am doing the whole 30 (only 2 days left)! You can’t have gluten, so I decided to try a lettuce “shell” instead. To my surprise, I didn’t even miss the taco shell. These were so good! The lettuce wraps are perfect for summer, easy to make and great for busy nights on the go. I usually double my taco meat and freeze half of it, so I can pull it out of the freezer for a quick meal.
My whole family loved these (even my picky eaters)! For my kids, I took out some of the meat before adding the seasonings and then served some tomatoes on the side. My kids are weird about mixing too many foods.
I love topping mine with avocado! :)
Taco lettuce wraps
- 1 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup onion
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder ,omit if you don’t like spice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup salsa
For servings: Lettuce cups, or taco shells
Optional toppings: pico de gallo, avocado, sour cream, cheese
- In a large frying brown, saute the onion and bell peppers in the oil over medium heat. Once onions are translucent, add hamburger and brown. Remove any grease.
- Mix in salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and salsa. Let simmer for a couple minutes and then serve the taco meat inside a lettuce or taco cup.
- Top with your favorite toppings.
Looking for more healthy recipes? You’ll love these too: