Walking tacos are a simple and delicious dinner idea with hardly any clean up. Your favorite taco meat and toppings served in a bag of Fritos or Doritos. These tacos are perfect for parties and potlucks!
These are a fun and delicious spin on your classic beef tacos. Instead of serving them in corn or flour tortillas, the meat and toppings are served in a bag of Fritos or Doritos. They have the best flavor and crunch!
Walking tacos are fun to make for a grab and go dinner, summer get together, tailgating party or camp fire dinner. Some call them Frito pie, but I know so many that love to use Doritos instead of Fritos as well. Both add a yummy crunch and taste so delicious. These are super easy to make ahead of time and are a great crowd pleaser. There’s also very little clean up, which makes these great for gatherings.
What is a walking taco?
It’s basically a portable “taco” where you add taco meat and toppings inside of a small bag of Fritos or Doritos. I know there is a debate on whether these are called walking tacos or frito pie, but we’ve always called them walking tacos. Frito pie has more of a chili base. You can definitely add beans to this taco meat though if preferred.
How to make walking tacos
- Brown the meat. Cook the meat and onions in a large skillet over medium heat. Once browned, drain off any extra grease.
- Add seasonings. Stir in the taco seasoning, salsa (or tomato sauce) and water and bring to a light simmer.
- Assemble the tacos. Pour the taco meat into the bag of Fritos or Doritos. I like to crush the chips first, then add the meat. Add your favorite toppings and enjoy with a fork.
These walking tacos are super easy to customize with your favorite toppings. Below are some of my top picks:
- Use ground turkey or a combo of turkey and beef to lighten it up a little.
- Use kalua pork or salsa chicken in place of taco meat if preferred.
- You can also add in vegetables such as bell peppers or corn.
- You can cut the bag along the side and serve on a plate if you prefer.
Tips for serving a crowd
- Add in ranch style beans or pinto beans with the meat. This will help bulk up the meat if you’re serving for a crowd.
- Make the meat ahead of time, then keep warm in the crockpot until serving.
- Set up a walking taco bar so that guests can easily assemble their own tacos.
- Don’t forget to set out utensils and napkins for serving. I always include some extra plates as well, in case some guests would rather enjoy on a plate instead of right out of the bag.
More easy Mexican dinners:
Walking Taco Recipe
S&P to taste
For serving: 6 (1 or 2 ounce) bags of Fritos or Doritos, shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, tomatoes, cilantro, guacamole and sour cream
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef and onion and cook until browned, stirring occasionally breaking up any large pieces.
- Once browned, drain off any extra grease. Then add in the taco seasoning, salsa or tomato sauce and water. Bring to a light simmer. Add more water as desired.
- Add meat into the bag of Fritos or Doritos. Feel free to crush the chips first if desired. You could also serve meat over a bed of lettuce and add crushed chips on top to make a salad.
- Add your favorite toppings on top and enjoy with a fork.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!