Amazing sugar cookie bars that are soft, fluffy and absolutely delicious! Half the work of traditional sugar cookies and taste just as good! Topped with a rich buttercream frosting to make the ultimate sweet treat!
This recipe is one of my tried and true desserts that I’ve been making over the years. If you love sugar cookies, you’re going to love these bars. A few of my other favorite variations are fruit pizza with a sugar cookie crust, swig sugar cookies or my sugar cookie truffles.
One of my all time favorite desserts is sugar cookies. Topped with spoonfuls of frosting, of course! I could eat frosting straight out of the bowl. Okay, let’s be honest…I DO eat frosting straight from the bowl. ;) Mmm…
Okay back to sugar cookies. These sugar cookie bars that I’m sharing today turned out so good! Seriously! I had to give them away FAST, or else I would have devoured the whole pan. The nice thing about them is that they are half the work and taste just as good. The frosting is also one of my favorites! Did I mention that part? ;) These really are the perfect treat for any occasion!
Two secret ingredients
I believe there are two ingredients that make a good sugar cookie: sour cream and powdered sugar. Two things you would never think about…but trust me, those ingredients make all the difference! The sour cream keeps the dough moist and the powdered sugar makes the dough fluffy.
How to make sugar cookie bars
DOUGH. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl. Set aside. Use an electric mixer to mix together the butter, sugar and powdered sugar for about 3 minutes, until fluffy. Next mix in the vanilla, eggs and sour cream. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
ASSEMBLE. Pour the dough mixture into a buttered 9×13″ glass baking pan. Press down on the dough to spread it out smoothly in the pan.
BAKE. Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes (until lightly browned) and then let cool.
- Combine all frosting ingredients in a large bowl.
- Beat together with a mixer until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Once the bars have cooled completely, spread frosting evenly over top with a spatula.
The great thing about these sugar cookie bars is that they are perfect for literally any occasion. You can decorate them for a birthday, baby shower, holiday or even just for fun! Below are a few fun decorations to add:
- Color the frosting with food coloring
- Add sprinkles on top (rainbow, holiday, etc.)
- Can also mix sprinkles in with the dough
- Add M&M’s on top of frosting
- Can add almond or lemon extract to the dough for extra flavor.
- After pouring the dough into the pan, I use a piece of parchment paper to press it down to create a smooth and even surface.
- Remove from the oven when the edges are lightly golden. The center will continue cooking as it cools.
- Make sure the bars have cooled completely before frosting. You don’t want the frosting to melt!
More cookie bar recipes:
Sugar Cookie Bars Recipe
For the Bars:
- 2 1/2 cups baking flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup salted butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup sour cream
For the Buttercream Frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoon half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Food coloring (optional)
Optional: Sprinkles for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
- With a mixer, combine butter, sugar and powdered sugar until fluffy (about 3 minutes). Pour in vanilla, eggs and sour cream and mix until combined. Then pour dry ingredients into this bowl and mix until combined.
- Place mixture in a buttered 9x13" glass pan. Press down on dough with hands (or a piece of parchment paper) to smooth out the surface to avoid lumpiness.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Do not over cook.
- Combine ingredients in a large bowl and beat with a mixer for 2 minutes, or until fluffy.
- Once the bars have cooled completely, pour frosting over top and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Optional: Top with sprinkles for a decorative touch!