This collection of delicious recipes are full of the best ways to start out a meal or enjoy a snack with festive flare. These Mexican appetizers are the easiest way to turn any occasion into a fiesta.
Table of Contents
Easy Mexican Appetizers
I could eat Mexican food literally every day. My absolute favorite type of Mexican food are all of the delicious appetizers (especially dips!). Give me a big bowl of chips and salsa or a cheesy queso dip and I’m a happy girl.
If I had to name my favorite type of food, Mexican food would be at the top of the list. I love the flavors, spices and colorful presentation every Mexican appetizer has – they are like art, only edible (which is the best kind of art in my opinion). Hang on to this post and the next time you need a great appetizer recipe, choose from these delicious salsas, dips and finger foods. They are all proven winners!
Mexican Appetizer Serving Tips
Whether you are serving these Mexican appetizers for Cinco de Mayo or just a weekend BBQ, there are a few questions that can help you calculate the amount of appetizers you will need and even the type of appetizers.
- Appetizers with dinner. If you are planning on serving dinner to your guests, plan on each guest having 3-5 appetizer pieces.
- Appetizers only: If you will only be serving appetizers, plan on each guest having 10-12 appetizers at a two hour party and then plan for 5 additional pieces for every hour after the initial two hours.
- Number of guests: Depending on your party size, it can vary how many Mexican appetizers you will need to make. Rule of thumb is that for a party with up to 10 people, serve around 2-3 appetizers. Over 10 people, plan on making another appetizer for every 5 additional people.
- Variety: Plan on a variety of hot and cold dishes as well take into consideration any dietary preferences. Heavier dishes are great for an appetizer only party while lighter dishes make sense if you plan on serving dinner.
- Reducing the heat in dishes: If you have guests that are sensitive to spice, adding lime juice, lemon juice, a touch of honey or even butter can help reduce the heat. You can also top the dish with sour cream or avocados to help as well.
There are so many great options for Mexican party food! From taquitos, to tostadas to enchiladas and chimichangas! I love to serve taco soup with a few of the Mexican finger foods listed below and everyone always loves when I make a nacho bar.
While baked chicken wings, deviled eggs and pigs in a blanket go well for any type of party, when it comes to Mexican appetizer recipes, I rely on this list of tried and true favorites.
Salsa, guacamole and chips are always favorites that you can add to any Mexican appetizer spread. Any of these Mexican sides is also a great choice.
Chips and Salsa
Chips and salsa are a weekly, if not daily event at our house. It’s the best cold Mexican appetizer in my opinion! Thankfully our friends feel the same way, so when we have get-togethers, I often end up preparing one of the salsa recipes below to snack on before the main course.
- Easy Salsa Verde Recipe. Also called green salsa or tomatillo salsa verde, it’s perfect to pair with tortilla chips with a hint of sweet and spicy taste.
- Homemade Tortilla Chips. Once you make your own tortilla chips it will be hard to buy store bought again! Also try these cinnamon tortilla chips.
- Restaurant Style Salsa. The perfect classic appetizer for any Mexican party!
- Black Bean Salsa. Loaded with black beans, tomatoes, corn, peppers and red onion then tossed with lime juice and cilantro. Perfect for scooping!
- Mango Salsa Recipe. Perfect for any summertime gathering, everyone will love the hint of sweet mango paired with peppers, onions and jalapeno for a kick of heat.
- 5-Ingredient Grilled Pineapple Salsa. Another warm weather favorite, this fruity salsa is a nice change from traditional salsas.
- Pico de Gallo. Chunky perfection and full of fresh tastes. This dip will disappear quickly!
- Roasted Salsa Recipe. Roasting your tomatoes along with the onion and jalapeno adds such great flavor that guests can’t resist.
- Avocado Salsa. A terrific combination of chunky guac and salsa that is irresistible.
Other Mexican Dip Recipes
When it comes to Mexican dip appetizers, I consider myself somewhat of an expert taste tester. As you can see from the list below, I’ve created (and consumed) quite the variety of recipes that are made to dip a yummy tortilla chip right into.
