This homemade chili seasoning is super easy to make with 4 simple spices that you most likely already have in your pantry. It’s one of my favorite seasonings to use and adds great flavor to many dishes.
I love to make my own seasonings at home. It’s inexpensive, there are no added preservatives and they’re made with classic spices you probably already have on hand. A few of my other favorites to make are taco seasoning, Italian seasoning and an easy hamburger seasoning.
This chili seasoning is great to use in a pinch when a recipe calls for some and you don’t have any. You only need 4 spices to make it, which I bet you already have in your pantry. Most chili seasoning packets you buy in the store have extra sodium and salt, so make sure to taste your dish as you go and add more as needed. There’s really no need to buy a chili seasoning packet again. This homemade version comes together in minutes!
4 simple ingredients
To make the seasoning, simply mix the four ingredients below together in a bowl or jar (amounts included in printable recipe below).
- Chili powder: Adds a bold chili flavor and gives it a kick of heat.
- Cumin: Has a warm, earthy flavor with a subtle hint of spice.
- Onion powder: A sharp onion flavor.
- Garlic powder: Gives it that fragrant garlic aroma.
- For more heat, add a dash of cayenne or some red pepper flakes.
- Sometimes I’ll add in a teaspoon of dried oregano for even more flavor.
- Paprika is a great addition if you want to add a hint of smokiness.
- This seasoning mix doesn’t include salt and pepper, so be sure to taste your dish and add them in as you go.
- Make sure to use fresh spices for the best flavor. If they’ve been in your pantry for a few years, it’s time to upgrade!
If you have extra chili mix, simply pour it into an airtight container or jar and keep stored at room temperature for up to 6 months. You can double or even triple the recipe to have extra on hand throughout the fall season when soups are all the rage.
Ways to use chili seasoning:
- Homemade chili
- Turkey chili
- Cream cheese and chili queso dip
- Sprinkle on top of sweet potato fries or a baked potato
Homemade Chili Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine the chili powder, cumin, onion powder and garlic powder in a small bowl. Mix until well combined.
- If not using right away, store in an airtight container until ready to use.