Amazing Sugar Cookie Bars that are soft, fluffy and absolutely delicious! Half the work of traditional sugar cookies and taste just as good! Topped with a rich buttercream frosting to make the ultimate sweet treat!
This sugar cookie bar recipe is one of my tried and true desserts that I’ve been making over the years. It’s so easy and the sugar cookie bars always turn out amazing. Some other favorites of mine are chocolate chip pudding cookies, M&M cookie bars, cake mix cookies and 7-layer bars.
Sugar cookie bars
One of my all time favorite desserts is sugar cookies. Topped with spoonfuls of frosting, of course! I could eat frosting straight out of the bowl. Okay, let’s be honest…. I DO eat frosting straight from the bowl. ;) Mmm…
Okay back to sugar cookies. I believe there are two ingredients that make a good sugar cookie: sour cream and powdered sugar. Two things you would never think about… but trust me, those ingredients make all the difference! The sour cream keeps the dough moist and the powdered sugar makes the dough fluffy.
These sugar cookie bars that I’m sharing today turned out so good! Seriously! I had to give them away FAST, or else I would have devoured the whole pan. The nice thing about these sugar cookie bars is that they are half the work and taste just as good. The frosting is also one of my favorites! Did I mention that part? ;) These really are perfect for any holiday treat!
How to make sugar cookie bars
Scroll down for the printable sugar cookie bar recipe and video tutorial.
Sugar cookie bars
- Combine the flour, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Then using a stand mixer or hand mixer, mix together the butter, sugar and powdered sugar for about 3 minutes, until fluffy. Next add in the vanilla, eggs and sour cream and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour dough mixture into a buttered 9×13 glass baking pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes (until lightly browned) and let cool.
Frosting for sugar cookie bars
- Combine all frosting ingredients in a large bowl.
- Beat with a mixer until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Once the sugar cookie bars have cooled completely, spread frosting evenly over top with a spatula.
- Optional: Add decorative sprinkles on top of frosting to make more festive!
TIP: After pouring the dough mixture into the pan, I like to use a piece of parchment paper to press the dough down into the pan. This helps to create a smooth and even surface.
Can you freeze sugar cookie bars?
If you’re wanting to freeze these sugar cookie bars, I would recommend freezing the cookie dough instead. It holds up very well in the freezer and will last a few months. To freeze the dough, roll into a log shape and tightly wrap with plastic wrap. Then place in an airtight container or ziploc bag. To thaw, stick in the refrigerator overnight.
Sugar Cookie Bars Recipe
For the Sugar Cookie Bars:
- 2 1/2 cups baking flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup salted butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup sour cream
For the Buttercream Frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoon half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- Food coloring (optional)
Optional: Sprinkles for topping
For Sugar Cookie Bars:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
- With a mixer, combine butter, sugar and powdered sugar until fluffy (about 3 minutes). Pour in vanilla, eggs and sour cream and mix until combined. Then pour dry ingredients into this bowl and mix until combined.
- Place mixture in a buttered 9×13 glass pan. Press down on dough with hands (or a piece of parchment paper) to smooth out the surface to avoid lumpiness.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Do not over cook.
For Buttercream Frosting:
- Combine ingredients in a large bowl and beat with a mixer for 2 minutes, or until fluffy.
- Once sugar cookie bars have cooled completely, pour frosting over top and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Optional: Top with sprinkles for a decorative touch!
These sugar cookie bars are one of our favorite treats. I hope you enjoy!