The most amazing cheesy chicken enchilada dip you will ever make! Loaded with shredded chicken, cheese, enchilada sauce and flavorful Mexican spices.
Easy Mexican Chicken Enchilada Dip
If you know me, you know creamy chicken enchiladas are one of my favorite Mexican food recipes! I would literally eat them every day if I could. Because I love them so much, it’s fun to make tasty variations like this delicious dip, enchilada pasta or chicken enchilada soup. So yummy!
Whenever we are craving Mexican food, we usually end up making something at home. Which brings me to this cheesy chicken enchilada dip. This dip has a little bit of a kick but isn’t too spicy. And it’s perfectly cheesy, creamy and delicious. My husband and I literally devoured it. It is so good!
The fresh cilantro on top adds the perfect touch. Don’t skimp on it! We love to use homemade tortilla chips for dipping, but you could even enjoy it with chopped veggies, too.
Seriously? Who could resist a pan full of this cheesy goodness? I certainly couldn’t. We really should have invited friends over when I made this enchilada dip. It was just TOO good to stop eating! Probably my new favorite Mexican appetizer and the perfect game day dip!
- Cream cheese: Gives the dip that creamy base that’s simply irresistible. Make sure it’s at room temperature before using. Learn how to soften cream cheese quickly.
- Enchilada sauce: I like to use the classic red enchilada sauce for the most traditional flavor. If you prefer green enchilada sauce, go for it!
- Chicken: Shredded cooked chicken is needed for this recipe. For convenience, feel free to use rotisserie or cooked canned chicken. Or make a batch of this easy Instant Pot Mexican chicken.
- Green chiles: Use a small can of diced green chiles to add a little heat to the enchilada dip.
- Cheese: My favorite type of cheese to use for this recipe is shredded pepper jack cheese. Monterey jack cheese, cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese are also great options. Freshly shredded cheese tastes best!
- Cilantro: A popular Mexican herb that adds a fresh, citrusy flavor. It gets mixed into the dip, as well as sprinkled on top right before serving.
- Taco seasoning: For an an extra boost of Mexican flavor, I like to add some taco seasoning to my dip. You can either buy a store-bought package, or use your own homemade taco seasoning.
Feel free to add in extras like black beans or corn. Just mix them in with the other ingredients until combined. For a spicier chicken enchilada dip, add an extra dash of paprika, cayenne, chili powder or your favorite hot sauce. You could also use cooked shredded beef or ground beef taco meat in place of chicken.
How to Make Chicken Enchilada Dip
- Preheat oven and prepare pan. Preheat the oven to 375ºF and spray an 8×8″ baking dish with cooking spray.
- Mix ingredients together. Place the cream cheese in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Mix in the enchilada sauce and stir until well combined. Then add in the chicken, green chiles, 3/4 cup shredded cheese, 2 Tablespoons cilantro and taco seasoning. Stir just until combined.
- Bake in oven. Pour the dip mixture into the baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly. Remove from oven and top with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Place back in oven and broil for a few minutes until cheese is lightly golden.
- Top and serve. Top with remaining 2 Tablespoons of fresh cilantro or sliced green onions. Serve with fresh tortilla chips. Enjoy!
Place cream cheese, enchilada sauce, chicken, green chiles, 3/4 cup cheese, 2 Tablespoons cilantro and taco seasoning in slow cooker. Stir together. Cook on low for 1 hour, or until cheese is bubbly. Before serving, add remaining cheese on top and broil for a couple minutes for a perfectly golden top.
Enchilada Dip Toppings
You can serve the dip as-is, or garnish with any of the delicious options below!
- Freshly chopped cilantro
- Sliced green onions
- Diced tomatoes or pico de gallo
- Sliced avocado or guacamole
- Sour cream
- Sliced black olives
Make Ahead + Storing Tips
- Storage: Add leftover dip to an airtight container and store in fridge for up to 3 days.
- To make-ahead: Prepare dip as directed. Cover with foil or saran wrap and place in fridge for up to 24 hours. Before placing in oven to bake, let sit at room temp for about 10 minutes.
Fun Ways to Use Leftovers
Use leftover enchilada dip to make any of these delicious Mexican dishes. Just add some Mexican rice, beans and corn and call it dinner!
- Chicken Stuffed Peppers: Fill the peppers with the dip and bake until tender.
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole: Layer the filling with corn tortillas in a pan and bake.
- Baked Chicken Taquitos: Fill tortillas with dip, then roll and bake until crispy.
- Sheet Pan Nachos: Add dip over a layer of tortilla chips, then bake and top.
- Taco Pockets: Use the dip as the filling instead of taco meat.
Tortilla chips or Fritos are always a crowd favorite! You can even serve with breadsticks of sliced French baguette. Or keep it low carb and serve with fresh sliced bell peppers for a healthier option. You really can’t go wrong!
Yes, this chicken enchilada dip recipe is gluten free. Just make sure to double check the packaging on your enchilada sauce and taco seasoning before using. Gluten can be a sneaky ingredient in some store-bought items!
Sure! Simply double the ingredients and bake in a 9×13-inch baking dish until golden and bubbly.
More Delicious Party Dips
- 7-Layer Dip: Always a crowd favorite and the first appetizer to go.
- Buffalo Chicken Dip: Made with only 5 ingredients in the crockpot.
- Hot Cheesy Corn Dip: Super creamy, cheesy and flavorful.
- Queso Dip with Chorizo: The best queso you’ll ever try!
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Chicken Enchilada Dip
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese , softened
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce
- 1 1/2-2 cups cooked shredded chicken , I used rotisserie
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1-1 ½ cups shredded pepper jack cheese , divided (monterey jack works too)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro , divided
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- Tortilla chips , for serving
Optional toppings: Chopped cilantro, Sliced green onions, Sliced tomatoes, Sliced avocado
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Spray an 8×8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Mix in the enchilada sauce and mix until well combined. Stir in the cooked chicken, green chiles, 3/4 cup shredded cheese, 2 Tablespoons cilantro, and taco seasoning until combined.
- Pour into the baking dish. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly. Remove from oven and top with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Return to oven and broil until cheese is lightly golden.
- Top with the remaining 2 Tablespoons cilantro. Serve with fresh tortilla chips.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
Seriously. YUM. We couldn’t get enough of this chicken enchilada dip. Enjoy!
Loved it! Fast and easy and super yummy.
So glad to hear it was a hit! Thanks for your review Brandy :)
This is such a great variation on standard taco dip!
This is absolutely delicious! I love that it’s such a crowd pleaser for the whole family
I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed it!
This never disappoints! It’s so simple and easy! We love it!
This dip is one of my favorites!
Delicious!! A big hit at our Christmas block party!
So glad it was a hit :)