This Chicken Marsala recipe is restaurant quality and makes the perfect dish to impress your guests. It’s loaded with flavor and made in one pan in just 30 minutes!
We love to make this easy chicken marsala for a date night in. It’s simple, flavorful and only requires one pan. A couple of our other date night favorites are bolognese, steak, chicken parmesan, asparagus pasta and fettuccine alfredo. And don’t forget dessert! We love to make an easy no-bake cheesecake.
Easy chicken marsala
Chicken marsala is one of my favorite dishes to order when we go to a fancy restaurant. I absolutely love the flavor. This recipe is restaurant quality and perfect for a date night in. It’s also the perfect dish to impress your guests with!
The chicken marsala sauce tastes amazing and the chicken is so flavorful and tender. My husband and kids always give it rave reviews! Plus it’s made in one pan in just 30 minutes. Doesn’t get better than that!
What is chicken marsala made of?
- Chicken Breasts
- Garlic Powder
- Olive Oil
- Marsala Cooking Wine
- Chicken Broth
- Heavy Cream
How to make chicken marsala
Scroll down for printable chicken marsala recipe.
- Cut chicken breasts in half horizontally. Whisk together flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper in shallow dish, then coat chicken with flour mixture.
- Heat oil and butter over medium-high heat in large skillet. Lightly shake off excess flour from chicken, then place into skillet and cook 4-5 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through.
- Then cook mushrooms for 3 minutes (add more butter to skillet if needed). Pour in marsala wine and boil down for 1 minute to burn out alcohol. Then add chicken broth and let simmer 5-10 minutes.
- Once sauce begins to thicken, slowly whisk in cream and cook until it’s lightly simmering. Taste and add more cream and S&P if desired. Add chicken back to pan and cook additional 1-2 minutes.
- Serve chicken marsala over mashed potatoes, noodles or rice and garnish with fresh parsley or thyme.
What can I substitute for marsala wine?
I like to use marsala wine when making chicken marsala. It has a distinct taste and adds a savory and nutty flavor. It’s great when making caramelized sauces. If you can’t find marsala wine, you can also use dry or sweet cooking wine.
How do I thicken chicken marsala?
I love the texture of the chicken marsala sauce in this recipe. It’s creamy, thick and tastes delicious. If you’d like to thicken your marsala sauce even more, try adding in some additional flour (add a teaspoon at a time so that sauce doesn’t over thicken). Mix a teaspoon of flour with a teaspoon of water and add to sauce, then simmer until it thickens up.
What to serve with chicken marsala
- Mashed Potatoes
- Green Beans
- Brussels Sprouts
- French Bread, Garlic Bread or Rolls
Chicken Marsala Recipe
- 2 large boneless chicken breasts (about a pound)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons butter , more if needed
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup marsala cooking wine , can also use dry or sweet
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream , more if desired
S&P, to taste
Optional: Freshly chopped parsley or thyme
For serving: Mashed potatoes, noodles or rice
- Cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally to make 4 chicken fillets. Then whisk together the flour, garlic powder salt and pepper in a shallow dish. I usually add about 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to start. Then coat the chicken breasts in the flour mixture.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly shake off any excess flour from the chicken and then place into the skillet. Cook 4-5 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Add more butter if needed and then cook the mushroom for 3 minutes. Then pour in the marsala wine and boil down for a minute to burn out the alcohol. Then add in the chicken broth and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Once the sauce has begin to thicken, slowly whisk in the cream and cook until it has come to a light simmer. Taste and add more cream, S&P if desired. Then add the chicken back into the pan and cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Serve chicken over mashed potatoes, noodles or rice. Garnish with fresh parsley or thyme if desired.