Crispy parmesan crusted chicken is tender and juicy on the inside and slightly crunchy on the outside. It’s flavorful, cooked to perfection, and will be a new family favorite!
Table of Contents
Delicious Parmesan Crusted Chicken
This flavorful parmesan crusted chicken recipe is easy enough for a weeknight dinner but impressive enough to serve guests!
The success of this delicious dinner lies in the prep! First, chicken breasts are pounded into ¼ thickness which tenderizes them, then they are breaded with a two-step method that adheres the coating to the meat. The chicken is dipped in egg wash, and then a flavorful parmesan mixture before being pan fried until tender and golden brown.
It’s a restaurant-quality dish that can be enjoyed right at home!
When it comes to easy chicken recipes there is always room for one more to add to your dinner repertoire! This baked chicken parmesan recipe and baked ranch chicken are two other go-to dinner wins.
Why This Recipe Works
- Easy to make: This parmesan breaded chicken is ready in less than 30 minutes for a simple dinner.
- Flavorful: The breasts are coated in a flavorful Italian seasoned parmesan coating for bold tastes that everyone will love!
- Family friendly: You may want to make extra, both kids and adults alike love this crusted parmesan chicken!
- Versatile: You can make this on the stovetop or in your air fryer, so simple!
This crusted parmesan chicken features chicken breasts, Italian seasonings, and Parmesan cheese. You might already have all these ingredients on hand for dinner tonight!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Chicken breasts: You’ll need two large boneless, skinless breasts.
- Eggs: Needed to create an egg wash that helps seasonings adhere to the chicken.
- Flour: You can use all-purpose flour or naturally gluten free almond flour.
- Seasonings: Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Oil and butter: Oil helps your meat not stick to your skillet and butter adds a rich taste. You don’t need either if you opt to air fry your chicken, though.
- Garnishes: Fresh parsley and lemon wedges brighten the flavors!
How to Make Parmesan Crusted Chicken
It’s really simple to make this parm crusted cutlet! You might dirty a few bowls along the way, but the mouthwatering results are more than worth it.
- Cut and flatten meat: On a cutting board, slice each breast into 2 pieces, making 4 cutlets. Cover chicken with plastic wrap then use a flat side of a meat mallet to pound them evenly to 1/4-inch thickness. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine coating ingredients: In a shallow dish, whisk together the flour, parmesan, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder.
- Dredge chicken in egg wash: Using a fork or tongs, dredge 1 breast on both sides in the eggs, letting any excess runoff.
- Coat in parmesan mixture: Press the chicken lightly in the parmesan mixture with the back of the fork, then turn and repeat. Shake off excess coating and repeat with remaining pieces.
- Pan fry chicken: In a large, nonstick skillet, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add the breasts and cook for 4 minutes, or until golden brown on the bottom. Reduce temperature slightly if browning too quickly. Flip and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown on the bottom and center registers 165°F on a digital thermometer.
- Rest and serve: Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Allow resting 5 minutes before slicing. Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm with lemon wedges.
- Thin chicken cutlets: Do not skip the cutting and pounding step. Thicker pieces will not cook evenly and the exterior will burn before the interior is cooked through.
- No meat mallet: Use a rolling pin to flatten your meat.
- Mix fresh herbs in with coating: Swap the dried Italian seasoning for fresh herbs like parsley, thyme, and oregano.
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese: Not only tastes better but will melt better for a crispier coating.
- Instant read thermometer: Monitor the internal temperature of your cooked meat with a meat thermometer for accurate results. Once it reaches 165 degrees F, it’s done!
The beauty of this parmesan crusted chicken recipe is that it goes with so many side dishes for a complete meal! Here are a few favorites:
It’s somewhat similar because of the parmesan crust although there are a few differences. The restaurant version is marinated in Italian dressing, grilled, then topped with a creamy ranch parmesan crust with breadcrumbs.
Yes, keep in mind that it won’t be as crispy. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and prepare as directed up to step 6. Place cutlets on a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet. Spray them with olive oil cooking spray. Bake for 15 minutes or until the center registers 165 degrees F.
Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F. Spray uncooked coated breasts all over with olive oil spray. Place 2 cutlets in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Cook for 7 minutes.
Flip the parmesan crusted chicken over and air fry 3 to 4 minutes, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Set aside and repeat with remaining pieces.
If you need a gluten free breading for dietary reasons but also have a nut allergy, try crushed pork rinds for your breading option. Taste will be different but the crispy texture will be great!
Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Transform your leftovers into a new meal and make this one pot chicken parmesan pasta or use it to make a chicken Caesar wrap.
Want more 30 minute dinner ideas? Try my sheet pan pizza, bean and cheese burritos, or baked chicken breast!
More Easy Chicken DinnersBrowse all
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 large breasts)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon Ground black pepper , more if desired
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour , or almond flour
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil , more as needed
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- Chopped fresh parsley , for serving
- Lemon wedges , for serving
- On a cutting board, slice each chicken breast into 2 pieces, making 4 pieces total. Cover chicken with plastic wrap. Using a rolling pin or flat side of a meat mallet, pound evenly to 1/4-inch thickness. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a shallow dish, whisk eggs together until blended.
- In a second shallow dish, whisk together the flour, parmesan, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Toss chicken in flour mixture until coated.
- Using a fork or tongs, dredge 1 chicken breast on both sides in the eggs, letting any excess run off.
- Press the chicken lightly in the parmesan mixture with the back of the fork, then turn and repeat. Shake off excess coating and repeat with remaining chicken pieces.
- In a large, nonstick skillet, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts and cook 4 minutes, or until golden brown on bottom. Reduce temperature slightly if browning too quickly. Flip and continue to cook 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown on bottom and center registers 165°F on a digital thermometer.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Allow to rest 5 minutes before slicing. Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm with lemon wedges.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
This is my go-to healthy and quick meal on busy nights. Everyone in our family loves this chicken, I usually use my air fryer for this version and pair it with white rice and asparagus. So YUMMY!
Great idea! Sounds delicious!
I don’t think I want to cook chicken any other way after trying this! Loved the crust and how quick it was to make.
Parmesan crusted chicken was a hit! Made this chicken recipe for our weekend dinner, and my family can’t get over this excellent recipe! The chicken is so tender and so satisfying. Highly recommended!
Glad to hear the chicken recipe was a hit!