Hands down one of the easiest and yummiest recipes to serve at your next holiday party! This easy cheese ball recipe is always a huge hit!
Table of Contents
Perfect Party Appetizer
I’m always looking for easy appetizer recipes to make for get-togethers. This cream cheese ball is one of my favorites and is a true party staple. The classic version is always a hit, but a bacon ranch cheese ball or cranberry orange cheese ball are two other delicious recipes for cheese balls that also get rave reviews!
This recipe is SO easy to make and only takes 4 ingredients. Can’t beat that. You can also make it the night before and I think it tastes even better the next day once the flavors and textures have had time to marry together. It makes the perfect Christmas or Thanksgiving appetizer.
Place it out with some crackers and a veggie tray at your next gathering along with a few other crowd favorites like pigs in a blanket, easy potato skins, homemade pretzel bites or buffalo chicken dip. The adults and kids all love it!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Cream cheese: You can’t make a cream cheese ball without the cream cheese! It’s the base of the recipe and what gives this appetizer it’s taste and shape. Make sure to soften the cream cheese before mixing so that it’s easier to work with.
- Green onions: A bit more mild than a red or white onion. Chop them fine so that there’s not too much onion in one bite!
- Ranch dressing mix: The main flavor source for this easy cheese ball recipe. Look for the dry mix (not the liquid bottle). My favorite brand is Hidden Valley.
- Pecans: For coating the exterior. Chopped pecans provide a nice crunch as well as a buttery and nutty taste. See below for more coating variations.
- Dill: Adding fresh or dried dill is optional, although I highly recommend it. The flavor of the dill pairs perfectly with the cream cheese, ranch mix and green onions.
How to Make a Cheese Ball
This is honestly one of the easiest appetizers ever. Just follow the simple steps below. Scroll down for the printable recipe.
- Mix together ingredients. Mix the softened cream cheese, green onions, ranch dressing mix and fresh dill in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill. Place on plastic wrap, cover and form the cream cheese mixture into a ball. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Coat with pecans. Put pecans on a plate. Remove from plastic wrap and roll in pecans until well-coated.
- Serve and enjoy! Place on a platter with crackers and serve.
5 star review
Everyone LOVED this! It was so easy to make. I will be making it again and again for parties!– Tina
This recipe is great because it can be prepped the night beforehand as well! I honestly think it tastes better if made a day ahead because the flavors have time to marry together and taste extra delicious.
- Use an electric mixer to mix all ingredients together (except pecans) until smooth.
- Place mixture on top of saran wrap, cover and form into a ball.
- Store in the fridge over night.
- Before serving, roll in chopped pecans until well-coated.
- Serve on a platter with crackers!
There are plenty of delicious serving options. Below are some of our favorites!
- Pita chips
- Veggies (cucumbers, carrots, bell peppers, celery)
This cream cheese ball can sit out at room temperature for about 2 hours. Due to it’s dairy content, it shouldn’t sit out any longer for safe consumption.
It will keep in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks, although I’m sure it will get eaten up before then since it’s so delicious. :) We love using the leftovers as a snack with fresh veggies.
Absolutely. Mini cheese ball bites are so fun! Mix the cream cheese mixture as instructed, then cover and chill in the fridge until firm. Shape into 1-inch balls, then roll into the chopped pecans.
More Easy AppetizersBrowse all
Cream Cheese Ball
- 16 ounces cream cheese , softened
- ¼ cup green onions , chopped fine
- 1 Tablespoon ranch dressing dry mix (like Hidden Valley)
- ½ teaspoon dill , optional
- ½ cup pecans , chopped
For serving: Favorite snack crackers or vegetables
- Mix all ingredients except pecans with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Place mixture on plastic wrap, cover and form into ball. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Put pecans on a plate. Remove from plastic wrap and roll in pecans until well-coated.
- Place on a platter with crackers and serve. Enjoy!
- If you don’t want to use nuts, you can use chopped bacon or crushed crackers instead (similar to my Chex crusted bacon cheese ball).
- If you’d like more cheese, you can mix in 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese with the cream cheese.
- Make-ahead: Follow steps 1 & 2, then let chill in fridge overnight. Before serving, roll in chopped pecans until well-coated.
- Storage: Will keep in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks if covered or stored in an airtight container.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!