- Best 7 Layer Dip Recipe. It’s a classic dip at any Mexican party for good reason. It’s simple to put together and always crowd pleasing.
- Queso Dip with Chorizo. Chorizo adds fantastic texture and spice to this cheesy dip that is easy to make ahead!
- Homemade Queso Blanco Dip. This dip is simple with only 5 ingredients and hands off while it simmers in the crockpot.
- Best Guacamole Recipe. A classic that is a must for any Mexican spread.
- Cheesy Hot Corn Dip. Creamy with Mexican flavors, this cheesy dip will disappear fast!
- Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Dip. A hearty dip that is way easier than making enchiladas!
- Cream Cheese and Chili Queso Dip. With three ways to make this in a skillet, slow cooker or microwave, it’s a party must!
- Cowboy Caviar. Perfect for serving a large crowd it’s full of loads of colorful veggies and a tasty dressing!
- Velveeta Queso Recipe. All you need is Velveeta and Rotel for this party dip!
- Salsa Ranch Dressing. Perfect for guests who love salsa and creamy dips.
- Nacho Cheese Dip. No party is complete without a dip for their nachos and this is way better than any you can buy at the store.
- Mexican 5 Layer Dip. Not as many layers as your 7 layer, but still just as crowd pleasing and delicious.
- Ceviche. Not just for ordering out at a restaurant, make this fresh dip to add a touch of class to your spread.
- Bean Dip with Cream Cheese. Refried beans get an upgrade when combined with 3 kinds of cheese! Yum!
Mexican Finger Foods
I have an affinity for appetizers you can hold, especially these yummy Mexican finger foods. Anything that makes mealtime easier for my four kids is a winner in my book. I love that these appetizers are easy to grab and enjoy—no utensils (or fuss) necessary.
- Baked Nachos. The perfect snack for game day and customizable to your tastes.
- Taco Pockets. A handheld favorite with both kids and adults alike!
- BBQ Nachos. The perfect mix of crunchy, cheesy, salty and sweet.
- Jalapeno Poppers. No appetizer spread is complete without these bite sized poppers that are wrapped in bacon.
- Sheet Pan Nachos. Cheesy with shredded chicken, these nachos are great to serve a crowd.
- Taco Cups. Perfect for when your party guests will be walking around and mingling!
- 7 Layer Dip Cups. A portable way to serve this classic dip, guests will love their individual portions.
- Beef Taquitos: Cheesy and beefy these are winners when it comes to Mexican finger foods.
- Easy Chicken Flautas Recipe. Party guests will love these handheld fried flautas!
The Full List of Mexican Appetizers
Choose one, two or three of these easy Mexican appetizers for your next Taco tuesday or anytime you want to create a fiesta party atmosphere! They are crowd pleasing are sure to be a hit with friends, family and guests.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this list of easy Mexican appetizers! Which one of these are you most excited about?
Love easy appetizers? You may also like these easy Super Bowl appetizers, Christmas appetizers, or New Year’s Eve appetizers!
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Easy Mexican Appetizers
- 28 ounce can whole tomatoes , drained
- 20 ounces Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles , 2 cans
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup cilantro , finely chopped (more or less to taste)
- 1 ½ Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- Pinch of sugar , optional
If you like your salsa spicy, throw in a jalapeno
- In a blender or food processor combine all of the ingredients
- Pulse a few times then taste and adjust spices more or less until desired taste.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving to help flavors combine then serve as an appetizer with tortilla chips or top any favorite Mexican dish.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
These are all so perfect for a taco tuesday app, thank you!
So many awesome Mexican appetizers here! Great list!
Hope you enjoy! :)
Love how easy these were to make! My whole family loved them!
I’m so glad they were a hit!
Wow, This looks amazing ans a simple finger food for parties and friends get together. I have tried something similar to this but with white bread.
This is sure;y in my Must try list.
Well this recipe is enough for me, (maybe!) but certainly not enough to share with my family! Looks yummy!