BEST M&M Cookies – Super soft, chewy, crispy edges and full of chocolate! These M&M cookies taste like they came straight from a bakery!
It’s no secret that I love chocolate chip cookies. Or really any cookie recipe for that matter. :) They are my weakness. But throw some M&M’s in the mix and I’m in heaven. Seriously, these chocolate chip M&M cookies are absolutely incredible and one of the best cookies out there! I also can’t resist these brownie M&M cookies!
There’s just something about a warm chocolate chip M&M cookie that reminds me of my childhood. At my school growing up, they used to sell M&M cookies on Friday’s to raise money for the school and it was always such a treat when my mom let me buy one.
Over the years, I have been working on perfecting my M&M cookie recipe and these are in my opinion, the BEST M&M cookies ever! What makes them so yummy? They are thick and chewy, yet super soft on the inside while staying crisp around the edges. They also have the perfect ratio of chocolate chip to M&M’s. The more chocolate the better, right? ;)
Ingredients for M&M cookies
Below are the ingredients need to make this easy M&M cookie recipe. Many of these M&M ingredients are pantry staples that you already have on hand.
- Unsalted butter
- Light brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Chocolate chips
- Baking soda
How to make M&M cookies recipe
Scroll down for the printable M&M cookie recipe and video tutorial.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Using a mixer, cream together butter and sugars for 1 minute in a large bowl. Add in eggs and vanilla and mix.
- Next add flour, baking soda and salt and mix until combined. Fold in both chocolate chips and M&M’s. Refrigerate dough for 15-30 minutes.
- Scoop cookie dough with large cookie scoop onto baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Place extra M&M’s on top.
- Bake M&M cookies for 8-10 minutes, until tops are barely golden. Let set on pan for 2 minutes, then move to cooling rack.
Quick tips for M&M cookie recipe
Before you get started baking, check out my tips below. Follow these simple tricks and you’ll have the BEST M&M cookies in no time!
- Use a silpat baking mat for easy cleanup and no sticking.
- Refrigerate the dough, to help them stay thick and chewy.
- Use a large cookie scoop to scoop dough onto baking sheet. This ensures the M&M cookies are all equal size.
- Add extra M&M’s on top once the dough balls have been formed.
- Bake at 375°F to get them crispy around the edges, yet keeping them soft inside.
- Allow the M&M cookies to set on the pan for 2-3 minutes before moving them to a cooling rack.
Can you freeze M&M cookies?
Yes, these M&M cookies freeze very well. You can either freeze the baked M&M cookies or freeze the cookie dough. If freezing baked cookies, simply let cool completely then add to ziptop bag or freezer container. Store in freezer for about 2-3 months.
If you’d rather freeze the M&M cookie dough, simply scoop out dough and add to your prepared baking sheet. Freeze for about 30 minutes, or until cookie dough balls have hardened. Then add to a ziptop bag and store in the freezer for about 2-3 months. When ready to eat, add cookie dough balls to baking sheet while oven warms. The M&M cookies will most likely need to bake a few minutes longer than usual since the dough was frozen.
More M&M desserts:
M&M Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup M&M’s , plus more for tops if desired
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, using a mixer, cream together the butter and sugars for 1 minute. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt and stir mix just until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and M&M’s. Refrigerate dough for 15 to 60 minutes (up to 24 hours) if time allows.
- Using a large cookie scoop (about 3 Tablespoons), scoop the cookie dough onto the baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Place extra M&M’s on the top of the cookies if desired.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until the edges are barely golden brown. Allow cookies to set on pan for 2 minutes, and then remove to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
M&M cookies variations
We love to make different variations of these M&M cookies for all of the holidays. For some reason, the holiday M&M’s just taste better. IS IT JUST ME?! I feel like I’ve had a conversation about this with a few friends and we all agree.
We made these red white and blue M&M cookies for the 4th of July and the everyone loved them! You can also make holiday variations for Valentine’s Day, Easter, St. Patrick’s Day, Halloween and Christmas M&M cookies. Sometimes I like to turn them into festive M&M cookie bars or even make a layered M&M cookie mix in a jar to give as a holiday gift!