These congo bars are a soft and chewy chocolate chip cookie bars made using one bowl and a sheet pan. They are so easy to make and are perfect for a crowd!
Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar
I absolutely adore chocolate chip cookies and love to make fun (and delicious!) variations of them. These bars are one of my favorites, as well as chocolate chip cookie pie, pizookie (cookie pizza), M&M cookie bars and chocolate chip cookie dough truffles.
These congo bars AKA chocolate chip cookie bars were a Sunday staple at my husband’s house growing up. This yummy recipe was passed down from his grandma and is one we all LOVE. The cookie bars are so easy to make and are super yummy!
Crispy around the edges and chewy in the middle…just the way I like them. We love to top ours with vanilla and ice cream and hot fudge sauce. You could even add a dollop of whipped cream and some yummy caramel sauce. So, so delicious!
To make this recipe, you’ll only need a few simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand. They come together so easily and can be mixed together in just one bowl (amounts included in printable recipe below).
- Brown sugar
- Salted butter
- Baking powder
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
How to Make Congo Bars
Find the printable recipe below.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 12×14 pan and dust lightly with flour.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Then add eggs and vanilla and stir until combined.
- Mix baking powder and salt with 1 cup flour. Pour into the butter mixture and stir in rest of flour. Then fold in chocolate chips.
- Press dough into pan with flour on your hands. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until lightly browned and toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool, then top with ice cream and hot fudge if desired.
How Many Bars Does a 9×13 Pan Hold?
I typically make these congo bars in a 12×14″ pan, however a 9×13″ pan will work too. If making in a 12×14″ pan, I usually slice them into 20 squares. When making in a 9×13″ pan, I’ll slice them into 16 squares.
Please note that cooking time may vary if making the cookie bars in a 9×13″ pan. The bars will have more depth, so may take a little longer to cook. Just be sure to keep an eye on them and test with a toothpick. The toothpick should come out clean when stuck in the middle of the pan.
Can you Freeze Them?
They are great to store in the freezer. Just make sure they have cooled completely before freezing. To freeze, simply wrap in foil and then place in an airtight container or freezer bag. The cookie bars will keep in the freezer for a couple of months.
More Delicious Desserts:
- Cheesecake Cookie Bars
- S’mores Bars
- Brown Butter Blondies
- Peanut Butter Blondies
- Cake Mix Cookie Bars
Optional: ice cream and hot fudge
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a 12×14 pan (9×13 will work too, they'll just be a little thicker) with parchment paper or foil. Cream butter and sugar together in a large bowl until creamy. Then add in eggs and vanilla and mix just until combined.
- Next mix the baking powder and salt with 1 cup of flour. Pour into the butter mixture and stir in then add the rest of the flour. Mix just until combined. Then fold in chocolate chips.
- Press dough into pan with flour on your hands. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until lightly browned and toothpick comes out clean. The cookie bars should be soft in the center.
- Allow bars to cool slightly and then slice into bars.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!