Make a quick honey mustard sauce in five minutes or less. This healthy, delicious, homemade version of the popular sweet and tangy sauce is the only way to make it!
Table of Contents
5-minute Dipping Sauce
If your family likes to dip as much as mine does, this honey mustard sauce recipe is the ultimate choice for a sauce that strikes the perfect balance between sweet and tang.
It’s a 5-minute recipe that you’ll want to keep a jar of for any and all occasions because there’s a never-ending list of ways to use it. It goes well with everything from dipping, dunking, and dressing meat and veggies to pairing with party platters and appetizers.
My kids LOVE to dunk their chick-fil-A nuggets and homemade french fries in it almost as much as I love to use it as a drizzle in my chicken club lettuce wrap. Making homemade honey mustard sauce is great because I can control the ingredients, unlike anything store-bought. I’ll use raw honey and apple cider vinegar when I have it for added health benefits (you know, for when I need to balance out the pigs in a blanket) and sometimes even a pinch of cayenne for heat.
Just 4 Ingredients
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Mustard: I like to use a blend of Dijon and yellow mustard to get a little bit of the tang and heat of both.
- Honey: The sweetness works so well with the kick of mustard.
- Mayonnaise: This add creaminess and helps thicken the sauce.
- Vinegar: It may seem counterproductive, but the acid actually helps mellow the tand of the mustard.
What is in Honey Mustard Sauce?
It’s made with 4 ingredients, 2 of which might be obvious (honey and mustard), and the other two play a key role in adding both flavor and texture. The mayo thickens it up, adding a bit of fat to cut the acid, making it a creamier dressing. The vinegar or lemon juice, despite also being acidic, mellows out the sharpness of the mustard flavor but maintains the zesty tang. It’s the best! If you like it sweeter, add some extra honey, and both Dijon and yellow mustard or a blend of both will work for this recipe.
How to Make Honey Mustard Sauce
- Stir. Simply mix together mustard, honey, mayo, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a bowl until creamy.
- Chill. Cover and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
Favorite Ways to Use It
Below are a few ways my family uses this sauce. Dip it, dunk it, or dress it and enjoy the sweet and zesty taste of this awesome sauce as much as we do.
- Baked chicken tenders
- Grilled salmon
- Baked chicken wings
- Soft homemade pretzels
- Pretzel bites
- Sweet potato fries
You can try apple cider vinegar, lemon juice or white wine vinegar. This recipe is pretty adaptable, so have fun and mix things up a bit to see what you like best.
No reason why not. It will change the flavor, so you will need to adjust it to your taste, but it should still work.
It would best to try a dairy free brand of mayonnaise to make this recipe dairy free.
Yes! From salmon to chicken or even your favorite vegetables this would taste great.
It can be stored up to 5 days in the fridge in a sealed container.
How to Store It
Keep stored in an airtight jar for up to 5 days in the fridge. And don’t forget to give it a big stir before enjoying!
More Homemade Sauces
Honey Mustard Sauce
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons mustard , plus more to taste
- 2 Tablespoons honey , plus more to taste
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar , or lemon juice
- Salt , to taste
- Ground black pepper , to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, mustard, honey and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Use as a dipping sauce with your favorite chicken nuggets, tenders, or French fries.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!