This healthy turkey chili recipe is hearty and delicious with plenty of flavor! Can easily be made in the slow cooker as well. Nothing beats a comforting bowl of chili!
As soon as the cooler weather hits, I immediately start craving a big bowl of chili. While I love my easy homemade chili recipe, sometimes I’m looking for a healthier alternative. Queue this healthy turkey version! It’s packed with protein, light on fat and is FULL of flavor.
This simple turkey chili recipe is made with lean ground turkey, chili seasoning and 3 types of beans. We love to top it off with all of our favorite toppings including cheese, sour cream, avocado, cilantro and chips. It makes it a little less healthy, but oh so yummy. It’s also SO delicious served with a warm slice of cornbread or cornbread croutons on top. YUM!
The thing I love most about this healthy chili recipe is that it’s even better the next day. I’m not a huge fan of leftovers, but I will definitely eat this soup the day after. It is that good!
Reasons to love it:
- Protein packed. Between the beans and turkey, each serving has almost 30g protein!
- Light on fat. There’s nothing fatty in this turkey chili recipe! Only 5g fat per serving.
- Made in one pot. Everything cooks together in one pot, making cleanup a breeze!
- Freezer-friendly. This soup freezes beautifully. Store leftovers in freezer for busy nights!
- Customizable. Add in extra veggies or leave out anything you don’t have on hand. Super easy to customize!
How to make healthy turkey chili
Scroll down for the printable recipe and step-by-step video tutorial.
- BROWN. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-heat. Add in the chopped onion, peppers and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, or until the onions become translucent. Stir in the ground turkey and cook until lightly browned. Drain any excess grease if needed, then stir in seasonings.
- SIMMER. Next add in the chicken broth, tomatoes, beans and corn. Bring chili to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes. Then taste and add more salt and seasonings if desired.
- SERVE. Ladle turkey chili into bowls and add your favorite toppings like sour cream, sliced avocado, red onion and crushed tortilla chips. Enjoy!
This turns into an easy slow cooker recipe as well. Nothing better than homemade chili simmering in the slow cooker all day…especially in the fall or winter!
- Simply follow the instructions, such as cooking the onions and ground turkey up until adding the seasonings.
- Then place the remaining ingredients in the slow cooker with the cooked turkey.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
This soup also makes a great freezer meal! It holds up really well in the freezer and is perfect to pull out for busy weeknights. To freeze, follow the simple steps below:
- Place cooled soup in a freezer bag or container (leaving room for it to expand).
- Add a freezer label with the name of the recipe and date you cooked it.
- Store in freezer for up to 6 months.
- To thaw, let sit in fridge overnight or thaw in microwave.
- Then let simmer in a pot on low heat until warm.
- Sour cream: We love to add a dollop of sour cream to make it a little more creamy. You could use Greek yogurt for a lighter option.
- Shredded cheese: The cheese gets all melty and delicious…yum!
- Avocado or guacamole: Feel free to add some avocado slices or even a dollop of guacamole on top.
- Tortilla chips or strips: Crushed tortilla strips or tortilla chips add the perfect crunch!
- Cilantro: A delicious Mexican herb that adds an extra oomph of flavor.
- Green or red onions: I usually add about a Tablespoon of green or red onions.
What readers are saying about this healthy chili
“Best chili I’ve ever had!! Sooo easy and yummy!” – Hannah
“I love this chili! I have made it a bunch of times with varying beans and it always comes out amazing!” – Michelle
“This was super easy and really great! Loved that it’s a healthier version of chili, and was perfect for a chilly, winter evening. My husband loved it, too!” – Molly
“Love, love, love this chili!! Will work perfectly for meal prep. I love leftovers and these are amazing! Thanks for the great share.” – Lynda
More chili recipes to try:
- White chicken chili
- Easy 3-ingredient chili
- Best taco soup
- Instant Pot Chili
- Pumpkin chili
- Crockpot chili
Healthy Turkey Chili
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2-3 Tablespoons chili powder (more to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-2 cups chicken broth (depending on how thick you like your chili)
- 30 ounces petite diced tomatoes (two 15 oz cans)
- 15 ounce can dark red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 15 ounce can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 15 ounce can white chili beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 1/2 cups corn (canned or frozen, optional)
Optional toppings: cheese, sour cream, cilantro, avocados, tortilla chips
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-heat. Stir in the onion, peppers and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the onions become translucent. Add in the ground turkey and cook until lightly browned. Drain if needed. Stir in seasonings.
- Next add in the chicken broth, tomatoes and beans. Add corn if desired. Bring chili to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes. The longer the better. Taste and add more salt and seasonings if desired.
- Ladle into bowls and top with your favorite toppings.