Soft and moist pumpkin bundt cake topped with a rich cream cheese frosting. This easy and delicious cake makes a great fall dessert!
Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake
One of my family’s favorite fall traditions is to go to the pumpkin patch. I still remember going with my family as a little girl and it is one of my favorite memories. We always have so much fun picking out pumpkins and enjoying pumpkin donuts and apple cider.
Since fall is right around the corner, I was in the mood to do a little pumpkin baking. This pumpkin bundt cake was the first pumpkin recipe of the season. And I’m sure there will be many more, because I love pumpkin! YUM!
- Generously butter the pan. This is super important! Make sure to generously butter the entire bundt pan (even in the creases). I also like to dust the pan with flour after greasing it. This helps keep the cake from getting stuck in the pan.
- Don’t overmix. Mix the batter just until combined so that the cake stays soft and fluffy. Overmixing can lead to a chewy and dense texture.
- Let cool before removing from pan. Once you remove the cake from the oven, wait about 10 to 15 minutes before removing it from the pan. It needs to cool a bit in order for it to come out whole. Then once it’s had time to cool, simply place the cooling rack on top of the pan and flip it over.
Bundt Cake Toppings
There are many toppings that taste delicious with pumpkin bundt cake. My personal favorite is cream cheese frosting, but I’ve also used salted caramel sauce and maple frosting. All are absolutely delicious!
- Cream cheese frosting
- Maple cream cheese frosting
- Powdered sugar icing
- Caramel sauce
- Powdered sugar
- Crushed nuts
- Chocolate ganache
Perfect Frosting Consistency
You want the frosting to have a drippier consistency than regular cream cheese frosting does. It should be more like a cream cheese glaze. To give it this texture, simply add a few more Tablespoons of milk or cream. I’d recommend adding 1 Tablespoon at a time until the frosting has the perfect drippy consistency (usually about 1/4 cup total).
Mini Pumpkin Bundt Cakes
This recipe is also great for making mini pumpkin bundt cakes. Simply use a mini bundt cake pan and bake for about 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. The recipe will make 18 minis.
TIP: This ziplock bag trick will save you if making the mini version! All you do is pour the batter in a ziplock bag and then cut of the tip. It makes it super easy to add the batter to the pans without making a huge mess. Trust me, I’ve been there!
More Delicious Pumpkin Desserts:
Pumpkin Bundt Cake
Optional mix-in: 3/4 cup chocolate chips
Optional toppings: powdered sugar, cream cheese frosting, caramel sauce, chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a bundt cake pan very well in all the creases and then dust with flour. In a bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, pumpkin spice and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and vanilla until just combined. Then stir in pumpkin, vegetable oil and sour cream.
- Slowly add flour mixture to wet mixture and stir until just combined. Add chocolate chips if desired. Then pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes clean. Don't let it overcook. Let the cake cool for 10-15 minutes in the pan and then place the cooling rack on top of it and flip over. Let cool completely.
- When ready to serve, enjoy plain, add cream cheese frosting or drizzle with salted caramel sauce.
- This recipe also makes 18 mini pumpkin bundt cakes. Bake for 18-20 minutes if using mini bundt cake pans.
- If using my cream cheese frosting recipe to top your cake, you will likely need to add a few more Tablespoons of milk or heavy cream so that it turns into a drippier frosting that will coat the bundt cake. I like to add a Tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency is met (usually about 1/4 cup total).