Mexican 5 layer dip filled with refried beans, guacamole, sour cream, cheese and diced tomatoes. Super easy, tasty and ready in just 15 minutes. This crowd favorite appetizer is loaded with flavor!
Table of Contents
Easy Mexican 5 Layer Dip
This is one of my absolute favorite Mexican appetizers. Each of the 5 layers pack of punch of flavor and blend together perfectly. It’s like a taste explosion in your mouth! We love serving this dip with Fritos or homemade tortilla chips. So yummy.
This 5 layer bean dip is similar to my favorite 7 layer dip but with a few less ingredients. I love it because it’s super easy to whip up…there’s no cooking or baking required and it’s ready in just 15 minutes. The flavors are so delicious and it looks so pretty with the different layers and colors.
It also makes a smaller amount in a 9″ dish, so it’s perfect for a smaller gathering or when you want to serve it with other crowd favorites like chili queso dip.
You could even make it in individual cups (similar to these 7 layer dip cups) to make it easier to grab and go at potlucks or game day. Guests always love this dip and ask for the recipe. It’s a tried and true appetizer that never disappoints!
Below are the 5 main layers for the dip. Once you’ve assembled them, feel free to add on extra toppings like sliced olives, green onions or cilantro.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Beans: Mexican refried beans get mixed with softened cream cheese and taco seasoning to create a creamy and flavorful first layer.
- Guacamole: I love making homemade guacamole, but you can definitely buy it premade to save time and dishes.
- Sour cream: All you need is plain sour cream for the third layer.
- Cheese: Shredded cheddar cheese is then sprinkled over the sour cream layer. You could also use a Mexican blend of cheese.
- Tomatoes: The diced roma tomatoes are added on last. It’s important to drain them of any juices before sprinkling them on.
How to Make 5 Layer Dip
- 1st layer: Mix together the refried beans, softened cream cheese and taco seasoning until combined. The cream cheese is optional, but I love the extra creamy texture it adds. It helps to microwave the cream cheese for a few seconds before mixing it in. Then spread the bean mixture onto the bottom of your dish.
- 2nd layer: Spread the guacamole evenly on top of the beans.
- 3rd layer: Next spread the sour cream over the layer of guacamole.
- 4th layer: Sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly on top.
- 5th layer: Lastly, add the diced Roma tomatoes on top of the cheese. Make sure to drain the juices from the tomatoes before adding them on so that the sour cream stays thick and the cheese doesn’t get soggy. At this point, feel free to add on any extra toppings that you’d like.
Tips + Variations
- Doubling. This recipe is great for a smaller gathering. If serving a large crowd, you can double the recipe and serve in a 9×13″ pan or in a trifle dish.
- Seasonings. For more flavor, you can add a Tablespoon of ranch seasoning mix into the sour cream layer. You can also keep the refried beans plain and then mix the cream cheese and taco seasoning in with the sour cream instead.
- Extra layers. Feel free to add in extra layers if preferred. Sometimes I’ll add a layer of chunky salsa on top of the guacamole or even some taco meat in between the layers of refried beans and guacamole.
- Serving. This dip can be served in a 9-inch pie dish, 9×9-inch baking dish or in mini cups for individual servings.
I would keep this chilled until ready to serve, and only leave it out up to 2 hours.
Absolutely! You can make your own easy refried beans if you’d prefer.
This is one of those dips that definitely tastes best if made the day of. You can assemble the bean and sour cream layers in advance and then refrigerate. Then right before serving, add the remaining layers.
No you do not need to heat up the 5 layer dip before serving. It is best served cold. You may like this warm bean dip instead, though!
Other easy dips we love include this spinach artichoke dip, french onion dip, and pizza dip.
More Easy Appetizers
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
5 Layer Dip
- 1 (15-ounce) can refried beans
- 4 ounces cream cheese , softened, optional
- 1 ½ Tablespoons (1 packet) taco seasoning
- 1 cup guacamole
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Roma tomatoes , diced and drained of juices
Optional topping: Sliced black olives, Chopped cilantro, Sliced green onions, Avocado, Salt, Pepper
For serving: Tortilla chips or Fritos
- In a small bowl, mix beans, cream cheese, if using, and taco seasoning.
- In a 9×9-inch pan, a pie dish, or in individual cups, create even layer of bean mixture, then guacamole, and finally sour cream.
- Sprinkle the cheese and diced tomatoes over the top. Finish with sliced olives, green onions, and cilantro, if desired. Season with salt and pepper, if using.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. The dip is best eaten the day it is made. Serve with fresh tortilla chips or Fritos. Enjoy!
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
We make this as a hot dip for dinner
Sounds great! Thanks for your review :)
Making them in individual pots is a great idea. They are so fun.
Do we know what size cup this is?
A 9-ounce plastic tumbler :)
I was looking for something to make for this weekend movie night. This is it! Looks delicious. My boys gonna love this.