These parmesan roasted carrots are savory, sweet and completely addicting! A quick and easy side dish that’s baked to perfection and full of flavor.
This roasted carrots recipe is one of my favorite ways to eat carrots. Roasting them with the olive oil, parmesan, and garlic turns an ordinary carrot into something extraordinary. You can turn any carrot-haters into carrot-lovers with this recipe. Seriously. They are that good. And so easy to make, too!
Whenever I make a batch of them, I find myself snacking on them the rest of the night. I’m telling you… if you haven’t ever tried parmesan roasted carrots, you need to. My kids gobble them right up.
How do you cut carrots for roasting?
I prefer to use whole carrots and cut them into sticks. Start by washing and peeling them, then place on your cutting board. Cut the stem off, then cut each carrot in half. Cut each half into half again vertically, so that you’re left with a stick shape similar to the below picture. You may need to cut the thicker pieces in half again depending on their size.
Alternatively, you can use baby carrots instead which require no cutting. They’re a little thicker, so it may take a tad longer for them to get tender and carmelized.
Do you need to boil them before roasting?
No, they don’t require boiling before roasting. That’s the beauty of this recipe…you only need 1 pan and the carrots roast perfectly in the oven! Tender on the inside but crispy on the outside. So delicious!
How to roast carrots
SEASON. Add seasonings in a zip top bag, then add in sliced carrots. Shake until the carrots are well coated. Then spread them out on a lined baking sheet sprayed with nonstick spray.
BAKE. Bake until tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Make sure to toss the carrots about halfway through to ensure all sides are cooking evenly and there’s no burning.
SERVE. Remove from oven and top with fresh parsley if desired. Enjoy!
Can they be made ahead of time?
Sure! If making in advance, I’ll typically add my sliced carrots to a zip top bag and add the oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Then I’ll place the bag in the fridge and let the flavors marinate until I’m ready to bake. Before baking, I’ll add the parmesan and bread crumbs to the bag and shake until coated. Then I’ll stick the carrots in the oven and roast. Very easy!
More ways to season
There are many different ways to season carrots prior to roasting. Check out some of the delicious seasoning combos below. You can’t go wrong with any of these!
- Honey: Olive oil, honey, salt and pepper
- Soy: Soy sauce, honey and olive oil
- Balsamic: Olive oil, balsamic (or balsamic glaze) and brown sugar
- Thyme: Thyme, olive oil, salt and pepper
Serve this dish alongside:
Parmesan Roasted Carrots Recipe
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves minced garlic (2 teaspoons)
- 3 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1-2 Tablespoons panko bread crumbs (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (more to taste)
- 4-5 cups carrots (peeled and sliced, or baby carrots)
- chopped parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with foil. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the olive oil, garlic, parmesan, bread crumbs, salt and pepper in a large zip top bag. Add the carrots and shake until they are well coated. Then spread out onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until tender. Toss with a spatula half way through.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately. Top with fresh parsley if desired.