This rocky road candy only takes 5 ingredients and super easy to make at home. Made with chocolate, marshmallows and nuts. Absolutely no cooking or baking required. Perfect for when you need a last minute holiday treat!
Table of Contents
Grandma’s Rocky Road
With just 5 simple ingredients, you can make this delicious rocky road candy right at home. No baking or cooking required! Simply melt chocolate and nuts together, then mix in the marshmallows. A sweet treat that’s perfect for holidays, parties, or anytime you want something chocolaty.
It tastes so delicious that no one will know how easy it was to whip up. It has the perfect ratio of sweet and salty.
5 Simple Ingredients
Combine the ingredients in the slow cooker and it does all the work for you. Seriously, this rocky road candy is one of the easiest treats you’ll make all season!
- Chocolate chips: Semi-sweet taste best in my opinion.
- Dark chocolate chunks: This adds another layer of rich chocolate flavor.
- Peanut butter: The creamy type works best (not the natural, drippy kind).
- Peanuts: The saltiness of the peanuts perfectly balances out the sweet chocolate flavor. They also give it a nice crunch.
- Marshmallows: I love the texture these add. You stir them in once the chocolate has cooled a bit so that they keep their shape and don’t melt.
How to Make Rocky Road Candy in Crockpot
- COMBINE. Add all ingredients except marshmallows in crockpot.
- COOK. Cover and cook for 1 hour. Remove lid and stir until smooth.
- MIX. Turn crockpot off and let chocolate mixture cool (for about 2 minutes). Then add marshmallows and mix.
- SCOOP. Immediately place rounded spoonful’s of the candy onto a lined cookie sheet. Top with chopped peanuts and extra marshmallows. Allow to cool before serving.
Tips + Variations
- You can omit the chocolate chunks and use 1 3/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips if desired.
- You can replace the peanuts with other types of nuts like almonds or pecans.
- Make sure the chocolate mixture has cooled a bit before mixing in the marshmallows (or else they will melt).
- To speed up the cooling process, place the candy in the refrigerator to chill until firm.
Storing and Freezing
- To store: Rocky road will last about 1-2 weeks stored at room temperature, or about 3 weeks in the fridge. I prefer to chill mine in the fridge because it keeps the candy firm and it tastes delicious when chilled.
- To freeze: Make sure it has cooled completely and firmed up prior to freezing. Then wrap clusters in plastic wrap and place in an airtight container. It should last a couple of months in the freezer. To thaw, place in the fridge overnight. I sometimes even snack on the rocky road right out of the freezer. I let it sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before eating. It’s still a little tough, but I think it’s yummy that way. :) If you’d prefer your rocky road on the softer side, then stick with the overnight method.
The Perfect Holiday Gift!
Looking for a fun gift to give? Place a piece of parchment paper in a basket and place the rocky road inside. Then tie with some bakers twine and a holiday tag. So fun, festive and delicious!
More Easy Candy Recipes
Rocky Road Candy
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside. Combine the chocolate, peanuts and peanut butter into a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 1 hour. Remove lid and stir until smooth. Turn off the slow cooker and allow chocolate to cool for 2 minutes and then stir in marshmallows.
- Immediately place rounded spoonful's onto the lined cookie sheet. Top with extra marshmallows and chopped peanuts if desired. Allow to cool.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!