This homemade chili seasoning is super easy to make with 4 simple spices that you most likely already have in your pantry. It’s one of my favorite seasonings to use and adds great flavor to many dishes.
Table of Contents
DIY Chili Seasoning
I love to make my own seasonings at home. It’s inexpensive, there are no added preservatives and they’re made with classic spices you probably already have on hand. A few of my other favorites to make are taco seasoning, Italian seasoning, steak rub and an easy hamburger seasoning.
This chili seasoning is great to use in a pinch when a recipe calls for some and you don’t have any. You only need 4 spices to make it, which I bet you already have in your pantry. Most chili seasoning packets you buy in the store have extra sodium and salt, so make sure to taste your dish as you go and add more as needed. There’s really no need to buy a chili seasoning packet again. This homemade version comes together in minutes!
4 Simple Ingredients
To make the seasoning, simply mix the four ingredients below together in a bowl or jar and keep on hand as your best secret ingredient.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Chili powder: Adds a bold chili flavor and gives it a kick of heat.
- Cumin: Has a warm, earthy flavor with a subtle hint of spice.
- Onion powder: A sharp onion flavor.
- Garlic powder: Gives it that fragrant garlic aroma.
How to Make Homemade Chili Seasoning
- Blend In a small bowl, whisk together chili powder, cumin, onion powder, and garlic powder until well combined.
- Store: Transfer to a jar and keep on hand up to 6 months to sprinkle in soups, chili, and stews.
- For more heat, add a dash of cayenne or some red pepper flakes.
- Sometimes I’ll add in a teaspoon of dried oregano for even more flavor.
- Paprika is a great addition if you want to add a hint of smokiness.
- This seasoning mix doesn’t include salt and pepper, so be sure to taste your dish and add them in as you go.
- Make sure to use fresh spices for the best flavor. If they’ve been in your pantry for a few years, it’s time to upgrade!
There are so many ways to use this seasoning. I love it in a big batch of chili, mixed with ground beef or turkey for tacos, or in a southwest-inspired soup.
Yes! You can double or even triple the recipe to have extra on hand throughout the fall season when soups are all the rage.
Feel free to make this seasoning your own by adding cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, turmeric, garam masala, or even cinnamon.
If you have extra chili mix, simply pour it into an airtight container or jar and keep stored at room temperature for up to 6 months.
Ways to use Chili Seasoning
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Homemade Chili Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a small bowl, whisk the chili powder, cumin, onion powder, and garlic powder until well combined.
- If not using right away, store in an airtight container until ready to use.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!