Taco Casserole – Delicious layers of ground beef, beans, corn, tortilla chips and cheese. Baked to perfection and ready in just 15 minutes. This taco bake will become a fast favorite!
This easy taco casserole is a family favorite! It’s quick, easy and perfect for busy weeknights. Not to mention it’s full of amazing flavor. Some of our other flavorful favorites are Mexican chicken casserole, taco salad, Mexican stuffed shells, beef enchiladas and baked chicken taquitos.
Easy taco casserole
I love a good casserole. They’re easy, quick and made in one dish. And when you combine a simple casserole with delicious Mexican flavors…I’m in heaven!
This taco casserole is a favorite and is loaded with so many yummy ingredients! I especially love the gooey melted cheese and crunch from the tortilla chips. Yum! And the best part?! It’s made in just 15 minutes! It really doesn’t get better than that.
My family loves this taco bake recipe and gets so excited when it’s on the menu. We like to add on all our favorite toppings like cilantro, tomatoes, guacamole and sour cream. Sometimes we even serve with Mexican rice or cilantro lime rice. Or just keep it simple with chips and salsa. So easy and delicious!
How to make taco casserole
Scroll down for the printable taco casserole recipe.
- Preheat oven and line pan with chips. Preheat oven to 375°F and spray a 9×13″ pan with non-stick spray. Line bottom of pan with tortilla chips and sprinkle half the cheese over chips.
- Brown meat in skillet. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add in ground beef and onions. Cook until browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add in remaining ingredients. Drain any excess grease, then add in taco seasoning, salsa, water, black beans and corn. Bring to a light simmer.
- Layer in pan and bake. Layer meat mixture on top of chips in pan, then sprinkle with cheese and any extra tortilla chips. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
- Add toppings and serve. Top with your favorite toppings and serve!
Note: Feel free to lay down corn tortillas in place of tortilla chips. You can also make this taco casserole with Doritos instead of tortilla chips as well. Sometimes I even bulk up my taco bake by adding cooked rice or more vegetables.
Favorite toppings for taco bake
We love to top our taco casserole with lots of yummy toppings! My personal favorites are diced tomatoes, onions, cilantro, sliced olives, sour cream and guacamole. Yum!
- Sour cream
- Shredded lettuce
- Extra crushed chips
What goes with taco casserole?
If you’d like to serve a side dish alongside your taco casserole, below are some options that would taste delicious.
- Mexican rice
- Cilantro lime rice
- Chips and salsa
- Mexican street corn
- Black or refried beans
- Mexican salad
- Sauteed peppers and onions
Taco Casserole Recipe
Optional toppings: sliced olives, diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9x13" pan with non-stick spray. Line the bottom of the pan with tortilla chips. Sprinkle half the cheese over the chips.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef and onion and cook until browned, stirring occasionally breaking up any large pieces.
- Once browned, drain off any extra grease. Then add in the taco seasoning, salsa , water, black beans and corn. Bring to a light simmer. Add more water as desired.
- Layer meat mixture on top of the chips in the pan. Sprinkle with cheese and any extra tortilla chips. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly.
- Top with your favorite toppings.
- In place of tortilla chips, you can also lay down corn tortillas along the bottom.
- To bulk it up even more, feel free to add in cooked rice and more vegetables.