Make this year’s Halloween party centerpiece a puking pumpkin with guacamole! It’s such a fun and festive way to serve an appetizer and use the Jack-o-Lantern for more than decorating your front porch!
Table of Contents
Guacamole Puking Pumpkin
This year I’m stepping way outside of the box when it comes to Halloween snack ideas! Up until now most of my easy Halloween recipes have been fun and cute like Halloween rice krispies treats and mummy dogs, but this year, we’re getting a wee bit gross and hilarious!
Present a carved Halloween pumpkin puking to your crowd with fresh homemade guacamole “vomit” coming out of its mouth! Line it with homemade tortilla chips for dipping and scooping and any other dippers you want to add.
The kids will get a real kick out of watching you make this Halloween party appetizer! Dare them not to laugh and watch as they try and hold in their giggles!
Why This Recipe Works
- It’s a showstopper. This puking pumpkin recipe just screams Halloween! It’ll have everyone howling at the very sight of it!
- Everyone’s favorite party dip. Who knew something so gross could be so delicious?! ;)
- Easy to make. It’s a simple 8-ingredient guacamole, including salt and pepper. Add everything to a bowl and mash. It’s a breeze.
- A refreshing change. This classic party appetizer is a fresh healthy way to balance out the sugary treats!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Avocados: Use ripe avocados that are slightly soft to the touch. That way they will mash easier and not taste unripened. For easy mashing, here are some great tips on how to cut an avocado first.
- Lime juice: Freshly squeezed from one lime. The citrus will help prevent the guac from turning brown but it also adds a nice zip!
- Salsa: Use any salsa you have on hand. If you have some extra time and want to make homemade salsa, I highly recommend it.
- Chopped red onion & minced garlic: Knowing how to mince garlic and chop onion is a great tool to have when adding them raw especially.
- Cilantro: A fresh, herbaceous flavor that I love in homemade guacamole!
- Salt & pepper: For added flavor and simple seasoning.
- Carved pumpkin: For a larger crowd and more guacamole, use a larger pumpkin. If it’s just a small amount, then a small pumpkin like a sugar pumpkin that you might use to make pumpkin pie will do just fine.
- Tortilla chips: For serving with the Halloween puking pumpkin.
How to Make a Puking Pumpkin with Guacamole
- Slice the avocados. Use a sharp knife to slice the avocados in half. Carefully stab the pit with the long edge of the blade. The pit should hang on to the blade as you pull it out.
- Scoop out the inside. Use a spoon to scoop out the avocado flesh and place it in a large mixing bowl. Discard the peel.
- Combine all dip ingredients together. To the same bowl, add the lime juice, salsa, onion, garlic, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Mix and mash with a fork until desired texture and consistency is reached.
- Arrange the platter. Place the carved pumpkin on a large platter. I generally find using a rectangle plate is perfect. Spoon the guacamole so that it is coming out of the mouth and onto the tray. Arrange the tortilla chips on either side of the Halloween puking pumpkin.
Pumpkin Carving Tips
- Clean the outside of the pumpkin well. Since this won’t be sitting outside, and will be a part of your table, it needs to be clean.
- Use a sharp knife to cut a circle around the stem at the top of the pumpkin. Use the stem to open the lid to get in there to remove all the pumpkin guts (ie seeds and string) from inside of the pumpkin.
- Don’t discard the seeds, keep them for roasted pumpkin seeds!
- I keep my pumpkin face as simple as possible (you know, round hole for the mouth and eyes). As long as the open mouth is large enough to fit the dip, this Halloween puking pumpkin will work!
Expert Recipe Tips
- If you’re pressed for time, you can certainly use a store-bought guacamole, or use another kind of your favorite dip.
- To ramp up the flavor a bit, you can add in a little cumin, chili powder, or chopped jalapenos.
- Sprinkle on a little cotija cheese or feta for extra yum!
- If you want to make vomit nachos instead, lay the tortilla chips in front of the mouth, and top with salsa, sour cream, guacamole, cheese, you name it!
Whatever you normally dip into guacamole is what you can use to dip into your barfing pumpkin! Crackers, veggies, bread, pretzels, etc.
Yes and no. If you’re not a fan of carving pumpkins, feel free to use a black permanent marker to draw on a face. The only thing you will still need to do is carve the mouth. Otherwise, you’ll have no place to put your guacamole vomit.
For sure. Just make sure it’s thick enough to hold and not become runny. One with chunky textures is also a good idea!
Homemade guacamole is best served the day it’s made. If you want to make it a little in advance, keep the avocado pit(s) and place them on top of the dip to help prevent browning. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until you’re ready to use it.
If it’s brown by the time you need to add it to your Halloween puking pumpkin display, just scrape off the top brown layer. Underneath should still be nice and green.
More Halloween RecipesBrowse all
- 3 avocados
- 1 lime , juiced
- 2 Tablespoons salsa
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion , can omit if desired
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- Dash ground black pepper
Carved Pumpkin with a Face
For serving: Tortilla Chips
- Slice the avocados in half and remove the pit. Using a spoon, scoop the avocado from the peel and place in a large bowl.
- Stir in the lime juice until. Add the salsa, onion, garlic, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Mash with a fork until you reach desired consistency.
- Place the carved pumpkin on a rectangle plate. Spoon the guacamole coming out of the mouth. Spread tortilla chips on either side.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!