These Congo Bars are a soft and chewy chocolate chip cookie bars made using one bowl and a sheet pan. They are so easy to make and are perfect for a crowd!
I absolutely adore chocolate chip cookies and love to make fun (and delicious!) variations of them. These chocolate chip cookie bars are one of my favorites, as well as chocolate chip cookie pie, pizookie (cookie pizza), M&M cookie bars and chocolate chip cookie dough truffles.
Chocolate chip cookie bars
These congo bars AKA chocolate chip cookie bars were a Sunday staple at my husband’s house growing up. This yummy recipe was passed down from his grandma and is one we all LOVE. The cookie bars are so easy to make and are super yummy!
My husband had a craving for them the other night, so we just HAD to make them. Crispy around the edges and chewy in the middle…just the way I like them. We love to top our congo bars with vanilla and ice cream and hot fudge sauce. You could even add a dollop of whipped cream and some yummy caramel sauce. So, so delicious!
Congo bars recipe ingredients
To make the cookie bars, you’ll only need a few simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand. They come together so easily and can be mixed together in just one bowl.
- Brown sugar
- Salted butter
- Baking powder
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
How to make chocolate chip cookie bars
Find the printable congo bars recipe below.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 12×14 pan and dust lightly with flour.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Then add eggs and vanilla and stir until combined.
- Mix baking powder and salt with 1 cup flour. Pour into the butter mixture and stir in rest of flour. Then fold in chocolate chips.
- Press dough into pan with flour on your hands. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until lightly browned and toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cookie bars to cool, then top with ice cream and hot fudge if desired.
How many bars does a 9×13 pan hold?
I typically makes these congo bars in a 12×14 pan, however a 9×13 pan will work too. If making in a 12×14 pan, I usually slice them into 20 bars. When making in a 9×13 pan, I’ll slice them into 16 bars.
Please note that cooking time may vary if making the cookie bars in a 9×13 pan. The bars will have more depth, so may take a little longer to cook. Just be sure to keep an eye on them and test with a toothpick. The toothpick should come out clean when stuck in the middle of the pan.
Can you freeze chocolate chip cookie bars?
These congo bars are great to store in the freezer. Just make sure they have cooled completely before freezing. To freeze, simply wrap in foil and then place in an airtight container or freezer bag. The cookie bars will keep in the freezer for a couple of months.
Congo Bars Recipe
- 2/3 cup salted butter (softened)
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2-2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 12x14 pan (9x13 will work too) and lightly dust with flour.
- Cream butter and sugar together in a large bowl. Then add in eggs and vanilla and stir until combined.
- Next mix the baking powder and salt with 1 cup of flour. Pour into the butter mixture and stir in the rest of the flour. Then fold in chocolate chips.
- Press dough into pan with flour on your hands. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until lightly browned and toothpick comes out clean. The cookie bars should be soft in the center.
- Allow bars to cool and then top with ice cream and hot fudge, if desired. Enjoy!
Eat them plain or top these chocolate chip cookie bars with ice cream and you have a match made in heaven! These congo bars were gone in about .25 seconds. Pure chocolate goodness I tell ya!