Healthy Turkey Chili – This easy recipe is hearty and delicious with plenty of flavor! Can easily be made in the slow cooker as well. Nothing beats a comforting bowl of turkey chili!
Healthy turkey chili
This simple turkey chili recipe is made with lean ground turkey, chili seasonings and 3 types of beans. We love to top it off with all of our favorite toppings including cheese, sour cream, avocado, cilantro and chips. It makes it a little less healthy, but oh so yummy. It’s also SO delicious served with a warm slice of cornbread. YUM!
The thing I love most about this healthy chili recipe is that it’s even better the next day. I’m not a huge fan of leftovers, but I will definitely eat this healthy turkey chili the day after. It is that good!
How to make slow cooker turkey chili
This turkey chili recipe is really easy to make in the slow cooker as well. Nothing better than slow cooker turkey chili…especially in the fall or winter!
- Simply follow the instructions, such as cooking the onions and ground turkey up until adding the seasonings.
- Then place the remaining ingredients in the slow cooker with the cooked turkey.
- Cook turkey chili on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
Toppings to add to healthy chili recipe
Sour cream: We love to add a dollop of sour cream to our turkey chili. It makes it a little more creamy. You could use Greek yogurt too.
Shredded cheese: I typically sprinkle some shredded Mexican cheese on top of my healthy turkey chili. The cheese gets all melty and delicious.
Avocado or guacamole: Feel free to add some avocado slices or even a dollop of guacamole.
Tortilla chips or strips: One of my favorite toppings to add is crushed tortilla chips or strips. Adds the perfect crunch!
Cilantro: I’m a huge fan of cilantro and add extra to almost all Mexican recipes that I make. So flavorful and yummy!
Green or red onions: I usually add about a tablespoon of green or red onions to my turkey chili bowl. Gives it an extra boost of flavor.
Healthy Turkey Chili Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2-3 Tablespoons chili powder (more to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-2 cups chicken broth (depending on how thick you like your chili)
- 30 ounces petite diced tomatoes (two 15 oz cans)
- 15 ounces dark red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 15 ounces black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 15 ounces white chili beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 1/2 cups corn (canned or frozen, optional)
- Optional toppings: cheese, sour cream, cilantro, avocados, tortilla chips
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, peppers and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the onions become translucent. Add in the ground turkey and cook until lightly browned. Drain if needed. Stir in seasonings.
- Next add in the chicken broth, tomatoes and beans. Add corn if desired. Bring turkey chili to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes. The longer the better. Taste and add more salt and seasonings if desired.
- Ladle turkey chili into bowls and top with your favorite toppings.